Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on Monson, and some info for anyone applying in other towns. Applied for renewal in Monson on Sept 15th. Got the call on Oct. 25th that my license was ready. They said they are seeing licenses processed in about 30 days, and if you add in a few days on either end for processing it should be 35-45 days max. Anyone waiting longer is getting jerked around. Monson is basically shall issue, unless you are a prohibited person, have an insane arrest record, lie on your app, or are disqualified by MA law. They don't issue restricted, "a license to carry is a license to carry as far as they're concerned." They also process a lot of applications and renewals, as a huge majority of this town is licensed, so I wouldn't say volume has anything to do with it.

Last I saw Norwood was green, but most recent comment on it was 2017, any more current news? We're likely moving back to either Norton or Norwood.

Five. And I checked with my friends who did the letters. They don’t receive any inquiries from Braintree PD.
Thanks for that info. They shouldn't be asking at all. One of the untried challenges to the Massachusetts licensing law is to try to get a PD to deny (not just refuse to accept and process) an application due to a non-statutory requirement. Comm2A won a small case like that in Western Mass earlier in the year, but we need to make a bigger stink. Everyone has the right to (at leat) apply.

Reactions: 42!
Five. And I checked with my friends who did the letters. They don’t receive any inquiries from Braintree PD.
Number of references required by law = 0
Number of letters required by law = 0
CoP "Jump Jump"
LTC applicant "how high?"

@Knuckle Dragger and don't forget suitability, you take away their extra legal requirements and they will just use that even more. Heck, even one additional line to the law would help the suitability BS "The Licensing authority must cite a specific incident which must have occured within the previous 5 years" There is a time limit on some actual convictions, why not on suitability.

It’s on the state form. No letters, but two references are required.
In 2015 it said "optional", I just checked and it now says "as required by your licensing authority", but the law didn't change and there is no such requirement. And under the law the CoP doesn't have the authority to add conditions. So it's still an extra legal condition imposed by the CoP.

How did this quiet additional requirement get slipped in with no one noticing.

In 2015 it said "optional", I just checked and it now says "as required by your licensing authority", but the law didn't change and there is no such requirement. And under the law the CoP doesn't have the authority to add conditions. So it's still an extra legal condition imposed by the CoP.

Huh.... was it ever a requirement? Did I misread that forever, or miss the change?

Number of references required by law = 0
Number of letters required by law = 0
CoP "Jump Jump"
LTC applicant "how high?"

@Knuckle Dragger and don't forget suitability, you take away their extra legal requirements and they will just use that even more. Heck, even one additional line to the law would help the suitability BS "The Licensing authority must cite a specific incident which must have occured within the previous 5 years" There is a time limit on some actual convictions, why not on suitability.
The problem is that anyone who refuses and if the PD stays firm, it will take a minimum of 2 years before it would ever go in front of a judge and get a ruling. So the person does without a LTC for that long as a minimum and it is easy to understand that it is more prudent for the applicant to just comply with the extra BS. That is how the PDs get away with it and can continue to escalate upwards what they requrie beyond MGLs.

FRB changes wording on forms whenever they are so inclined, no law needs to change for that. And the implication is that whatever is on the form "is the law" both to the PD and the applicants. Look at the address change law vs. the FRB form to do so (NO law requires any form or sending copies of LTCs) . . . and many PDs will ONLY accept the form with all the extra BS alleged to be required on said form.

The problem is that anyone who refuses and if the PD stays firm, it will take a minimum of 2 years before it would ever go in front of a judge and get a ruling. So the person does without a LTC for that long as a minimum and it is easy to understand that it is more prudent for the applicant to just comply with the extra BS. That is how the PDs get away with it and can continue to escalate upwards what they requrie beyond MGLs.

In 2015 I didn't put any references down, they told me I forgot, I told them it's not required, the admin person "checked" and then said she was mistaken....Of course I was called unsuitable, but it wasn't for that. So refusing is a risk that you may or may not regret. But if you're squeaky clean and they deny you, you will be in front of a judge in a lot less than 2 years. I'd like to see the CoP defend an suitability claim based on refusing the references.

Got mine in Uxbridge. Took 2 weeks after bringing in paperwork for the interview. I'm pretty sure they knock out most of theirs a certain weekend of the month because there was a decent amount of people there. Took 3 weeks after to receive the license

Had interviews in Weymouth recently and the licencing officer said it takes 4 MONTHS, lol...So much longer than is the law right? Dont they have to make a decision within 60 days or something like that?

The licencing officer was very helpful beforehand and told me lots of things and what to put down as reasons for a LTC, so it seemed like he was kinda pro LTCs , at least it seemed that way.

Had interviews in Weymouth recently and the licencing officer said it takes 4 MONTHS, lol...So much longer than is the law right? Dont they have to make a decision within 60 days or something like that?

The licencing officer was very helpful beforehand and told me lots of things and what to put down as reasons for a LTC, so it seemed like he was kinda pro LTCs , at least it seemed that way.

I am not in Weymouth, but my renewal took 4 months as well. Brutal.

Anybody here with recent experience applying for an unrestricted LTC in Quincy? I'm going in tomorrow morning as a first-time applicant. I completed a safety course with certified live fire at the Mass Firearms School near in Holliston a few weeks ago.

Specifically, I'm wondering if the "All lawful purposes" justification will suffice. Generally, I'm wondering how intense the experience will be from an interviewing perspective.

Anybody here with recent experience applying for an unrestricted LTC in Quincy? I'm going in tomorrow morning as a first-time applicant. I completed a safety course with certified live fire at the Mass Firearms School near in Holliston a few weeks ago.

Specifically, I'm wondering if the "All lawful purposes" justification will suffice. Generally, I'm wondering how intense the experience will be from an interviewing perspective.
Unless something changed recently, if you are <25 yo, you will get restricted.

Unless something changed recently, if you are <25 yo, you will get restricted.

Thank you for the response. Been on the forum for about three hours and I see you all over. I'm 27 and have written, "I desire to have the ability to carry a firearm for personal protection within and outside of my home, and for all lawful purposes." Maybe a little redundant, but if it ticks the boxes, that's fine. We'll see how it goes.

Reporting back on my visit to the Quincy PD for an unrestricted LTC application. The process is still quick and friendly, as I've seen othes report. The woman who helped me was informative and offered to answer any questions I had. She said you'd be surprised at the criminal records and backgrounds that some applicants come in with, but that I was a easy applicant.

She said it could be as long as 12 weeks to receive the license.

Reporting back on my visit to the Quincy PD for an unrestricted LTC application. The process is still quick and friendly, as I've seen othes report. The woman who helped me was informative and offered to answer any questions I had. She said you'd be surprised at the criminal records and backgrounds that some applicants come in with, but that I was a easy applicant.

I think that with the unlimited grace period for renewals, the shitheads like to stretch out the time to process new apps in the same manner. Jack.

Jack I always like the way you sugar coat your opinions with diplomacy. ;)
Well he could have go on how 12 weeks hardly seems "quick".
The local PD will give you a friendly smile and tell you it's the state, but every time someone checks, it's been processed by the state and just sits and waits for those smiling locals to get around to it.

Acton - Wife had interview and paperwork on 11/11. LTC (A, unrestricted) arrived in mailbox 12/12.

R

Twelve weeks is definitely a result of the local PD dragging their heels. I had my renewal appointment in Taunton in mid October. My new LTC came in just after Veterans' Day, about 4 weeks later). Now it's just sitting in my safe waiting another couple months until my old one expires and it becomes valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom