Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mailed my application, paperwork, USPS MO to licensing officer for WEYMOUTH. New Chief took over 01 April. Word on the street is that Chief Fuller
hands out full LTC, no restrictions. Lets hope so. Sucks living in a red town. I will post updates.
Weymouth was one of the named towns sued over the arbitrary restrictions and denials. Their policies changed a bit and the lawsuit was dropped. They still ask for stupid things (3 letters) but they now issue with no restrictions.

I was Issued a Class A restricted LTC in Boston back in 2015. I bought a house at the end of 2019 in Canton (oops) and moved mid March. I sent all the change of address forms in and apparently missed the renewal form in the envelope to Canton, it got misplaced in the move. My LTC expired last week (4/7) and the renewal went in the mail too late. With my LTC expired and living in a "black" town, will I have issues renewing now? Also, what do I do about my current firearms I have in the house?

I searched around but couldn't find any definitive answers, so sorry if this has been addressed before. Thanks

I was Issued a Class A restricted LTC in Boston back in 2015. I bought a house at the end of 2019 in Canton (oops) and moved mid March. I sent all the change of address forms in and apparently missed the renewal form in the envelope to Canton, it got misplaced in the move. My LTC expired last week (4/7) and the renewal went in the mail too late. With my LTC expired and living in a "black" town, will I have issues renewing now? Also, what do I do about my current firearms I have in the house?

I searched around but couldn't find any definitive answers, so sorry if this has been addressed before. Thanks
First off, Canton isn't "black", they changed their policy a number of years ago. Secondly do nothing with your firearms. Per MGL, you still have a 90 day grace period but can't buy/sell anything. Best recommendation is lock them up and keep them that way until you get your new LTC. It might be next year before you get it since gun rights will only grudgingly be restored by the state after everything else is and the backlog will be horrendous at both the local and state levels.

Might have missed it. Many pages here. But when all of this is over looking to go down to the Woburn PD to start the process. Anyone have any experience with Woburn and giving out restricted/unrestricted?

Middleton update. As soon as I saw they would accept renewals by mail I jumped on it. My current LTC expires 10/27/2020. restrictions none issued by a different town.

Dateline
March 20, 2020 mailed application with supporting documents via USPS
certified return receipt requested.
March 23, 2020 PD signed that they received application.
April 1, 2020 check to Town of Middleton clears my bank.
April 13, 2020 New LTC arrived in mail, photo from DMV, date of issue
10/27/2020, expiration date 10/27/2026. Restrictions none.

Per MGL, you still have a 90 day grace period but can't buy/sell anything. Best recommendation is lock them up and keep them that way until you get your new LTC.
I had a similar case last year, but in Cambridge. Applied for renewal after the expiration of the LTC. Was told by CPD grace period applies only if the license is renewed prior to expiration.

I had a similar case last year, but in Cambridge. Applied for renewal after the expiration of the LTC. Was told by CPD grace period applies only if the license is renewed prior to expiration.
Wrong. Like most PDs they are clueless on MA gun laws . . . or they are malicious and intentionally lie to put forward their own agenda (unwashed shouldn't own/carry guns). BTW, Swatgig (lawyer) is the one who threw me the cite for this grace period.

Anyone dealt with Clinton MA recently? Was issues a Class A with restriction from Ashalnd and moved to Clinton a couple years ago. I just renewed with Clinton and i am really hoping the restriction is lifted. 😔

Anyone dealt with Clinton MA recently? Was issues a Class A with restriction from Ashalnd and moved to Clinton a couple years ago. I just renewed with Clinton and i am really hoping the restriction is lifted. 😔

From the Comm2A scorecard it looks like Clinton issues no restrictions on first-time nor on renewals. I would imagine that as long as you checked the box that says "Unrestricted" on the renewal application, you will probably get one without restrictions.

Peabody actually mailed me the renewal receipt from MIRCS in a reasonable time frame of 8 days. Figure a day for it to go through the postal system to me, and the detective that handles licensing was off the day my renewal slip and check arrived. Now to see if I keep the unrestricted, or call comm2a for advice on which lawyer to pick......

Does anyone recommend renewing early in the town you know gives no restrictions prior to move? Not early by years but say 8-9 months?

Peabody actually mailed me the renewal receipt from MIRCS in a reasonable time frame of 8 days. Figure a day for it to go through the postal system to me, and the detective that handles licensing was off the day my renewal slip and check arrived. Now to see if I keep the unrestricted, or call comm2a for advice on which lawyer to pick......
I renewed mine a couple years ago, no problem. I would be surprised if they went back to their old way, considering their history with Comm2A.

Well, as a new MA resident I'll provide an update on Hingham: still Green. Got my LTC yesterday after submitting my application mid-February.

The process was straightforward, and the police officer that "interviewed" me was polite and professional. I followed the advice I saw elsewhere here and listed my reason as "For lawful self-defense and all other lawful purposes". Had the benefits of being succinct, law abiding, and true. :)

Frankly, having had licenses previously in VA, WA, and TX, this strikes me as the way it should be: must go through a course, must get a background check, and must get a personal interview. The only disagreement I have with the process is that it really should be "must issue" once those three criteria are met barring an affirmative reason for rejection (as opposed to 'I don't think civilians should carry'). It is ridiculous that I can walk around in Boston with a concealed pistol but most residents of the city cannot, even if they've gone through the same process.

This was settled recently, allowing passports. Maybe 2 years ago. Perhaps it was after you applied?
Do you have any more information on this? I will soon be moving from NH back to MA. I have temporarily misplaced my original naturalization certificate, although I do have a photocopy of it. To replace the certificate is about $550 (!) and a 14-month (!!!) wait. I do have a U.S. passport.

Do you have any more information on this? I will soon be moving from NH back to MA. I have temporarily misplaced my original naturalization certificate, although I do have a photocopy of it. To replace the certificate is about $550 (!) and a 14-month (!!!) wait. I do have a U.S. passport.

It depends what town you move to, regarding push back, but as discussed here, they must allow a valid U.S. passport. Contact Comm2A if they refuse.

Does anyone recommend renewing early in the town you know gives no restrictions prior to move? Not early by years but say 8-9 months?
Kind of depends on details. I've heard of people doing that, though usually in the opposite direction - i.e. renew in the new town months, or even years, early to get a card without restrictions, then carry both. Technically, it probably provides no extra protection, but...

Have you looked these towns up on the Comm2A scorecard?

Are you currently unrestricted and scared of getting restrictions added in the new town?
Are you in a town that tends to restrict on the first application but lift on renewal, and worried the new town will simply keep your restrictions in place?
Is your current town generally quick about licenses? Is the new town notoriously slow?

Is there some other situation you're hedging against?

Just got my new LTC in the mail. Total turnaround from Peabody was 35days.

Greetings everyone, Any updates on Belmont? There is a new police chief in town. My wife is about to apply for her LTC and we are trying to decide between unrestricted and target/hunting or sporting. She is a PTA mom so I don't see how they could deny her an unrestricted LTC.

Last edited:
Greetings everyone, Any updates on Belmont? There is a new police chief in town. My wife is about to apply for her LTC and we are trying to decided between unrestricted and target/hunting or sporting. She is a PTA mom so I don't see how they could deny her an unrestricted LTC.
Always, always request the unrestricted.

Greetings everyone, Any updates on Belmont? There is a new police chief in town. My wife is about to apply for her LTC and we are trying to decided between unrestricted and target/hunting or sporting. She is a PTA mom so I don't see how they could deny her an unrestricted LTC.
When you are paying for caviar, NEVER, NEVER order the spam!

Always request "unrestricted" and justify it if required by your town.

I am sure this has been posted somewhere here before but I thought this may be a helpful picture for newer license holders that shows what other states you are allowed to carry in with your MA LTC as long as you are in accordance with the laws of the state you are visiting. This picture was taken from the USCCA website and you can choose any state/s that you may have an LTC in. There is a lot of helpful information on MA laws that comes up on their website as well if you select the state on the map.
Massachusetts Concealed Carry Gun Laws | USCCA CCW Reciprocity Map
Forgive me if this is redundant.
MA LTC ALLOWED STATES.PNG

Just got off the phone with the Somerville PD and they are still not allowing applications for FID or LTC due to the virus. Given the current political climate the fact that I have no legal avenue to purchase a firearm is pretty alarming. The only upside is that the lady I spoke with said that as long as I've lived in the city for over 1 year (I have) then it's likely that I'll get an unrestricted license.

Just got off the phone with the Somerville PD and they are still not allowing applications for FID or LTC due to the virus. Given the current political climate the fact that I have no legal avenue to purchase a firearm is pretty alarming. The only upside is that the lady I spoke with said that as long as I've lived in the city for over 1 year (I have) then it's likely that I'll get an unrestricted license.

Did she mention what "phase" of the reopening would they be allowing new applications? We're starting phase 2 today, which allows many non-essential businesses to open...

Did she mention what "phase" of the reopening would they be allowing new applications? We're starting phase 2 today, which allows many non-essential businesses to open...
I asked that and she didn't have any specifics. I'm holding our hope they start as soon as businesses begin opening, but I'm not holding my breath..

Quick update, received my renewed LTC yesterday and now Class A unrestricted. So about a two month turnaround in Canton.

Hey Everyone!
New here, Like what I see so far. I just submitted my application for my LTC (not a renewal) here in Whitman. Been patiently waiting to submit it for months now due to COVID. The chief was very pleasant in his email and I dropped it off Sunday. I will keep everyone posted on progress and timeline as I go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom