Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
News from an applicant in Walpole.

It took 4 months to get a Restricted A; 2 months passed between him filing the app and the PD deigning to take his prints (which it is required to take w/i 7 days) and grant him an interview.

This applicant owns his own business, is often paid in cash and works in areas where he has to pay someone to watch his truck and tools while he works (Dorchester, Mattapan, etc.).

The LO's lofty dismissal of basing a request on carrying cash as part of owning a business:

Everyone tells me that.

Don't forget the demand for multiple "letters of recommendation," etc.

sooooo glad i didn't move to that hellhole

my neighbor wants to get his LTC-A in Mansfield. I see on the list it is listed as Red, but I found a post by someone from 2006 saying it was green.

Anyone here have any updated info for Mansfield? I thought I had replied to someone asking because Mansfield stated they wanted a letter saying why you wanted ALP, but I dont remember.

SOmeone help me out!

mansfield is green...you searched for "mansfield"...that is why it is highlighted as red. Go back to the thread without searching and you will see it is green.

mansfield is green...you searched for "mansfield"...that is why it is highlighted as red. Go back to the thread without searching and you will see it is green.

damnit, and I was careful to make sure I didnt do that. I suck.

Does Mansfield require anything besides the course cert, fee and application?

News from an applicant in Walpole.

It took 4 months to get a Restricted A; 2 months passed between him filing the app and the PD deigning to take his prints (which it is required to take w/i 7 days) and grant him an interview.

This applicant owns his own business, is often paid in cash and works in areas where he has to pay someone to watch his truck and tools while he works (Dorchester, Mattapan, etc.).

The LO's lofty dismissal of basing a request on carrying cash as part of owning a business:

Everyone tells me that.

Don't forget the demand for multiple "letters of recommendation," etc.

I'm glad he (apparently) hired you to appeal this. He should at least get an employment stipulation added on, but he is certainly entitled to an ALP. I believe even the law aludes to this as an appropriate reason for an LTC. What damn good is target and shooting? Ridiculous.

UPDATE TO MAP POSTED BY NEPTUNE CAT

I used to live in Scituate, MA and still have many friends who live there and they were given class A LTC's without question. This town should be posted as easy or color coded green on your map. Thanks to all who participated in making this!!!

I used to live in Scituate, MA and still have many friends who live there and they were given class A LTC's without question. This town should be posted as easy or color coded green on your map. Thanks to all who participated in making this!!!

Thanks for the info and welcome aboard.

LTC-A with or without restrictions?

I see Ashby is Red, that may need to be changed to Black. A coworker went to apply Saturday and brought in the 2 page requirements and notices to go with the application. The way I read it they won't even give people a "B" unless you need it for employment or carry money etc. I have a scan of it, pm and I will email it to you.

Sorry for a delayed update but it is good news. My coworker got LTC-A no restrictions back in May. GOAL was notified during the process, so maybe they helped. So I guess that makes Ashby Red, they still have extra requirements.

Also Groton remains Green with the new Chief. 2 family members applied and received LTC-A with no restrictions. They had FID's already. No extra requirements and fast turnaround.

Lunenburg Still Green

Lunenburg Still Green

Here is what I went through, On Sept, 17 I turned 21 years old. I went to the Lunenburg PD with the LTC Application and what MASSGOV.COM stated that I would need for a LTC Class A. When I got to the PD they gave me there own application. This application that the PD gave me required 3 HAND PRINTED LETTERS of recommendation. I was kind of bummed, but what can you do? I got 4 hand printed letters. I called the PD this Monday and asked if I could turn in my Application, I was told that no one was available and to call back Tuesday at 0930am, or at 1300. I thought to my self this is going to be a project. So I called them Today (Tuesday) I called them on my way home from work. At 0920, the man I spoke with on the phone caught me off guard and said Come Right In, Right Now. I was like Holy SSS. I got to the PD at 10:00. The process was great; I could not have been treated better! I sat down with the Lieutenant of the Lunenburg PD who was unbelievable kind. We entered the Application into the computer, When I came down to the feared "Reason for issue" I was asked if I had a record, I stated that I have never had handcuffs on my wrist or had to pay a lower to defined my innocence. I was not asked anything after that. He simply plugged it away into the computer, "All Lawful Purposes" I scanned my right index finger and took a picture. I asked him if I should smile, he said "No, don’t look like a nut that is happy to buy Guns and Ammo," I thought humor was a hoot. I asked him why the hand written letters, the conversation went in the direction of, so the references do not need to be called and that license can be issued in a timely manner. He took me to the booking area where we conducted a complete set of digital fingerprints, I was told to expect my License to arrive at my house in 45 days, after 45 day it is not received to give them a call. I asked is it really 45 day or is that the longest time you want me to hold off be for calling the PD every day, He just smirked. Being 21 years old, for a week I did not plan on being greeted and treated in such a remarkable manner. +1 for the Lunenburg PD. So the wait is on!!! I have a good felling that my mail man and I will be good friends by the time this license arrives.
I just thought I would just share my experience with every one.

-ROB-
Be alert. Be safe…

Salem, MA - Black still?????

I see that Salem is Black on the list but that is from 2005/6. Just wondering if anybody knows any different.

Otherwise I need to move it sounds like.

Lunenburg Still Green

Here is what I went through, ... I went to the Lunenburg PD with the LTC Application and what MASSGOV.COM stated that I would need for a LTC Class A. When I got to the PD they gave me there [sic] own application. This application that the PD gave me required 3 HAND PRINTED LETTERS of recommendation.... I got 4 hand printed letters. ...He simply plugged it away into the computer, "All Lawful Purposes" ... he said "No, don’t look like a nut that is happy to buy Guns and Ammo," I thought humor was a hoot. I asked him why the hand written letters, the conversation went in the direction of, ... He took me to the booking area where we conducted a complete set of digital fingerprints, I was told to expect my License to arrive at my house in 45 days, ...

Just a few things.

I am not so sure a town which asks for more than the state requires should be green. I don't know why one can't be happy to buy guns and ammo. Why go to the "booking room" for a license on a civil right? Imagine if they made you go to the booking room to exercise your first amendment right or your right to vote? I guess that goes along with the mail you'll be getting from the CRIMINAL HISTORY Systems Board.

Sorry to be a downer, but this state stinks.

Just a few things.

I am not so sure a town which asks for more than the state requires should be green.

Fitchburg, Leominster, and Luneburg all require ref letters, although I think Fitchburg and Leominster only require two. None of them require this on
renewal, IIRC, so it's a one time only thing.

Yeah, it sucks, but things could be worse around here. I suppose you could call them "light green" but they're certainly not yellow. (Although Leominster used to be RED many years ago, for whatever reason,, now they're basically an ALP/None town now. )

-Mike

Just a few things.

I am not so sure a town which asks for more than the state requires should be green. I don't know why one can't be happy to buy guns and ammo. Why go to the "booking room" for a license on a civil right? Imagine if they made you go to the booking room to exercise your first amendment right or your right to vote? I guess that goes along with the mail you'll be getting from the CRIMINAL HISTORY Systems Board.

Sorry to be a downer, but this state stinks.

holy debbie downer, batman! [wink]

Frequently the fingerprint equipment is only located in the booking area. No biggie to go there to be printed, unless you are paranoid of the idea of seeing cells.

Frequently the fingerprint equipment is only located in the booking area. No biggie to go there to be printed, unless you are paranoid of the idea of seeing cells.

ding!

I never wouldve thought someone wouldve taken such an idea and turned it into a borderline conspiracy theory!

Woburn is Red!

I live in Woburn and got the "The Chief has already denied 4 LTC's for all lawful purposes this month" runaround speech... if it weren't $100 I probably would have tried anyways. But $100 bucks! my luck ain't that good. So I settled for a "Restricted" class-A LTC for target & hunting. [crying]

I never wouldve thought someone wouldve taken such an idea and turned it into a borderline conspiracy theory!

On this issue, the reaction is a tad unwarranted.

However, you aren't paranoid if they really are after you. And in THIS state, they really are.

On this issue, the reaction is a tad unwarranted.

However, you aren't paranoid if they really are after you. And in THIS state, they really are.

"There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them..."

"That's right, perceptive!"

Well it does not seem that bad here in Salem. I spoke to Lt. Ouelette about the procedure and they require nothing more than the info on the state form and they do all on the computer when I come in. I will be granted, as long as the checks are clear of course, a LTC-A: sporting and target.
If I was a business owner or worked for a amored car or the such they would give an unrestricted. I still have a shot at the unrestricted though.... stay tuned. My appointment is Oct. 16.

Just had a thought.... On the state paperwork do I still put down reason for request as "All legal puposes" or does it not even matter since I will probably just answering the questions verbally and the paper is for my own info?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fall River

Fall River was green....My ex wife and I both received ALP A with no problems in 2001...just needed reference letters and friendly interview with detective Bouchard. I live in Berkley now...Does anybody have any experience with Berkley???

Last edited:
Fall River was green in 2001 when my ex wife and I both recieved class A ALP. She had no prior firearm experience / license. Detective Bouchard still handles process.

Well it does not seem that bad here in Salem. I spoke to Lt. Ouelette about the procedure and they require nothing more than the info on the state form and they do all on the computer when I come in. I will be granted, as long as the checks are clear of course, a LTC-A: sporting and target.
If I was a business owner or worked for a amored car or the such they would give an unrestricted.
So what you're saying that that you believe that business owners are more equal than you are, right? Since you're "merely" a citizen, you don't have a right to self defense, right?

It is that bad... you've just been brainwashed. Try not to be a
sheep.gif
. Push for that "no restrictions" LTC - it is your RIGHT as an American, even if the Salem PD hasn't read the Bill of Rights lately. [angry]

Fall River was green in 2001 when my ex wife and I both recieved class A ALP. She had no prior firearm experience / license. Detective Bouchard still handles process.

I've never heard of anyone in the recent past (like last few years or so) that did not have to go through the "dog and pony show" to get an unrestricted in FR. They seem to be spotty/yellow at best and red at worst.

-Mike

Only saying that Salem was Black meaning that a LTC-A was most likely out of the question and a LTC-B was handed out instead. Happy that it was not.

I have an angle I am going to work to try to get the unrestricted. Just did not want to piss off the Lt. arguing before I even applied.

Can anybody explain what "sporting" as a restriction actually means and or permits the holder to do???

As a restriction, it means you cannot carry concealed.

You could try doing so while camping, fishing, hiking, etc., but run the very real risk of having it revoked and the lesser chance of being charged with carrying outside of the restriction if you are caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom