Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My wife and I are moving out of Quincy, so I've been frequenting this list the past month. We have both recently received our 1st renewal for our LTC-A in Quincy this past year. We're looking at some towns that are Green such as Norwell, Hingham, and Hanover. We're also wondering if anyone has experience going into a Red town such as Sharon, Cohasset, Scituate who already have their LTC-A. Are those towns out for us, or still a possibility?

Thanks,
Joe

Both a friend and I had no problem getting our Class A ALP in Southampton - mine issued for first time around '13, friend's in '17. I believe that the negative experience may have been based on older info... I would code it green, but seeing someone had issue maybe orange appropriate until you receive more data points?

This is anecdotal but in my experience, Southampton now appears to be green. I have a few friends that have recently applied and were unrestricted the first time out. My wife and I also moved to town a few years back and on renewal got unrestricted the same as our previous town. I think the red comes from when Chief Silvernail was still on staff.

Sorry about Chief Silvernail, he was hired when I let the Southampton PD to go to work at Smith College... I still wonder if I hadn't of left, I maybe could be the Chief in Ston right now, that would be interesting :cool:

Both a friend and I had no problem getting our Class A ALP in Southampton - mine issued for first time around '13, friend's in '17. I believe that the negative experience may have been based on older info... I would code it green, but seeing someone had issue maybe orange appropriate until you receive more data points?
No need to code it anything, Comm2A pulls this data together (this is 2017, I don 't think 2018 has been compiled as of yet): Licensing Scorecard

Just dropped off an application at Danvers. I was told I was being issued a restricted LTC and the wait time was to be about 8 weeks.

Kinda miffed. I was told it was because I was 22. And apparently people under the age of 25 have no idea how guns work. Totally ignoring the fact that I've had an FID for 4 years. I've taken both the firearms safety course and the state Hunter Education course. I've been a member of a sportsman's club for years, and shot semi-competitively in Amateur Trapshooting Association events. And I haven't so much as received a speeding ticket in all my life.

I was told to put about 2000 rounds down range and contact the licensing officer in a year and those restrictions would be removed.

If you got grey hair, Danvers is green. If not, its red.

Just dropped off an application at Danvers. I was told I was being issued a restricted LTC and the wait time was to be about 8 weeks.

Kinda miffed. I was told it was because I was 22. And apparently people under the age of 25 have no idea how guns work. Totally ignoring the fact that I've had an FID for 4 years. I've taken both the firearms safety course and the state Hunter Education course. I've been a member of a sportsman's club for years, and shot semi-competitively in Amateur Trapshooting Association events. And I haven't so much as received a speeding ticket in all my life.

I was told to put about 2000 rounds down range and contact the licensing officer in a year and those restrictions would be removed.

If you got grey hair, Danvers is green. If not, its red.
You should shout loudly at the LO, banging your fist on the counter, and demand your ALP......[rofl][rofl] No DON'T do that, or you'll learn what suitability is all about.

I get you're pissed off, but until suitability and stupid restrictions gets thrown out you can't even tell them you're pissed off. Be glad it's just one year. Submit and be happy with what they are allowing you.

Or move.

You should shout loudly at the LO, banging your fist on the counter, and demand your ALP......[rofl][rofl] No DON'T do that, or you'll learn what suitability is all about.

I get you're pissed off, but until suitability and stupid restrictions gets thrown out you can't even tell them you're pissed off. Be glad it's just one year. Submit and be happy with what they are allowing you.

Or move.

Lol, I didn't mean that to come off as scathing. Honestly I have no plans to carry. But it does make transportation on a motorcycle without saddlebags simpler. I wonder what happens if I come back in 3 months with 20 USPSA match receipts and 2000 rounds worth of empty boxes. If ability to shoot a gun is the qualifying factor, I can prove that.

Funny enough, My buddy, the same age as me applied for an LTC in Peabody (a red town) and told me they basically barely looked at his application before processing him as unrestricted.

I get the philosophy behind it. Some newly minted 21 year old kid shows up in your office because he wants to carry a gun. But on paper I'm literally a model gun owner. Showed up in clean clothes with my hair all combed over too.
But politely being told I'm some dumb ass kid who doesn't know the end of the muzzle from the end of his intestinal tract is rage inducing.

Respectfully, I don't think you understand. It's not about safety, it's about control. The CoP set the one year policy because he can. And I doubt any proof of proficiency by you, or if you were older, would make any difference.

Now if you had connections, that would help.

Waltham is green... just took me 8 weeks, 3 ref letters and my own letter. They said they don't do restrictions anymore.
So nice of them to add those four letters to what the law actually requires.

Lol, I didn't mean that to come off as scathing. Honestly I have no plans to carry. But it does make transportation on a motorcycle without saddlebags simpler. I wonder what happens if I come back in 3 months with 20 USPSA match receipts and 2000 rounds worth of empty boxes. If ability to shoot a gun is the qualifying factor, I can prove that.

Funny enough, My buddy, the same age as me applied for an LTC in Peabody (a red town) and told me they basically barely looked at his application before processing him as unrestricted.

I get the philosophy behind it. Some newly minted 21 year old kid shows up in your office because he wants to carry a gun. But on paper I'm literally a model gun owner. Showed up in clean clothes with my hair all combed over too.
But politely being told I'm some dumb ass kid who doesn't know the end of the muzzle from the end of his intestinal tract is rage inducing.

Based on 2017 Licensing data, Peabody is not a red town. Ignore the color coded list at the beginning of this entire thread. It is useless.

First time poster.

I just received my LTC with no restrictions in Concord. It was 12 weeks from application/interview to getting may card in the mail.

-Chris

First time poster.

I just received my LTC with no restrictions in Concord. It was 12 weeks from application/interview to getting may card in the mail.

-Chris
Welcome!

Go "green" so you can take part in group buys and stuff.

Chances are, the vast majority of the questions you come up with have been answered at some point, use the search function first. (it doesn't suck as much as it once did)

Then, when you ask the question, always start with , "I tried searching for..." :)

Welcome!

Go "green" so you can take part in group buys and stuff.

Chances are, the vast majority of the questions you come up with have been answered at some point, use the search function first. (it doesn't suck as much as it once did)

Then, when you ask the question, always start with , "I tried searching for..." :)
Tell him about the secret handshake......

Seriously, welcome

Up for renewal in July in a green town. Called last Thursday for an appointment date for the interview and haven't heard anything yet.
We'll see how this goes. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Up for renewal in July in a green town. Called last Thursday for an appointment date for the interview and haven't heard anything yet.
We'll see how this goes. I'll keep you all posted on the results.
2 weeks and went in Thurs. for the pictures. Love being out of the 495 belt.

Applied in Chelmsford back in March and it was easier than I anticipated. They made it easier recently by removing the requirement for an appointment and don’t require the two reference letters anymore.

The detective was friendly and not judgmental. He did say the chief would probably want to call me in a few weeks to talk about the dismissed cwof on my record. When i explained what happened with that he even said i really shouldn’t have been arrested under the circumstances. I was told it should take 8 weeks to process.

The chief never called. I called to check the status a few weeks ago and was told i was approved and my license was waiting for activation. Today my ltc arrived in the mail with no restrictions, about 10 weeks after applying.

Hi,

My wife and I will move to Massachusetts within the next month. We are looking at places to live and probably end up renting in Quincy, Braintree or Weymouth. We have a double barrel shotgun (CZ Hammer Coach) for home defence and clay pigeon shooting. I understand that it is considered a "non large capacity firearm" and we need either a LTC or FID. I think an FID will do for us since we only want to be able to buy ammo and legally posses the gun plus transporting it in the car when we visit NY or go shooting once we found a shooting range.

Now I have a few questions:

1 Is it easier to get an FID than a LTC?
2 Any chance MA will accept Hunter safety certificates from NY state? We both have those, but I guess we might have to redo them in MA
3 If we bring the gun on our very first moving day into the house/apartment, will it be illegal after 60 days?

Would be great if you guys can help us out!

1. Technically FID is "easier" to get because the PD will have to petition the court to deny you for suitability, that is if you are not a PP, which you dont seem to be(own shotgun)
It will depend greatly on the town you move to. The paperwork and fee are the same for LTC and FID
2.hunter safety course must be approved by MA State Police, and hunter safety course are usually only good for FID card
3.my opinion is, dont bring the firearm to the state until you are licensed, but there is a grace period, i am not sure of the current time you have. Others can comment on actual day limit to comply.
4.as you and all of us know, MA gun laws are confusing and many, learn them well!!

1. Technically FID is "easier" to get because the PD will have to petition the court to deny you for suitability, that is if you are not a PP, which you dont seem to be(own shotgun)
It will depend greatly on the town you move to. The paperwork and fee are the same for LTC and FID
2.hunter safety course must be approved by MA State Police, and hunter safety course are usually only good for FID card
3.my opinion is, dont bring the firearm to the state until you are licensed, but there is a grace period, i am not sure of the current time you have. Others can comment on actual day limit to comply.
4.as you and all of us know, MA gun laws are confusing and many, learn them well!!

thank you for your reply, that already helps a lot! What does "PP" stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom