Gun Auction Issue

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I just experienced something and I'm wondering how to handle it.

I just signed up for one of the auction sites - never did this before..something new for me. ..which site doesn't matter for the sake of this posting.

I signed up because I saw a gun part that I need to make one of my rifles more authentic. It's a fairly rare part for a fairly rare gun. .. again it makes no diference for this posting.

Money is fairly short for me right now but I bid the item up to what I felt was what I can afford at this time. I got into a small bidding war with one guy and I reached my limit. The piece is probably worth 400-500 but I had to bow out after I reached my limit but the other guy outbid my high bid.

I just got an mail from the other guy stating:

'just so you know i will win the [auction] as i work for a private collector and my spending limit is $2000.00'

So the guy is trying to scare me away with either a bluff or is ripping off 'the collector'.

I've reached my limit, so I'm not getting the item but his tactics really pizz me off. I would think the auction site or the seller might like to know about this.

What do you guys think???

I'd be pissed if someone was scaring my bidders away and I would want to know about it. That's not how an auction works. Imagine if that shenanigans happened at Christie's or Sotheby's.

tell him you do too, and your limit is 3,000, then tell tell him to stop wasting his time, let you win it for 500, and you'll sell it to him, for his collector, for 1500, and you both can split the extra 1000, 500 a piece, that the collector paid him to get it.

He's not ripping off the collector, he's doing what his client told him to do, get it, for 2000 or less.

Of course you could get it for the 500 then when he wants to make the deal, say, oh no, sorry, cant sell it for that, oh? you believed me?
Dope, you believe AOL is going to give you 1500 for forwarding emails too?

He's full of shit. Tell him to f*** off and bid what you want to on the firearm. If he outbids you, then f***em. Did I say f*** enough in this post? [twisted]

First rule of on line auctions. Never bid early. If it's something you really want, wait until the last minute to bid. As long as it hasn't gone over your limit, that is.

After having used Ebay for several years, I can tell you that you have to know two things. 1) What the item you want is really worth. 2) How you are willing to spend. If you don't know the first, it's easy to get ripped off.

As for the guy that contacted you, I'd report him to the site admin. He's attempting to get you not to bid, which just might be a violation of their TOS.
It might not be, but it might be worth sending an email. After all, if they bounce him, you might end up as the high bidder! <G>

Gary

If it were me, and I had just signed up on the site and cared not about negative feedback I would bid $1999.00 and send the other bidder an email saying your up.

Of course, I'm sort of bastard about such things. [wink]

BTW, what is the part out of curiousity?

C-

Garys said:
First rule of on line auctions. Never bid early. If it's something you really want, wait until the last minute to bid. As long as it hasn't gone over your limit, that is.

That's the truth, I've been using eBay since 97 or so... And i leaned real quick that you wait until the last 10 min or so to bid. Just seems to work better.

And yes, to know the price is key.

I think that with one day and change, you'll hear from the site admin. And I think that it's right to turn him in.

10 MINUTES C-pher? I usually wait until 10 seconds to bid. It helps to have broadband or DSL. <G>

For those who don't know, bidding at the last second like that is called "sniping" on Ebay.

Gary

Garys said:
10 MINUTES C-pher? I usually wait until 10 seconds to bid. It helps to have broadband or DSL. <G>

For those who don't know, bidding at the last second like that is called "sniping" on Ebay.

Gary

I have DSL as well. But I find that starting at around 10 min is a good time for me.

And sniping I find is using things like Auction Sniper

Garys said:

Gary

I'm an avid eBayer as well, and usually wait until about the last 15 seconds to place my final bid...Almost always works...but you take the risk of still not bidding high enough, and losing your chance at a second bid.

Gotta join the band wagon...f***!

dreppucci007 said:
Garys said:

Gary

I'm an avid eBayer as well, and usually wait until about the last 15 seconds to place my final bid...Almost always works...but you take the risk of still not bidding high enough, and losing your chance at a second bid.

Gotta join the band wagon...f***!

That's why I start about 10 min or so into it...that way if I see that bid is going up, then I'll wait with a bid set to my highest price near the end.

Still, people using the sniper program can set it to snipe with three seconds left. So they would win anyway.

He just got his !

Boy that was fast !!

I just received this from the auction site:

"The following item, on which you placed a bid (xxxxxxx) has had a bid retraction or cancellation, and you are now the high bidder. Congratulations! "

Looks like he got dumped on quick and hard !

I'll tell you what it is when the bidding is over. I don't want to draw attention to it by the casual reader here.

I'm not worried about you regular 'good guys' out bidding me but who knows about the 'lurkers' ?

Thanks for the advise !

Re: He just got his !

Pilgrim said:
Boy that was fast !!

I just received this from the auction site:

"The following item, on which you placed a bid (xxxxxxx) has had a bid retraction or cancellation, and you are now the high bidder. Congratulations! "

Looks like he got dumped on quick and hard !

I'll tell you what it is when the bidding is over. I don't want to draw attention to it by the casual reader here.

I'm not worried about you regular 'good guys' out bidding me but who knows about the 'lurkers' ?

Thanks for the advise !

Good for you!

I've used auction sites before for a number of buys and sells. Anytime someone sends you an email such as the one sent to Pilgrim - tell the auction site about it, and forward it to them if you can. What he did was a no no.

And, as an FYI <putting on Mother's Hat> No - you cannot say F**K as much as you want to. Derek....and others....BEHAVE.

Mother

Lynne said:
I've used auction sites before for a number of buys and sells. Anytime someone sends you an email such as the one sent to Pilgrim - tell the auction site about it, and forward it to them if you can. What he did was a no no.

And, as an FYI <putting on Mother's Hat> No - you cannot say F**K as much as you want to. Derek....and others....BEHAVE.

Mother
I knew that was coming! Ha ha Derek.

Lynne said:

Mother

We CAN'T?? [shock] Awww, f... uh, fudge. Yup, that's right.

[lol] [lol]

C-pher said:
dwarven1 said:
Lynne said:

Mother

We CAN'T?? [shock] Awww, f... uh, fudge. Yup, that's right.

[lol] [lol]

what about Phuck?

Come on now, spell it right. It's phuque

Mod Hat ON!

Let's get back on topic please!

This thread has been hijacked and you're behaving like school children. :(

We can do better than this, can't we?

Mother Mod is right, please keep the gratuitous swearing down and keep this a "family friendly" forum.

Thank you.

Pilgrim, thats a riot. I knew a guy that was buying a car on EBAY. And he e-mailed the other bidder saying he was going to kick his (butt). It was in poor fun, but the bidder backed down and wrote to EBAY saying he was being threatened. Needless to say he lost his account.

You should also think it might be the seller trying to start a bid war. I also was outbid a few times and the seller e-mails me saying that the deal fell through, and offers it at my last bid price. I always deny those requests. But still I love these online auctions, especially C&R.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom