Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with the rapid second wave of Covid I'm sure those of us that are waiting patiently for an interview and prints so we can process our new LTC are definitely screwed now.. The towns will probably use it to not move forward processing them, Especially where they haven't even opened back up.. Do you think it's even worth emailing the Cheif asking for accelerated process?

Norwood renewal

6/3 Mailed renewal paperwork inside Norwood Post Office, just first class mail
6/18 Check cleared the bank
7/8 Received call that licence was in & available to pick up at the station
7/9 In & out with unrestricted license in hand, felt like I took more time adjusting my mask than at the Records Office window

Edit: This was ~10 days faster than my last time through and like last time the Independence Day holiday fell in the middle of the window.

I believe that I am covered with an expired FID correct? They remain legal until either denial or renewed as I understand it. The LTC folks are the ones getting shafted it seems.

I applied for my FID renewal in October 2019
My FID "expired" late January 2020
I did not get an interview until mid February 2020. I was fingerprinted and paid my $100 and the check was cashed.
As of today the state told me that my town has not yet processed the application.
So at about 9 months into the FID renewal I do not have my new FID card.

Does anybody have insight for the process in Falmouth? I’m guiding my friend through getting his LTC.

Falmouth is processing applications for both new and renewals. You have to mail in your application due to covid, which can be downloaded from the town of Falmouth website.

I recently moved to Falmouth and applied early June, received a letter that my application was being processed by the next week, and then was notified by phone to come in for fingerprints on the 25th. During the fingerprinting the clerk told me my background checks would be complete that day, but the state has up to a 3 month back log printing cards and returning them to the pd.

I called the hotline yesterday and was told my LTC was approved and activated and sent out for delivery back to the pd. I called FPD yesterday and they have yet to receive the LTC.

I’ll update when LTC is in hand. Feel free to pm me of you have additional questions.

Westford was 8 days for fingerprinting and picture taken, and 22 days after that I got the LTC-A in the mail. Didn’t feel like a hassle at all. I applied in mid-June about a week before they started processing fingerprinting again with COVID going on.

I guess the Westford PD is mailing them to avoid people needing to come back inside the building. The LTC-A was in an envelope from them along with my PIN number and a summary of the Gun Control Act of 1998 from the Commonwealth.

Update on my Hamilton first time license application.

received my unrestricted LTC-A in the mail about a month after my in person application. The process was painless and easy.

The officers who took my application are family friends but I personally don't know them well, take that for what it's worth. Also of note is I was hospitalized at least 5 years ago so I needed to provide a doctor's letter about being suitable to possess a firearm. Knowing the officers probably helped with that. background checks weren't a problem.

Update on my Hamilton first time license application.

received my unrestricted LTC-A in the mail about a month after my in person application. The process was painless and easy.

The officers who took my application are family friends but I personally don't know them well, take that for what it's worth. Also of note is I was hospitalized at least 5 years ago so I needed to provide a doctor's letter about being suitable to possess a firearm. Knowing the officers probably helped with that. background checks weren't a problem.
It really is who you know, congratulations

Great News My Wives LTC is on it's way. Had to sign up at the Somerset police dept and wait for a call. That process took about a month, after the appointment it's bee 3 weeks and she was told today it was shipped to the local PD. Guess it's time to go shopping.

Falmouth is processing applications for both new and renewals. You have to mail in your application due to covid, which can be downloaded from the town of Falmouth website.

I recently moved to Falmouth and applied early June, received a letter that my application was being processed by the next week, and then was notified by phone to come in for fingerprints on the 25th. During the fingerprinting the clerk told me my background checks would be complete that day, but the state has up to a 3 month back log printing cards and returning them to the pd.

I called the hotline yesterday and was told my LTC was approved and activated and sent out for delivery back to the pd. I called FPD yesterday and they have yet to receive the LTC.

I’ll update when LTC is in hand. Feel free to pm me of you have additional questions.
Received LTC in the mail without restrictions. A little under 6 weeks total from when I mailed in my packet.

Fitchburg- at least for a renewal- unrestricted. Took a little less than 60 days. Sent application at the end of May and was issued on 7/7 and mailed to me on 7/22.

I believe that I am covered with an expired FID correct? They remain legal until either denial or renewed as I understand it. The LTC folks are the ones getting shafted it seems.

I applied for my FID renewal in October 2019
My FID "expired" late January 2020
I did not get an interview until mid February 2020. I was fingerprinted and paid my $100 and the check was cashed.
As of today the state told me that my town has not yet processed the application.
So at about 9 months into the FID renewal I do not have my new FID card.
Did you get a receipt when the licensing officer interviewed you and got your fingerprints? If not, you probably aren't covered. Since your appointment occurred after the expiration date of your old FID card, I suspect this is the case. Hopefully your new FID card will arrive in the mail post-haste. I would call your local PD and ask them if your application has been sent to the state and let them know that the state is saying it hasn't been received by them yet. The squeaky wheel gets oiled, as they say...

Middleton update. As soon as I saw they would accept renewals by mail I jumped on it. My current LTC expires 10/27/2020. restrictions none issued by a different town.

Dateline
March 20, 2020 mailed application with supporting documents via USPS
certified return receipt requested.
March 23, 2020 PD signed that they received application.
April 1, 2020 check to Town of Middleton clears my bank.
April 13, 2020 New LTC arrived in mail, photo from DMV, date of issue
10/27/2020, expiration date 10/27/2026. Restrictions none.

Any idea how the application process is in Middleton for new applicants?

Anyone have any insight on Mansfield? It looks like I am in a green town, so at least I have that going for me. However, I am hearing now that putting "all lawful purposes" for the "Reasons" portion of the application is a bad idea. Any suggestions on what to write down?

Anyone have any insight on Mansfield? It looks like I am in a green town, so at least I have that going for me. However, I am hearing now that putting "all lawful purposes" for the "Reasons" portion of the application is a bad idea. Any suggestions on what to write down?
I don't know about applying there, but can tell you that the chief's child participated in MF&G juniors program a few years ago and that the chief and his Wife are both members. I've never met either of them however.

I don't know about applying there, but can tell you that the chief's child participated in MF&G juniors program a few years ago and that the chief and his Wife are both members. I've never met either of them however.
That's great to hear! I was thinking of joining MF&G if they are accepting members, now I think I definitely will.

Still got to figure out what to put down for the LTC "reason" though.

Yes, MF&G hasn't missed a beat on accepting new members. 16 new members at this month's meeting were accepted. It's a great club and the indoor range is ~2 months from completion.

I was just there today and the purser said they are 3 weeks from testing the range. I got in a look and it is very nice!
@Len-2A Training RU doing anymore Law Seminar's there?
Yes, I got a tour last week when I dropped some paperwork off.

I really don't know if I'll do any more in MA. I don't have anything booked. I'd rather do them in NH now, but running into "no reply" issues with those that I've contacted. I may have to just run them at Londonderry F&G and deal with the generator for electricity.

Carlisle - green, applied early July, 2 weeks for the interview, then 5 weeks to get ltc, right before tax free weekend :)

check your PMs

Barnstable LTC ”Renewal” - 48 Days

7/15/2020: Took Basic Firearms Safety w/ my 16 yo son (after letting license lapse in 2006)
7/16/2020: Dropped off LTC application at Barstable PD (along with son‘s FID app)
7/17/2020: Received call to schedule son for prints, and told my app would be processed as a renewal
7/20/2020: Brought in son to be printed
8/27/2020: Called Chelsea and was told my LTC was being mailed to Barnstable that day
9/3/2020: Unrestricted LTC renewal in hand (Still waiting on Jr’s FID)

Laura at Barnstable records could not have been nicer! Quick and easy!

Last edited:
Hello, I currently have my LTC in Quincy, they always been great here since 2014 at least. I am in the process of looking to buy another home and have been keeping this list in mind and try not to buy into a city/town that is red. I guess my question is if I am currently a LTC holder and were to buy into a city/town that is red will that put me in jeopardy of being restricted from having a Class A when I change my address. Thanks for your help!

Hello, I currently have my LTC in Quincy, they always been great here since 2014 at least. I am in the process of looking to buy another home and have been keeping this list in mind and try not to buy into a city/town that is red. I guess my question is if I am currently a LTC holder and were to buy into a city/town that is red will that put me in jeopardy of being restricted from having a Class A when I change my address. Thanks for your help!
The color-coded list is so far out of date that it is useless.

Comm2A has published stats which can be useful.

The issuing authority owns your LTC until expiration. When it expires you must apply where you live and whatever policies are in place in that town will dictate any restrictions or hoops to jump thru.

Perhaps you were asleep in 2014-15 when the law changed? There are no more Class B LTCs. It is Class A or nothing. Restrictions however are another story and totally discretionary for each city/town to implement.

Anybody in Quincy area applies for new unrestricted LTC? How long does it take from drop-off application and paid-fee by cash to scan fingerprint and get the license? I just dropped off mine on 31st Aug and paid $100 by cash. But the lady didn't give me any receipt.

Anybody in Quincy area applies for new unrestricted LTC? How long does it take from drop-off application and paid-fee by cash to scan fingerprint and get the license? I just dropped off mine on 31st Aug and paid $100 by cash. But the lady didn't give me any receipt.
Are you older than 25 last I knew they were doing age discrimination against under 25 giving restricted LTC to young people.... that may have changed however my information is quite dated....

Are you older than 25 last I knew they were doing age discrimination against under 25 giving restricted LTC to young people.... that may have changed however my information is quite dated....
Fortunately, I'm 28. It's just weird that the lady at the record office didn't give me any receipt for my payment. So I hope even with the Covid19 situation and the high number of LTC applications, Quincy PD won't delay for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom