Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My wife and I will move to Massachusetts within the next month. We are looking at places to live and probably end up renting in Quincy, Braintree or Weymouth. We have a double barrel shotgun (CZ Hammer Coach) for home defence and clay pigeon shooting. I understand that it is considered a "non large capacity firearm" and we need either a LTC or FID. I think an FID will do for us since we only want to be able to buy ammo and legally posses the gun plus transporting it in the car when we visit NY or go shooting once we found a shooting range.

Now I have a few questions:

1 Is it easier to get an FID than a LTC?
2 Any chance MA will accept Hunter safety certificates from NY state? We both have those, but I guess we might have to redo them in MA
3 If we bring the gun on our very first moving day into the house/apartment, will it be illegal after 60 days?

Would be great if you guys can help us out!
Every bit of the prior response is incorrect/bad advice.

1. Process for FID and LTC is the same. True about court approval for denial of FIDs, but it is a mere rubber stamp. Truth be told, it is very rare for someone with no criminal record to be denied a LTC. Cost is the same and flexibiltiy is very limited for FID, so go for the LTC.

2. You need a MSP approved LTC course to get your LTC. NY Hunter Ed course is good for getting a hunting license . . . after you get your LTC.

3. Bring it with you, lock it up until licensed. Nobody will hassle you if the PD takes more than 60 days as long as you do your part. Also by bringing it with you you will NOT have to register it, so the PD and state will never know that you even have it. All perfectly legal.

2. You need a MSP approved LTC course to get your LTC. NY Hunter Ed course is good for getting a hunting license . . . after you get your LTC.

This is not true. Hunters safety course is sufficient

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131p

“MGL” said:
...a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.

An MA-approved hunting certificate is sufficient for an FID, not an LTC. But he does not have an MA-approved certificate, so it's irrelevant. Regardless he should be applying for an LTC, not an FID. Len is correct here.

Len is also correct that once you have your LTC, an out of state hunting certificate is sufficient to get an MA hunting license.

A NY HE certificate won't fly for an FID or LTC, as Boston4567 points out, details matter!

Also a number of MA chiefs/LOs will not accept a MA HE certificate for either a FID or LTC, even though MGL calls it out as acceptable. Sadly from my experience taking HE some years ago, I understand why! We were given incorrect (some felony quality) info from the EPO, nobody touched a gun, etc.

It sure looks like the law says a mass approved HE cert is good for an LTC or an FID. Where does the law make a distinction?

Whether the issuing authority accepts it is a different matter.

It sure looks like the law says a mass approved HE cert is good for an LTC or an FID. Where does the law make a distinction?

Whether the issuing authority accepts it is a different matter.
I'm not going to go read the statute but I know that it must be a MA HE course since they are obligated to teach MA gun law (what many do here is a joke, but it is what it is). Just like you can't take just any NRA BP or HFS course to qualify for a MA FID/LTC.

And yes they use "discretion" and many won't accept the MA HE certs. I'm saying this based on info I have seen from LE.

1. Technically FID is "easier" to get because the PD will have to petition the court to deny you for suitability, that is if you are not a PP, which you dont seem to be(own shotgun)
It will depend greatly on the town you move to. The paperwork and fee are the same for LTC and FID
2.hunter safety course must be approved by MA State Police, and hunter safety course are usually only good for FID card
3.my opinion is, dont bring the firearm to the state until you are licensed, but there is a grace period, i am not sure of the current time you have. Others can comment on actual day limit to comply.
4.as you and all of us know, MA gun laws are confusing and many, learn them well!!
Len, were you referring to my answer as bad advice?, i thought my answer was pretty spot on, and actually pretty much same as yours? i am always open to being corrected though, :)

I'm not going to go read the statute but I know that it must be a MA HE course since they are obligated to teach MA gun law (what many do here is a joke, but it is what it is). Just like you can't take just any NRA BP or HFS course to qualify for a MA FID/LTC.

And yes they use "discretion" and many won't accept the MA HE certs. I'm saying this based on info I have seen from LE.

Reading comprehension fail:

I misread A NY as a misspelling of “Any”, changing the meaning entirely.

Len, were you referring to my answer as bad advice?, i thought my answer was pretty spot on, and actually pretty much same as yours? i am always open to being corrected though, :)
Yes, I was referring to your response. Other replies crept in while I was typing mine.

1. I feel that it isn't right to terrorize new folks that chiefs will deny folks willy nilly. Ever since Comm2A has come on the scene, chiefs have pulled back some of their unjust shenanigans as they KNOW that they will be sued.
2. MSP doesn't approve HE courses. @Mister Happy can address HE better than I can but MGL calls it out for FID or LTC.
3. Legal to move in with guns and huge advantage is that you never have to register them if you do that.
4. Sorry but I feel what you posted didn't help a new guy looking for good advice. Nothing personal.

Reading comprehension fail:

I misread A NY as a misspelling of “Any”, changing the meaning entirely.

LOL. Well auto-correct sometimes does mess up replies to mean something that wasn't intended.

No prob,
so i was wrong about MSP approving HE course, but LTC course must be ok'd, sorry about that
I guess i thought all firearms brought into the state must go to the gun portal, sorry about that
And the" terrorizing" was a, better safe than sorry, prepare for the worst, type of answer, maybe not the best idea, i have been reading too many MA court cases on suitability. Sorry
But, hey i was like 62% correct? 13% opinion and 25% terror?
Kidding.

No prob,
so i was wrong about MSP approving HE course, but LTC course must be ok'd, sorry about that
I guess i thought all firearms brought into the state must go to the gun portal, sorry about that
And the" terrorizing" was a, better safe than sorry, prepare for the worst, type of answer, maybe not the best idea, i have been reading too many MA court cases on suitability. Sorry
But, hey i was like 62% correct? 13% opinion and 25% terror?
Kidding.
IIRC Comm2A released stats on denials and the numbers were infinitesimal. Thus I don't recommend bringing it up unless someone mentions a prior court appearance.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have read on here that sometimes the PD Chief requests something like "recommendation'" letters from 3 people. That seems against the law but probably not much we could do against. Is that for FID, LTC or both in some areas? Would people from outside MA count, since we only know people in NY?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have read on here that sometimes the PD Chief requests something like "recommendation'" letters from 3 people. That seems against the law but probably not much we could do against. Is that for FID, LTC or both in some areas? Would people from outside MA count, since we only know people in NY?

You'd have to ask your PD what they want. There is nothing that lets them require letters of recommendation, but since that doesn't stop them, who knows what requirements they've made up to go along with the requirement.

How does this look? Clicking on the community will bring the user to the firearms licensing requirements and/or contact info for that department. "NI" (No Info), means that department doesn't have a website, or there is no licensing info for that department.

These are the communities that have been reported so far (including some of the better known 'yeas or nays'... Brookline, Boston, Quincy, Arlington, etc).

Amherst

Arlington

Bedford (Note:pDF file)

Bellingham NI

Belmont LTC

Belmont FID

Bolton

Boston

Brockton

Brookline

Burlington NI (contact phone # only)

Haverhill (Note: PDF File)

Holden

Hubbardston NI (website directs to CHSB)

Leominster NI

Maynard

Melrose

North Attleborough

Northhampton

Plymouth

Salem

Quincy NI

Somerville NI

South Hadly NI

Sterling NI

Waltham

Watertown

Westfield

Westford NI

West Hampton NI

West Springfield NI

Link to MA Police Departments websites
I have published a book in June called GUN SENSE, it covers Ma law in a way that makes for easy reading. It covers how to write a 'Reason' letter with a template letter that can be tweaked to fit your circumstances. It also has a very good template letter for 'Letters of Recommendation' and much much more. It will help you navigate these so-called 'tough' towns were people think it is hard to exercise their rights on page 141. Check GUN SENSE out on Amazon. It is now rated #1 in the Shooting and Hunting section, the Kindle is rated #4 in the same section. It cover serious aspects of firearm safety as well. Good for anywhere you may live, not just Ma. specific. Mark Shean Sr.

Sooo we will be moving to Weymouth and I just found out that the process is crazy with 3 letters of recommendation plus signed live fire practise, which then most likely still will only be a restricted LTC...now my question is what if we move in like 12 month to another town which is green? Can we apply for an unrestricted right away or do we have to wait until the old one runs out and then apply for unrestricted? Is it even possible to get an unrestricted after being issued a restricted ltc from a previous town?

Sooo we will be moving to Weymouth and I just found out that the process is crazy with 3 letters of recommendation plus signed live fire practise, which then most likely still will only be a restricted LTC...now my question is what if we move in like 12 month to another town which is green? Can we apply for an unrestricted right away or do we have to wait until the old one runs out and then apply for unrestricted? Is it even possible to get an unrestricted after being issued a restricted ltc from a previous town?

Any letters and live fire are NOT required under MA law (even references are not required), but this kind of extra-legal requirement is becoming normal and people are complying so there you go, drink the kool aid and enjoy.

If you move you can apply for a new LTC but you will need to convince the issuing authority of the original LTC to expire it early, so the CoP who issued the restricted has to be on-board with doing this. It's worked for some and not for others. Getting unrestricted is always up to the issuing authority, and yes people have gotten an unrestricted after getting a restricted.

Any letters and live fire are NOT required under MA law (even references are not required), but this kind of extra-legal requirement is becoming normal and people are complying so there you go, drink the kool aid and enjoy.

If you move you can apply for a new LTC but you will need to convince the issuing authority of the original LTC to expire it early, so the CoP who issued the restricted has to be on-board with doing this. It's worked for some and not for others. Getting unrestricted is always up to the issuing authority, and yes people have gotten an unrestricted after getting a restricted.

Thanks, crazy how these made up rules are all different throughout the state...and now we will be in one of the worst...

I'm actually looking to renew in Weymouth next week probably. Does anyone know if you can have your restrictions removed when you renew? I know that the town was dropped from that Comm2a suit after the plaintiffs were issued their unrestricted. Have they lightened up at all?

My son just had a pleasant experience in Lexington, where we had heard anecdotally that all new applicants were getting a Sporting restriction. I told him to very politely insist on unrestricted. That's what he got.

Mansfield - applied for renewal in February, received LTC in mail at the end of last week (2nd week of July). Straightforward process (minus letter to chief), but that was a painful wait.

Reactions: CAR
MONSON - Just went in for renewal yesterday, still about as good as it gets, he actually told me to write less on the form next time so he didn't have to type it all in , gave receipt on the spot, and told they've been getting the cards in about 30 days.

Just an update on Waltham. Paperwork in 9-6, interview 9-11, call to pick up unrestricted 10-2. Issuing officer said they don’t issue restricted anymore.

Nice. My understanding was that Waltham used to be one of those towns that would issue with restrictions your first time and then would lift the restrictions on renewal if you asked.

As to #3 on your list - the move in grace period only applies to non-high cap weapons and magazines. See Commonwealth v. Cornelius.

As to #3 on your list - the move in grace period only applies to non-high cap weapons and magazines. See Commonwealth v. Cornelius.
IANAL, but I believe that there are legal ways to deal with that and thus not have to register them. And no, I am not going to discuss them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom