• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gun cabinet

First, if you read the decision, you'll realize that there were special circumstances in that case such that there was a exceptional risk upon which the court predicated its decision. As a result, it's a stretch to say that the decision is applicable to the general person, even in that district. Regardless, simply install one of the cable locks approved by the State Police on each gun in the case. Even a Massachusetts court would be reluctant to judge a storage lock inadequate to meet the requirements of the law when the State Police have explicitly determined that it does, pursuant to a related but more restrictive provision of the law.

Ken

Ammo boxes

My father has a really nice wood working shop and a lot of talent. I have been thinking about making one for myself. I'll post pics when it's done. If people are interested I can probably make some up. Not sure what it would cost but I won't work with softwood. By the time you get done remaking pieces that get dinged or dented it isn't any cheaper.

Holy necro-thread. Good on you for not starting a new one.
One would reasonably assume that safe works with MGL, as would I. From what I understand, locked and loaded is legal in MA. Also, from what I understand you can have ammo in there as well, loaded gun or not. If it’s a secure safe, you can have ammo in there as well as a loaded HD gun. I believe.
I keep saying “from what I understand” because having read the storage and transportation statutes, I’m still iffy on the whole subject. It’s MA after all.

No MGL requires separating ammo from gun when stored in a residence, so store it in the safe if you wish. Just be aware that in case of fire, lots of ammo in a safe = bomb that can injure firefighters (shrapnel from exploding safe).

MGL allows you to store a loaded gun in a residence (locked up, please do NOT use a trigger/cable lock on a loaded gun . . . for safety reasons).

In a vehicle all long guns can never be loaded "in or on" a MV. It is unclear about storing a loaded handgun in a MV so unless it is on your person it is ill advised at best and MAY be illegal.

No MGL requires separating ammo from gun when stored in a residence, so store it in the safe if you wish. Just be aware that in case of fire, lots of ammo in a safe = bomb that can injure firefighters (shrapnel from exploding safe).

MGL allows you to store a loaded gun in a residence (locked up, please do NOT use a trigger/cable lock on a loaded gun . . . for safety reasons).

In a vehicle all long guns can never be loaded "in or on" a MV. It is unclear about storing a loaded handgun in a MV so unless it is on your person it is ill advised at best and MAY be illegal.

Great thank you so much guys !
Yea I found this old thread and thought it should pop up on top again if I post something :)

NFPA and Mass Fire regs require (and rightly so) that ammo be stored in wood cabinets of large enough size to allow for expansion of gases in case of fire.
Cite?

For your reading pleasure:

Just be aware that in case of fire, lots of ammo in a safe = bomb that can injure firefighters (shrapnel from exploding safe).
Smokeless,
or just black powder?

P. S. Will a 1911 Commander stored in Condition 1 with 230Gr JHP
penetrate the sheet metal of a Stack-On?
Asking for a friend.

Cite?

For your reading pleasure:

Smokeless,
or just black powder?

P. S. Will a 1911 Commander stored in Condition 1 with 230Gr JHP
penetrate the sheet metal of a Stack-On?
Asking for a friend.
Either powder when fully contained will react violently in a fire.

Yes, if the round in the chamber cooks off it could penetrate the thin sheet metal cabinet.

Either powder when fully contained will react violently in a fire.
Glad there's a virtual safety vent in our safe. (Unused lag bolt hole).

Yes, if the round in the chamber cooks off it could penetrate the thin sheet metal cabinet.
Bummer.

For me, the bigger risk would be unloading/reloading the gun every time I left the house.
Bullet setback, unnecessary manipulation, ... - it's a fool's game.

But thanks.

Back
Top Bottom