• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe he means restricted (no ltc) v. unrestricted (ltc).
Go easy on him. Lets face it, calling a a license that one is not able to carry on an LTC is stupid and non-intuitive. It takes 10 minutes for me to explain to noobs that an LTC is not an License-To-Carry for many people.

that makes sense

Your right its a restricted license. I did not realize the specifics of the terminology.

Hey But thanks for the info!!

Your right its a restricted license. I did not realize the specifics of the terminology.

Hey But thanks for the info!!

damn, that sucks Foxboro did that. I was under the impression they were better with their licensing, even the great Scriv said they were a good PD to deal with.

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews on Foxboro. Does anyone else have some input on them?
Foxborough seems to prefer to hand out restricted licenses to new handgun shooters. They are interested in your experience and that you shoot (belong to a club). But it is possible to get an ALP on the first try. I think going from restricted to ALP on your second license is pretty much SOP if you haven’t had any issues.

The COP is considered by local shooters as pretty decent guy and, although I’ve only spoken to him once, that was my opinion also.

Respectfully,
jkelly

115 days in peabody ma since i droped off my app.8 weeks since my interveiw. i am begining to think peabody may not be the best town to apply for a ltc. if the economy wasnt in the toilet i would sell my house and move to n.h. mass sux

Millville took about 6 weeks for my son and issued LTCA restricted to sport etc. Chief says nothing unrestricted first time out but will change it after a couple of years if you stay safe. I think a fair and reasonable man.

Millville took about 6 weeks for my son and issued LTCA restricted to sport etc. Chief says nothing unrestricted first time out but will change it after a couple of years if you stay safe. I think a fair and reasonable man.

Fair and reasonable? Fair and reasonable would be not restricting your rights arbitrarily. He's jerking your son around just because he can, and you're being forced to accept it because you have no alternative.

if the economy wasnt in the toilet i would sell my house and move to n.h. mass sux

If all the good men flee to NH, where would that leave MA? Stay and fight the good fight.
BigThumbsup.gif

We are all entitled to an opinion, I would think you have probably never met the man and are basing your comment on your deep seated beliefs and that is your choice. I know this man (chief) , he is not arbitrary, he is not jerking my son or anyone else around and I am sorry your experiences have been so negative to assume what happens in another town parallels your own. There are alternatives but my son shall wait, mature a little more and ask for an upgrade when he has demonstrated his responsibility to this stranger.

more info needed... What did you give for a reason?

I wrote a letter to the chief with a small introduction then I listed the reasons: 1. I have completed the necessary Basic Firearms Safety Course as required by Massachusetts General Laws, 2. Sports and hunting, 3. Self Defenfe, 4. It is the reason for issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license, 5. 2nd amendment and 6. All lawful purposes a brief history of my military expirience and attached my dd214 to that letter. I have to say that I got all the info needed to write the letter from topics posted on this forum. Soon I will be going GREEN!![smile]

I wrote a letter to the chief with a small introduction then I listed the reasons: 1. I have completed the necessary Basic Firearms Safety Course as required by Massachusetts General Laws, 2. Sports and hunting, 3. Self Defenfe, 4. It is the reason for issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license, 5. 2nd amendment and 6. All lawful purposes a brief history of my military expirience and attached my dd214 to that letter. I have to say that I got all the info needed to write the letter from topics posted on this forum. Soon I will be going GREEN!![smile]

I have to wonder that if any other person had a similar letter, but without discharge papers would have gotten ALP or not. Im kinda doubting it.

I have to wonder that if any other person had a similar letter, but without discharge papers would have gotten ALP or not. Im kinda doubting it.

I feel the same way.

I know of cops who live in red towns who work for the department they get their LTC from, and the licensing officer gives them a restricted license.

There's quite a few military guys on here more qualified to use/carry a gun than the cops signing off on their LTC who're stuck with a restricted one too.

I feel the same way.

I know of cops who live in red towns who work for the department they get their LTC from, and the licensing officer gives them a restricted license.

There's quite a few military guys on here more qualified to use/carry a gun than the cops signing off on their LTC who're stuck with a restricted one too.

yeah, this is a whole big kinda bullshite

There's quite a few civilians on here more qualified to use/carry a gun than the cops signing off on their LTC who're stuck with a restricted one too.[wink]

I agree with the general sentiment though. There are people judging others who don't have the right, just faux authority, to do so.

There's quite a few civilians on here more qualified to use/carry a gun than the cops signing off on their LTC who're stuck with a restricted one too.[wink]

I agree with the general sentiment though. There are people judging others who don't have the right, just faux authority, to do so.

I agree completely. [grin]

But since yogipooh mentioned his DD214 I brought it up, that many PD's don't care how well trained someone is (military, LE, other tpye training), they're just not getting an unrestricted LTC.

I agree completely. [grin]

But since yogipooh mentioned his DD214 I brought it up, that many PD's don't care how well trained someone is (military, LE, other tpye training), they're just not getting an unrestricted LTC.

I have a small modicum of respect for the ones who are consistently d-bags. Those that mete out licenses with arbitrary and capricious bias have a little place reserved in hell next to me. [devil]

I have a small modicum of respect for the ones who are consistently d-bags. Those that mete out licenses with arbitrary and capricious bias have a little place reserved in hell next to me. [devil]

agreed. For those who are consistent, I can at least understand they have an argument (despite how wrong they are). THe capricious restriction issuing chiefs have a staff lounge in the 10th circle.....

It looks like no one has spoken for Huntington.

I received my LTC-A back in the mid 80's. Was fresh out of the Marines, showed the Chief my military training credentials. No questions asked, after a very short app. wait he handed over the license and said, "stay out of trouble".

The wife got her LTC-A last year from our new Chief. His attitude is the more the better. He told her, "there goes the neighborhood" (jokingly) when she turn in her app. Can't remember exactly, I think it was a 4-5 week wait for her.

I also have friends who have had good experiences in this town with their licenses.Very fortunate to have a good Chief in this town.

I think Salem should be red not black. I know that Salem will issue an "all lawful purposes" LTC to business owners, All others will have restrictions but will be issued.

It looks like no one has spoken for Huntington.

I received my LTC-A back in the mid 80's. Was fresh out of the Marines, showed the Chief my military training credentials. No questions asked, after a very short app. wait he handed over the license and said, "stay out of trouble".

The wife got her LTC-A last year from our new Chief. His attitude is the more the better. He told her, "there goes the neighborhood" (jokingly) when she turn in her app. Can't remember exactly, I think it was a 4-5 week wait for her.

I also have friends who have had good experiences in this town with their licenses.Very fortunate to have a good Chief in this town.

It's the joys of living in the sticks.[wink] We live in Westhampton. Which is very green.[grin]

First time applicant in Maynard this past spring. Called to make an appointment, they took my application the next day. Less than 5 weeks later permit in hand (A, no restrictions).

Very polite and professional group of folks on the MPD based on the handful of interactions I've had in the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom