• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun carts.....What do you use?

I posted this same inquiry on NationalMatch.US.com a while ago and ended up with a thread about 3 pages long.
What is does everyone use to cart all thier gun stuff around the range. I've seen every commercial variant known to mankind.
I know the "Cowboy" crowd uses all kinds of wheeled contraptions to move the masses of shooting hardware from stage to stage. When I skirmished I had a cart to move all my BP stuff around, to and from the various ranges back to where we camped.
Now, with the HP bug biting at my butt, it's quite evident the trek from the 600 yd line to the pits with all my sh*t draped over and hung off me like a Christmas tree is something I'm not gonna get caught doing again.
The wheel kits for the stools doesn't impress me.
I've got a few 14 inch wheels, axles, and 1 1/2 angle in stock that I won't have to dig too hard to find. Maybe rig it so the AR sits in its own rigid case, horizontal and secure.
Anybody have any comments, suggestions or observations based on past experiences?

I just got a photo of the one I ordered from a company in NY ($250) for use at three gun matches. I'll post the contact info once I pick it up in 2 weeks, since I don't know if the owner uses his personal address for normal business.

There is sufficient room under the seat for a handgun & gear bag (the seat is hinged for access); a pullout shelf in the seat (not visible in photo) and brackets for the rifle and shotgun on each side of the cart. The thing folds down to a flat profile for transport.
cart.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think any range officers would have a problem with a rifle stowed in the horizontal position, especially if it was contained in a case with a chamber flag easily viewed from above?

Cledus J. Crabb said:
Do you think any range officers would have a problem with a rifle stowed in the horizontal position, especially if it was contained in a case with a chamber flag easily viewed from above?

Nope

A collapsible luggage cart that I bought at Staples for something like $20.00...

s0068520_std.jpg

A couple of bungee cords keeps things secured to the cart.

When I first started going to MRA all I had was one 2-gun pistol case and a small range bag. Early on, I started noticing shooters wheeling in their guns and gear on various carts and two-wheelers. My initial reaction was "WTF is with these people?". It didn't take long to find out... now I have my own cart to haul all my gear and I'm thinking about either getting a second or larger one to haul my ever growing collection. [smile]

Rob,
The wheels on that look a bit small. It could be a chore pulling it around some of the IPSC ranges.
By the way, are you going to the Ct. Multigun?

I have used this cart for three years and really like it. It was designed for beach fishubg, but works great on the range. Tubes are sized just right for my moon clips too.

I made holders for three gun to hold the rifle and shotgun along with my Shooter's Connection bag and a small cooler.

Regards,

1336.JPG

Another plug for the Ray-Vin product. Got mine about three years ago - complete kit with stool, wheels, handle - along with the scope stand. It has been great! Wheels are pneumatic and big enough for most terrain.

Only complaint about the scope stand was that it was too short - but that has been upgraded (5' instead of 4' pole) in the latest version. The neat thing is that he takes comments from customers and makes constant product improvements.

bumping this from the dead: is anyone aware of any other distributors who sold the Ray-Vin kits?

they sold out before perry, and their old supplier of tubing went under, and they havent been able to find a new cost-effective supplier...so as of now, the Ray Vin cart-conversions are no more (at least for the time being).

the Schneller Manf. cart is nice...i mean REALLY nice. my buddy has one....but we're talking $450+ once it's outfitted, and it still doesnt include a bag (i could always canabalize my creedmoor stool).

Creedmoor is making wheel-kits, as is championschoice, but neither seemed all that sturdy in person.

Gun carts

If you do a google search on gun carts, you'll find a bunch of different carts available to buy or build. I built one for SASS based on a design by Roland Craps. It's pretty big and heavy plus even though it folds up it taks up a lot of room in the back of my 4Runner. I built it beause I figured it would be cheaper than buying one. Wasn't.

If I was going to do it again I'd look at one of these:

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=194/prd194.htm

If you do a google search on gun carts, you'll find a bunch of different carts available to buy or build. I built one for SASS based on a design by Roland Craps. It's pretty big and heavy plus even though it folds up it taks up a lot of room in the back of my 4Runner. I built it beause I figured it would be cheaper than buying one. Wasn't.

If I was going to do it again I'd look at one of these:

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=194/prd194.htm

for $350, i'd just pony up and buy the Schneller/Creedmoor.

i've looked at SASS style carts. they're FAR to large/heavy, and seeing as i have a pickup truck (note: no cap/tonneau), i have to live with limited space with the back seats folded up. if i needed to carry 3-4 rifles/shotgun plus hundreds of rounds of ammunition, that'd be necessary.

my list of crap at the range:

rifle
~ 200 rounds of ammunition (spare ammo included)
shooting coat
shooting mat
scope+scope stand

thats about it. the misc. stuff i can stuff in my small range bag that gets tossed over my shoulder. honestly the RayVin kit was an AWESOME setup, but they're no longer available. at this point, i think my only option is the Schneller (or build my own, which might be a viable option if i can figure out a good system for mounting crap to the side of the cart)

The best and cheapest way to go is get an old baby jogging stroller. Usually these can be had used very cheap at tag sales or even found for free. Then order "Shooting Cart Hooks" from Rugged Gear $34.95. I use the cart for Sporting Clays and even Skeet and Trap. It holds everything that me and the wife need. A spare 6 pack cooler mounted up front makes a nice soft place to set your barrels in. Total cost way under $100

I bought my Schneller used off of a guy on NationalMatch.com for $200. He had all the extras added on: rifle hooks, verticle rifle rest, quick-detatch handle, acces. shelf, verticle scope stand rest, etc.. I really like it.
At ranges where I don't have to walk far, I use my old stool, sling the rifle, and carry everything, but when it's too long of a walk, the cart pays for itself.

I've seen a lot of these http://www.tipkemfg.com/foldit/ out at Camp Perry and think it's a very good option.

Last edited:
I've seen a few of these out there. I believe Brownells, Amazon, K-Mart and others carry them. I think Bass Pro has about the best price at about $70.00

BJs has (had? they were with seasonal stuff when I saw them so they may be gone now) these with a canopy on them. My wife was interested in one as a beach cart, but they seemed a bit narrow for our chairs. I think it was $70 there.

BJs has (had? they were with seasonal stuff when I saw them so they may be gone now) these with a canopy on them. My wife was interested in one as a beach cart, but they seemed a bit narrow for our chairs. I think it was $70 there.

I saw some blue ones at BJ's but not the same as the Mac Sports

Back
Top Bottom