Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have had a few priors and anticipate not receiving your LTC, how do towns tell you that your LTC has been declined? Phone call, meeting to discuss, snail mail??
In writing and in the mail.
They may also tell you and let you pick up a copy, but you will definitely get it mailed to you.

But why would you apply if you're disqualified?

Watertown

Renewal took about 6 weeks. Restrictions: None. Two letters of reference and a letter to the chief were required.

I had heard prior this that they now issue unrestricted upon renewal. I guess that seems to be true.

Website shows Lt. Jorge Ruiz
Interesting. I'm not thinking Lt. Harry Wareham's move to the "Safety Division" is a promotion. But how long could they keep someone who had his LTC revoked because he was statutorily disqualified and lied on his application/renewal in the position of Licensing Officer? I did hear he got FRB relief but that was only after he got caught. Us little people would not have gotten this special treatment.

Fair question. All I have is the old adage of you don’t know unless you ask. As well as I don’t want to hold a resentment against the State of MA unless completely warranted.
Think of this though... The form asks about any DQ events, if you say NO and they think you know it was YES, that's lying on the form. A criminal offence all by itself. Playing dumb can be risky. Unless you're talking suitability and not statutory DQ.

I did not lie on the form. My crimes are not direct felonies and are at least 18 years old. But I do believe others have been refused on same/similar accounts.

If you receive a denial it has to state in writing the reason. How detailed that reason is most likely varies by department.

Mashpee:

Dropped off application early August
Appointment in early Nov (After Expiration)
Today (Jan 27 - still under review by local police)

Disgusting. Have they cashed your check yet?

IF this were me, and they cashed the check, I would be contacting one of the NES/Comm2A/GOAL friendly lawyers to see if that constituted the beginning of the renewal process. Though it may depend on if it was entered into the state computer system. @Len-2A Training might be able to help on this.

Best of luck.

I did not lie on the form. My crimes are not direct felonies and are at least 18 years old. But I do believe others have been refused on same/similar accounts.
I'm confused by the qualifier "direct" are they felonies or not? 18 years ago, doesn't matter. If they are not DQs then it would be a suitability denial. Suitability is Bi...h, basically up to the LO and varies greatly from town to town. I got a suitability denial for a single arrest 20 years previously and the charge was dismissed. I've had a couple LOs and one Chief in MA tell me it was total BS, but the one that mattered made something out of nothing. I moved to NH and work with a lot of LE, I've told Chiefs about this and they think I'm BSing them, because they can't believe anyone would care. The point is that who the LO is matters more than what happened.

I wish you luck, let me know how it works out.

disgusting [puke]
Disgusting. Have they cashed your check yet?

IF this were me, and they cashed the check, I would be contacting one of the NES/Comm2A/GOAL friendly lawyers to see if that constituted the beginning of the renewal process. Though it may depend on if it was entered into the state computer system. @Len-2A Training might be able to help on this.

Best of luck.

Just got back from the PD. The back up licensing officer didn't fully submit the application to the state. It was one of those, "I submitted it." "Really, because the state says they're still waiting on you to review it." "Uhhh, let me check on it."

10 minutes later...

"You're all set." "Okay, and that means?" "Now you have to wait for the state to process it."

I figure around the end of May. Not the first time this town has f***ed up my LTC application. 2007 was 9 months.

Just got back from the PD. The back up licensing officer didn't fully submit the application to the state. It was one of those, "I submitted it." "Really, because the state says they're still waiting on you to review it." "Uhhh, let me check on it."

10 minutes later...

"You're all set." "Okay, and that means?" "Now you have to wait for the state to process it."

I figure around the end of May. Not the first time this town has f***ed up my LTC application. 2007 was 9 months.

Did you get a receipt printed out? Best of luck to you.

I just did my renewal in Great Barrington. I called on a Tuesday and he did the renewal on Wednesday. It took about 15 minutes, all on the computer. He said it could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months for Boston to process, there is no telling how long. About 4 weeks later he called to say I can pick it up at the front desk, don't forget to sign the back. No restrictions.

It’s DUI related. Which is not a direct felony in MA but because it’s subject to a penalty of up to 2.5 years I think it’s looked at differently.
Assuming you mean it's a DUI conviction in MA
You will be denied. But even if they somehow miss it, you are Fed PP (because of that potential sentence).
I've heard that some have gotten releaf through the FRB and end up getting a MA License. I've lost track of the ongoing issue of this releaf and Fed status, but I believe you would still be Fed PP. So no guns outside of MA and no purchases from a dealer. Kind of a grey area to be in. Another approach might be to get the case reopened and go for a dismissal @nstassel has done a couple I thought he had no chance of. No matter how you look at it it will cost $$$$, and if you did apply you will now forever have to say you were denied. Welcome to the club.

Unfortunately, no. The officer I was dealing with seemed to be getting annoying that I caught his screw up
Too f***ing bad if he got annoyed. They are public servants, DO YOUR JOB ! I believe that by law they have to give you a receipt [rofl]. Just the like 45 day BS.

Damn. Sounds like I really fu*ked myself.
Unfortunate, first conversation with a lawyer is usually free, if you're seriously thinking of doing something about it. Other than a pardon with restoration of rights, re-opening it and getting a dismissal is pretty much all you can do on the Fed level.
The issue is that the Fed bases what makes you PP on the "Possible" sentence, not the actual. In most states a first offence DUI doesn't make you PP, MA is special because of the 2.5 year "Possible" sentence.
I'm pretty hard core against drunk driving, lost a cousin to a drunk drive (4th offence). But people can make mistakes, so I tend to say if no one got hurt it should be considered a minor offence just enough to send a message. Now second offence, that should be a hanging offence, they had their chance.

Seriously though, talk to a real firearms attorney, this is going to follow you no matter what state you may be in.

Damn. Sounds like I really fu*ked myself.

Yeah, if you have a DUI conviction in MA you're pretty much screwed, at least for now.

There may be hope on the horizon. A few lower courts (not in MA) have held that nonviolent felony convictions (e.g. those for DUI) should not be sufficient to deny you your 2A rights. These rulings would not be binding precedent in MA, since they're from other states, and in any event they've been stayed as the cases wind their way through the court system, so these decisions have zero practical effect in the short term. I wish I could remember specific cases/cites.

That gives me some hope. New license application submitted 12/19 (Medford), called the state hotline on Tuesday and they said it's still being processed by the LO.

Somerville renewal
Submitted application and met with pd:
12/10/19

Received new LTC
1/28/20

Not a bad turnaround time

That's *almost* within the legally required 40 days, and is substantially less than the 8 weeks that used to be the usual rule. It seems that most towns and cities are getting speedier about issuing licenses. This is a good thing.

That gives me some hope. New license application submitted 12/19 (Medford), called the state hotline on Tuesday and they said it's still being processed by the LO.
Delays are mostly caused, accidentally or on purpose, by the City/Town. State turn around is pretty consistently quick.

Renewal in Milton, LTC class A, restrictions = None. 83 days from interview license received in mail.

If “at least 18 years old” means “before May 27, 1994”, then you have a chance.

That’s when a first time DUI offense became 2-1/2 year potential sentence. Before that it wasn’t a disqualifying offense.

Or if the DUI wasn’t in Mass. Only Mass has a 2+ year sentence for a first DUI.

If “at least 18 years old” means “before May 27, 1994”, then you have a chance.

That’s when a first time DUI offense became 2-1/2 year potential sentence. Before that it wasn’t a disqualifying offense.

Or if the DUI wasn’t in Mass. Only Mass has a 2+ year sentence for a first DUI.
This is really important and something you should check Huckleberry.

Just called FRB, they said activticated (!), waiting to print (3 days), then mailed to my local PD.

Still thinking - April (when local PD calls, if they bother)

Don't worry, starting in 10 days the dispatcher is going to get tired of looking for my LTC :)

I called yesterday and I was told that it was mailed back to my local PD. I should have asked what that exactly means but failed to. Anyone here know?

I called yesterday and I was told that it was mailed back to my local PD. I should have asked what that exactly means but failed to. Anyone here know?

If I remember correctly your LTC is sent back to your PD and they then they finish your renewal or new application paperwork (enter new info into their system), then either call/text you to come and get your new LTC or they will deliver your new LTC to you at your house (that's what my Local PD does)...

I have heard of delays at the Local PD... I guess they like to have a batch of LTC's in before they will start processing the new LTC's... I guess that way they aren't "wasting there time" doing just one LTC...

I would call your Local PD and tell them that the state has said to you that it was sent back to them... Then ask if they have your LTC in hand yet and if so when you can get it...

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom