• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun case for AR15?

I'm looking to pick up a gun case for my AR15 with a carry handle and scope. Any suggestions for a good case? i'm not looking to spend a couple hundred. just a simple hard case so carrying my rifle form the range to home doesn't cause people to freak out.

Thanks

82632.jpg

Suggestion #1: http://www.basspro.com/Plano-ProMax-Pillar-Lock-Scoped-Rifle-Case/product/1112130501102/

Suggestion #2: http://www.basspro.com/Plano-Protector-Double-Scoped-Gun-Case/product/29213/

Either one will fit your requirement of a simple, inexpensive hard case. I have one of each, and they work well for what they are. Not equal to a Storm or Pelican case, but they get the job done.

If you still think it screams "GUN!" to people you could always use a golf bag. [wink]

ETA: I forgot to add that you should measure the height of the rifle at the highest point to make sure that it will fit in the case. The dimensions of the case are usually stated in the product description. I also wouldn't suggest using the cheaper cases for long term storage. I've found the cheaper foam tends to trap moisture. It's not a problem going back and forth to the range, but if you leave it in there for several weeks you may find some surface rust.

Last edited:
I have this one, and it does the trick. It's not super strong plastic, and its not super huge. BUT it fits my AR with a scope attached, as well as my Mosin Nagant (each by themselves of course, not together in the same case)

I gotta ask SKS Ray what type of bag he uses. It's a double rifle bag, and he said they range from $50-110 depending on the features and such.

I got a great case for $25 at a walmart in weymouth a month ago . My AR with scope fit with tons of room. Its a soft case but pretty sturdy and has 4 pouches for mags in the side

A lot of the soft cases are not wide enough in the middle for a scoped AR. know your dimensions when shopping. Most hard cases seem to work.

Good luck.

Hmm, I have an extra hard case or two. think I'll start a karma thread.

I have this one, and it does the trick. It's not super strong plastic, and its not super huge. BUT it fits my AR with a scope attached, as well as my Mosin Nagant (each by themselves of course, not together in the same case)

I gotta ask SKS Ray what type of bag he uses. It's a double rifle bag, and he said they range from $50-110 depending on the features and such.

Yep, for a cheap case it works well. I suggested the second one because it looks less like a gun case, which the OP said was a concern. If the OP really wanted to mask what he was transporting, separate the upper from the lower and get a smaller rectangular hard case that will hold both, one above the other. I have a couple of Galati Gear soft bags that will easily hold a takedown .22 rimfire, but they don't work well for an AR.

Doesn't Ma. require a Hard case ( locked) for transporting an AR ?

MGL Section 131C. said:
(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

I think as long as it's in the trunk you're good.

This is kind of interesting:

MGL Section 131C. said:
(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any state or the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States;

So I guess if you're in the national guard you can drive around with a loaded AR across your lap? Same if you work for USPS or any random government job?

As for transporting it on foot:

Section 12D. said:
(b) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun, unless such rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case.

Interestingly, it doesn't say "secure" here like it does in the vehicles one... It just says case. I would imagine a soft case should be fine.

Last edited:
the problem i run into is that my scope sits on top of my AR15 and is way to much height for the planco cases. thanks for the help everyone. i might be able to find a good one at the gun show at the Big E on the 27th/28th

Back
Top Bottom