• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gun cabinet

Yes, under the statute.

Of course, under recent case law, it might prove inadequate. As a deterrent to criminals, they are useless; as protection against fire, equally worthless. I sold mine 7 years ago and bought a safe.

For storing ammunition (not firearms or long arms), would one of those cheap Stack-On metal cabinets suffice? I already have a safe, but I'd like to maximize the amount of space for storing actual firearms in there and offload my ammunition to a separate unit.

For storing ammunition (not firearms or long arms), would one of those cheap Stack-On metal cabinets suffice? I already have a safe, but I'd like to maximize the amount of space for storing actual firearms in there and offload my ammunition to a separate unit.

Yes.

im looking for a nice wooden gun cabinet with a glass window, would such a cabinet be with in the law to store long guns in mass?.

IMO if it locks it is "within the law" but if you live in an anti town and have
an LTC, I could easily see some anti chief trying to do the "unsuitable person"
wallhack on you come renewal time. eg, something along the lines of:

"WAH! someone who stores guns in a chinsy glass cabinet should not have an
LTC.... wah." etc.

-Mike

Case law in MA says otherwise.

Yeah, I had forgotten about the "wooden cabinet lady" there, amongst
other things. It seems to be that "safe storage" isn't really as well
defined in this state as one would be led to believe.

What if gun locks are involved? I mean the way the law is worded,
theoretically one should be covered if you threw a cable lock on the action
and tossed a gun in your closet, but "reality" shows things being a lot
worse than that.

-Mike

I still have a friend with a glass front case. Of course, there is a 2x6 down the back with a large eye bolt and fender washers through which runs a cable lock through all the trigger guards. Where he lives, he's probably just fine.

Still, I'll stick with the safe thanks....

Still, I'll stick with the safe thanks....

+1, since I am of the opinion that locks and safes only serve to keep honest people honest, I choose to make my priority the security of my RTKBA. While a cabinet with a glass front may serve the letter of the law why take a chance when a low end safe can be had for $500 or less.

replace glass front with Lexan expensive but it should give any B&E artist a run for his money

If he's already managed to get inside the house, a little plastic isn't going to stop him... The door frame may break before the lexan, if the lexan is thick enough, but I don't think the thief will be too concerned...

There are two problems I see with this kind of case:
1) it is just not really secure
2) you are advertising you guns to anyone who comes into your house, invited or otherwise.

yes but no

I think a wooden gun cabinet would great to a thief. I suggest you
get something that is a little more difficult to access. The lexan idea
is marginal as little moulding on the inside of the door frames are holding
it in.

JimB

Lexan is NOT just plastic it was developed for NASA by GE for helmets for space suits
etc it's very impact resistant and highly heat resistant. I use it for covers over my cellar windows to keep out the local undesirables But I do agree with JimB the trim can be pooped out easily. Spring for a nice safe and be done with it

Lexan is NOT just plastic it was developed for NASA by GE for helmets for space suits
etc it's very impact resistant and highly heat resistant. I use it for covers over my cellar windows to keep out the local undesirables But I do agree with JimB the trim can be pooped out easily. Spring for a nice safe and be done with it

I'll happily agree it is better than glass regarding impact resistance. No question. It's just that in this case it is a distinction witout a difference. It will not keep the bad guy out. And that, in the end, is what matters.

Well they do make a good "decoy", toss a couple cheap plinkers in and keep the expensive goodies in a stronger container.

Kinda O/T but;
If you want to get serious about concealment then a false wall is the way to go. You don't need to create a huge space, just something wide enough for a RSC.

You can get two (or more) good size RSC's and all the building materials for far less than the cost of a premium safe and still have $$ left over for insurance.

Lexan adds virtually NOTHING to the security of a wooden display cabinet. Ten seconds with a prybar and the doors are off; even more subtle is just jamming a blade screwdriver into the lock and rotating the entire mechanism so the door opens.

If you look just to the right of this picture... You'll see that my grandfather still has one in his living room... Granted he lives in the South, but I'm sure that this law will soon be in place down there at some point... I just hope that he doesn't have to see it happen.

DadHadley.jpg

Evan, if you're still looking for a glass fronted cabinet, the local weekly paper has a for sale ad in it for such an item. They want $100 for it. Let me know if you want me to get the phone # for you.

Ross

storage issues

Never store ammunition or powder in a metal cabinet of any kind. NFPA and Mass Fire regs require (and rightly so) that ammo be stored in wood cabinets of large enough size to allow for expansion of gases in case of fire. Metal boxes can build very high pressures when fire starts in or around them. I built lockable cabinets of 1/2" pine to store my ammo in.

Never store ammunition or powder in a metal cabinet of any kind. NFPA and Mass Fire regs require (and rightly so) that ammo be stored in wood cabinets of large enough size to allow for expansion of gases in case of fire. Metal boxes can build very high pressures when fire starts in or around them. I built lockable cabinets of 1/2" pine to store my ammo in.

I don't remember anything in MGL's specifically requiring a WOOD cabinet for
finished/commercial ammunition. Maybe it is in the storage regs for
powder, but not for finished ammo.

-Mike

I don't remember anything in MGL's specifically requiring a WOOD cabinet for
finished/commercial ammunition. Maybe it is in the storage regs for
powder, but not for finished ammo.

-Mike

Mike, re-read what he wrote. It's in the CMRs under the Fire Marshall's Office.

Translated:

- If you violate those regs, you won't be arrested or prosecuted for it.

- If you violate those regs, your insurance company may rightfully refuse to pay any claims.

Yeah, I'm not a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination.

Does that also apply to the metal milsurp "ammo cans"? Should ammo NOT be stored in them??

A recent ruling in the courts found that the owner of a wooden gun locker was negligent and responsible when his son dismantled the side, took a firearm and reassembled it. The son later commited suicide with the firearm. This is in this years LEO's annual Mass laws update.

Back
Top Bottom