• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun buy back fun

Just had a though - someone should show up at gun buy back events and make offers to people bringing their guns in, if nothing else to educate them on the actual value. A lot of great deals could be had :)

Unless you're an FFL and unless the people turning in guns are properly licensed, what you're proposing would not be legal if you in fact did by their guns.

Let me try to restate what I think your intent is in a way that would be very appropriate and educational. Set up a table near the gun buy back, at a place you'd not be trespassing our could otherwise be lawfully ordered to move and off "Free Firearms Appraisals" along with instructions on how to legally obtain top dollar for unwanted firearms.

there.

The problem with buying from people going to a gun buy back event is that you would have to interact with people going to a gun buy back event.

No thank you.

I'm just gonna stake out the local nursing homes and ask if anyone has an STG-44 sitting in their attic they want to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I don't see a problem with getting a small moving truck or a van, with large vinyl lettering "we pay top dollar for used guns, cash money $$$" and park it next to a police station, then have another car with a few "runners" who would drive the person to an FFL near by. That should be perfectly legal, but cops won't like it and will try to find some way to shoot your dog.

Actually, I think it's a pretty good idea. If we had a dozen licensed gun owners with some cash, I'd totally do it. You probably make a little cash for your trouble and cops will have nothing but BB guns to show for.

Last edited:
What if you come across a gun that was stolen and you try and transfer it from the thief to you? How would that work?

What if you come across a gun that was stolen and you try and transfer it from the thief to you? How would that work?

I don't know about "oiled", but that's a risk, assuming that the thief is dumb enough and owner/cops catch on that. Some transactions will fail, but you should be able to make up for buying STG-44 for $100.[laugh]

You would exercise your best judgement, I suppose, to profile the guy. You would also tell them the transfer process checks the serial number and watch for the signs. Besides, who in their right mind would steal a gun and then bring it to the police for a $50 buyback?

Feel free.

I"m sure that the local PD, or whomever is running the show, will be quite helpful, and welcoming.

[laugh]

The real issue, IMO, is that most of the people turning the gun in are likely unlicensed; therefore, they know nothing about gun laws; therefore, you will be profiled as a "gun show loophole terrorist enabler" because only cops should have guns.

That's why they're running a buy-back.

[sad]

Just had a though - someone should show up at gun buy back events and make offers to people bringing their guns in, if nothing else to educate them on the actual value. A lot of great deals could be had :)

Not really. Most of the stuff that turns up at buybacks is junk.

The problem with buying from people going to a gun buy back event is that you would have to interact with people going to a gun buy back event.

hehehmn_16134.gif

No thank you.

This. Your appraisals would likely have to translate into the approximate number of forties they can get at the packy or how many grams it would buy them.

You would exercise your best judgement, I suppose, to profile the guy. You would also tell them the transfer process checks the serial number and watch for the signs. Besides, who in their right mind would steal a gun and then bring it to the police for a $50 buyback?
Well they are no questions asked buy backs.... They may want to just unload the gun for a quick $50

The other potential badness is the police catching wind of the ferry service (or the table pre-buyback) and arresting the buyback person because they were not enroute to the buyback with the firearm, making them illegally possessing.

True enough most of the time and reason enough not to care. But, what breaks my heart is seeing valuable and collectible firearms turned in to be melted down (or pilfered).

well, I don't get it, people bitch about rare guns being scrapped 90% of the buy back threads, but as soon as someone comes up with a way to buy those "rare" guns, then people don't care and say that most of those guns are junk anyway. Can we get consistent story on what is actually being brought to these buy backs?

If the unlicensed person en route to the buyback is accompanied by a licensed person to the dealer, then there would be no issue.

Also, if the firearm in question is over 50 years old can a C&R holder purchase it directly?

Boris, I'm in. I'll drive/ferry and put money in to a pool (not a lot, but some!).

Isn't there also a website that lists stolen serial numbers for guns?

If the unlicensed person en route to the buyback is accompanied by a licensed person to the dealer, then there would be no issue.

Also, if the firearm in question is over 50 years old can a C&R holder purchase it directly?
If I had to guess, I'd say that the licensed person would quickly become unlicensed due to suitability.

well, I don't get it, people bitch about rare guns being scrapped 90% of the buy back threads, but as soon as someone comes up with a way to buy those "rare" guns, then people don't care and say that most of those guns are junk anyway. Can we get consistent story on what is actually being brought to these buy backs?

Make no mistake about it, every once in awhile someone will bring something that isn't a POS to a buyback. The problem with running your own is how many trash can shotguns, malfunctioning tube fed 22s, and air pistols do you want to give money for to get that one Colt Python or whatever it is? Unless you just turn the people away with the junk of course, or send them to the antis... [laugh]

-Mike

I'm guessing this is as close as it gets: fourseasons and woburn pd.

I don't see a problem with getting a small moving truck or a van, with large vinyl lettering "we pay top dollar for used guns, cash money $$$" and park it next to a police station, then have another car with a few "runners" who would drive the person to an FFL near by. That should be perfectly legal, but cops won't like it and will try to find some way to shoot your dog.

Actually, I think it's a pretty good idea. If we had a dozen licensed gun owners with some cash, I'd totally do it. You probably make a little cash for your trouble and cops will have nothing but BB guns to show for.

Back
Top Bottom