• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the CONSTITUTION OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS

Article XVII. The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.

taken from http://www.mass.gov/legis/const.htm

This ought to be the only post in this thread.

Being that I live in Lowell, I was given the Target and Hunting restriction. I tried reasoning with the detective and I even asked a friend for a favor but it go me nowhere. Now I am just going to move out of Lowell all together.

I'm glad that this thread exists because my wife and I want to move to a "green" town. Now we know where to look.

does anyone know how long it takes in Peabody ,Ma?
from aplecation drop off to receiving the ltc in the mail?

Waltham, MA

Hello All,

I wanted to give some feedback about my experience with Waltham PD and their Licensing process.

I attended GOAL's NRA & Mass State Police sanctioned Basic Pistol Course in April (I highly recommend it, Jon Green was an excellent instructor). I contacted Waltham PD's licensing officer after a few days of phone tag. He instructed me that I needed to come by the station and pick up their application. On it, it asks for 3 letters of recommendation (non familial) and a personal letter to Chief Lacroix as to why I wanted an "All Lawful Purposes" license. I got 3 letters and wrote one myself. Called back and the officer said that I could come in 2 weeks later to apply. I said sure. I went back in and handed him my letters, app proof of passing the basic pistol and $100. He did a background check came back clean he said. He then proceeded to tell me that Waltham does not give out Class A "All Lawful Purposes" for new applicants. He said I would be getting a Class A LTC for Shooting & Hunting. After he took my pic and did the fingerprints he said I should have my license in 3 weeks.

I honestly don't think he looked at any of the letters. I think they have that on their website to deter people from going through the hassle of it all. He simply did the State Police Check and he saw it was totally clean and approved me for the Class A LTC for Hunting & Shooting.

Hope this helps folks.

- Libertarian

west boylston

Hi all, Some feedback on West Boylston.

Application ( 3 letters of reference, 1 letter to Chief on why a ALP is being requested ) dropped off April 14

PD called back May 2 to set up appointment for prints, photo (Could have been done sooner but Licensing officer was on vacation)

May 6th prints and photo

May 26th check cashed

June 2nd Picked up LTC-A, no restrictions [grin]

Ashland LTC-A-No restrictions
took 4 weeks
2 reference letters
It was a simple process, The issuing officer is a nice guy, I wrote all lawful purposes and I got it.

My son who recently turned 21 got his LTC Class A from Milton today, 06/04/09. Asked for ALP and got restrictions "Target & Hunting". Required 3 letters of recommendation. He submitted his application to LO on 04/6/09. He had outstanding MA speeding ticket and outstanding minor in possession of alcohol from MT where he spent his freshman year of college and apparently these were not show stoppers. He had declared the minor in possession to LO.

awesome!! what are you going to get??
tomorrow will be the begening of week 5 in brockton for me

Honestly ammo availability and prices being what they are. I'll probably just get a 10/22 (building actually) and just plink and practice until my C&R arrives. I mailed the C&R App in the day I got the LTC.

After the C&R gets here, I have a few other things in mind [smile]

Just heard from two students who applied for their LTCs in Carlisle. A married couple with spotless records. It took roughly 90 days, and they were only given T&H restricted licenses. Don't know if it's because they were first time applicants or if it's a general policy. Having moved to Berlin they're going to see if the chief there will entertain the idea of letting them apply for a new license without waiting for the expiration of thir new, hobbled licenses.

Ken

I didn't have any hassles the two times I renewed in Berlin. LTC-A Protection (old system), and LTC-A Restrictions - none (new system).

Target and Hunting in Newton for me and my wife. Licensing LT was pleasant but told us from the start that ALP was out of question. We received Newton PD's definition of restriction on PD's letterhead that clearly states that carrying to and from the range is kosher. I'll run several copies and keep them in my cars, range bag and pistol case.

Grafton continues to be green. My son (first time applicant) just received his LTC-A Restrictions:None [party]

Essex and Carlisle

Hi there- I have two experiences with LTC, Class A and they are both positive. About ten years ago I applied for my LTC, Class A in Essex, MA where I was living. The police chief asked me why I wanted to carry and I gave the "For All Lawful Purposes" answer that was on my application. He indicated that was fine but wanted to really know why I was applying. I told him I was in real estate and frequently found myself in areas where I was not comfortable without carrying. That was sufficient for him. To be honest, although I think "All Lawful Purposes" is all it should take, I think he was just trying to cover his own ass and pretty much any excuse would have worked for him. It looks as if Essex has not received any feedback yet so I hope this is helpful.

When I moved to Carlisle I filled out the change of address form and sent it to the proper authorities via certified mail. When it came time to renew I was concerned. I love my little town, hanging on to it's gentlemens' farmer roots and 25% of the land set aside for Federal, State or Town conservation. But let's face it; Carlisle is Cambridge 20 miles Northwest. People's lawns were dying because they had so many Obama campaign materials stuck in it it was blocking the sun from reaching the grass. My renewal couldn't have been easier, though. The process was spent chatting with the officer about our kids, where he lived, etc. while he filled out the paperwork. We even joked about the fact that you had to be fingerprinted in the entrance to the cellss (don't even get me started on the fact you need to be fingerprinted). At any rate, I know that a renewal has to be easier than a first time applicant but Carlisle was listed in red and I had an easy go of it.

applied 4/28 in brockton, picked it up today 6/17 class a, restrictions (target and hunting)
licensing officer was very nice and professional, but i'm kinda bummed on getting a restricted license.
now i just have to decide what to buy first

applied 4/28 in brockton, picked it up today 6/17 class a, restrictions (target and hunting)
licensing officer was very nice and professional, but i'm kinda bummed on getting a restricted license.
now i just have to decide what to buy first

dont worry too much, reports here show that they upgrade on renewal, which is better than no upgrade at all.

Millis: Sgt. Quinn. Great guy and a great experience! Explained the whole new system to me. Says it will be LTC-A no restrictions approx 3-5 weeks.

By his comments on his beliefs of the right..... I would say if your clean then that's what you'll get.....

Keep Millis green!!! :)

Town of Easton gets a new Chief on July 1.

Spotted an article that Deputy Chief Allen Krajcik will be replacing the retiring Police Chief Thomas Kominsky as of July 1st.

I don't live in the town and have no idea how this will affect the issuance of permits.

Leominster is still a very green town. My wife and I went down together with our kids (ages 4 and 1 1/2) and made a field trip out of it (after checking with the licensing officer first of course). We applied for our licenses on 5/4. Teressa the licensing officer was very friendly and very straight forward. Leominster has moved to completely electronic applications. Simply show up with your MSP training certificate, 2 forms of ID, 2 written character reference letters (the only requirement that's different than the MGL) and $100. The process is answer the question on the computer screen (an electronic copy of the application), index fingerprint scan for the license, get a digital picture taken for the license, get digital mug shots (1 front and 1 profile) for the CHSB, and electronic finger prints for the back ground check. Incredibly painless. No questions as to why, she just simply asked what type of license (A, B or FID). If you say A then she just automatically enters ALP for the reason.

While we were going through the questions Chief Roddy happened to be seeing someone out the door and saw us with the kids. He smiled, waved and headed upstairs presumably to his office. Not even five minutes later he's back down stairs with honorary police officer stickers for the kids and saying hi. I'd never met the Chief before so it was nice seeing him take an interest in the kids.

Once the process was done Teressa told us it would be about 5 to 6 weeks and if we hadn't heard anything to give her a call after 5. We got our licenses 6/17, 6 weeks and 2 days from our application. LTC- A Restrictions: None. All in all very pleasant experience though waiting 6 weeks was a little hard.

Foxborough, Took over a month to see the chief of police but was mostly a communication problem. I was givin a class A but no LTC. But he told me it was because I had not been shooting alot in the last couple of years. He was right. Chief O'Leary told me to join a club and re-apply in a year for a LTC. He was right it's been a long time since my miitary years and since I left Texas. Thanks Cypher for the great class!!!

I believe he means restricted (no ltc) v. unrestricted (ltc).
Go easy on him. Lets face it, calling a a license that one is not able to carry on an LTC is stupid and non-intuitive. It takes 10 minutes for me to explain to noobs that an LTC is not an License-To-Carry for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom