Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by the Ashburnham PD on Thursday 1/2 to get my son an appointment for his FID (16yo and has his hunter safety class completed and I have a form I downloaded from another PD giving my permission) - we are scheduled for Tuesday 1/7. $25 is the current cost - in 5yrs he can get his Class A.

Visit today was uneventful, pics now for the FID and electronic prints - said it will take 8 weeks.

UPDATE 2/13 - FID received - He is very small in the pic box (like the pic wasn't cropped correctly)

Last edited:
Looks like Belmont's chief of police has retired. Anyone have any inside scoop on the search for his replacement, and/or what it might mean for LTC holders in Belmont?

Can someone explain to me why Newton is yellow? It’s not clear what color that indicates.

That chart with the colors (assuming you mean the one on page one) is out of date.

According to Comm2A's 2017 scorecard of all Massachusetts towns/cities, Newton sucks:

out of 139 new applicants, 89.2% were restricted
out of 179 renewals, 9.5% were restricted.

That chart with the colors (assuming you mean the one on page one) is out of date.

According to Comm2A's 2017 scorecard of all Massachusetts towns/cities, Newton sucks:

out of 139 new applicants, 89.2% were restricted
out of 179 renewals, 9.5% were restricted.
If I recall correctly, Newton will reissue without restrictions after one year of having your LTC with no issues.

Can someone explain to me why Newton is yellow? It’s not clear what color that indicates.
As has been said, the map is out of date. Comm2a's rating is for restricted v. Unrestricted. It does not take into account denials, suitability or otherwise, nor does it account for extra legal requirements or the hassle they may put you through.

As has been said, the map is out of date. Comm2a's rating is for restricted v. Unrestricted. It does not take into account denials, suitability or otherwise, nor does it account for extra legal requirements or the hassle they may put you through.

This question comes up over and over again, It’s time for a moderator to edit that first post and replace the color codes with the current Comm2A report card.

This question comes up over and over again, It’s time for a moderator to edit that first post and replace the color codes with the current Comm2A report card.
or take it out and put in a link to comm2a

or take it out and put in a link to comm2a
This x100. I don't understand why this forum continues to promote fake news. I get that this post is useful from a historical and SEO perspective, but how about just putting a note at the top in big bold red letters saying to disregard the color coding and linking to the Comm2a scorecard?

This x100. I don't understand why this forum continues to promote fake news. I get that this post is useful from a historical and SEO perspective, but how about just putting a note at the top in big bold red letters saying to disregard the color coding and linking to the Comm2a scorecard?
As a former Mod on NES who burnt out doing that job, I can tell you that the few Mods who still visit NES have enough to do herding 50,000 cats without going thru old threads to vet what is still valid or not. Not that your suggestion doesn't have merit, but it isn't a priority. Besides which, anyone looking at it can see the last time it was revised and figure out that the info may not still be valid due to lawsuits, changes of personnel, etc.

As a former Mod on NES who burnt out doing that job, I can tell you that the few Mods who still visit NES have enough to do herding 50,000 cats without going thru old threads to vet what is still valid or not. Not that your suggestion doesn't have merit, but it isn't a priority. Besides which, anyone looking at it can see the last time it was revised and figure out that the info may not still be valid due to lawsuits, changes of personnel, etc.
You're right, Len. Ya know, maybe it is time to take the thread down though since it's misleading in some instances.

Just my opinion, but stories of personal experiences applying for LTC various places are a useful and interesting adjunct to the Comm2A data. I think it's up to the user to evaluate how reliable those anecdotes are. All of the posts are date-stamped. It's not unreasonable to post, "Hey, anyone have any recent experiences in Ripton? Last post from there is dated 2012" or similar.

That's totally reasonable except for the fact that it's stickied, which confers some level of forum-level endorsement of the contents.

My bet is that this is the primary thread through which new users on Google find this forum. It wouldn't take much to either put a single big bold red sentence at the top of the first thread saying the info in the OP is out of date, or un-sticky it so it doesn't have the imprimatur of authoritativeness and accuracy that a stickied thread conveys.

Like said above, I found this thread from google and it was by far the most helpful. Any half smart person will see how old the map is and I used the search funktion to see recent info about weymouth. DONT TAKE THIS DOWN, IT WILL HELP PEOPLE!!

Pittsfield...

Mid july called to get appointment.
August 15th first available Appointment.
January 21st received LTC no restrictions.

Took a long time but got the correct result. Was told at least 4 months at my appointment.

STONEHAM, just gave a disabled veteran(with a previous federal license) a bunch of shit. Because of his wartime disabilities, the finger print scanner had issues scanning. He was told that they will send in the prints, which will be rejected, and he can come back and redo the prints which will also probably be rejected too. Then said the Chief could issue a LTC without prints, but that would be highly unlikely.

STONEHAM, just gave a disabled veteran(with a previous federal license) a bunch of shit. Because of his wartime disabilities, the finger print scanner had issues scanning. He was told that they will send in the prints, which will be rejected, and he can come back and redo the prints which will also probably be rejected too. Then said the Chief could issue a LTC without prints, but that would be highly unlikely.
Tume to contact Comm2A. Perhaps a Federal lawsuit re ADA might get their attention.

FRAMINGHAM:

Someone Who Isn't Me: ~7 weeks from application drop-off to issuance. First time, no restrictions.

App and paperwork presented, no interview, license came in within "estimated" time frame.

Perhaps Fram. should go back to Green?
Is that convict still LO?

Mashpee:

Dropped off application early August
Appointment in early Nov (After Expiration)
Today (Jan 27 - still under review by local police)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom