• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears with Bob Barker becoming Chief things have changed for the better. Badtangle says he had no problem getting an Class A and I know another kid (22ish) that got his Class A last week. The person that handles the licensing is Officer Dottie Tobin. Walk in on Monday, Wednesday or Thursday 7:30 to 2:30. I was told to call first (978) 948-7644. I'm trying to get my parents in to apply by Christmas. I don't live in Rowley but I've worked there for thirty years.
I think Rowley may go from Black to Green [banana]
That's really good to hear. I've had a few students from Rowley in the last few months.

Do you know if they're still requiring applicants to get a sign-off from town departments saying they don't owe the town any money?

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to drop a line. As a new Mass resident with a NH carry license and military service I was able to get a Class A LTC, No Restrictions, from the Worcester PD. While it took a little longer than the law allows for, it was otherwise a painless process. I'm not sure if it was my background that allowed me to get it without hassle or if the outlook has changed. Just thought I'd put the info out there.

Applied in Reading, MA - Red Town (41 years old, first license, applied for LTC Class A).

First, looks like they only process on Tuesdays, so dropped off my application on September 13th and got a call back. Returned call and left a message, got another call back exactly one week later, returned call and left message, again, got a call back one week later, which I was able to take at the time. So 2 weeks of phone tag to start, then next appointment for interview was 4 weeks out (looks like they only do interviews one week a month as I called a few days before my interview and was easily able to move the time that day, most slots were still open). I was also required to have 3 letters of recommendation with me for the interview. At the interview I was informed that they only issues restricted Class A to first timers and would be restricted to Hunting and Sport no exceptions. Still waiting - 6 weeks on Tuesday, they told me 8-10 weeks and not to call before then looking for it. I wil find out when I pick it up if they remove restrictions and what the requirements are if they do.

One of my friends dropped the same day in Winchester MA, had a license in his hands in 3 weeks and 3 days from dropping his license - before I even had an interview! LTC Class A no restrictions!

Applied in Reading, MA - Red Town (41 years old, first license, applied for LTC Class A).

First, looks like they only process on Tuesdays, so dropped off my application on September 13th and got a call back. Returned call and left a message, got another call back exactly one week later, returned call and left message, again, got a call back one week later, which I was able to take at the time. So 2 weeks of phone tag to start, then next appointment for interview was 4 weeks out (looks like they only do interviews one week a month as I called a few days before my interview and was easily able to move the time that day, most slots were still open). I was also required to have 3 letters of recommendation with me for the interview. At the interview I was informed that they only issues restricted Class A to first timers and would be restricted to Hunting and Sport no exceptions. Still waiting - 6 weeks on Tuesday, they told me 8-10 weeks and not to call before then looking for it. I wil find out when I pick it up if they remove restrictions and what the requirements are if they do.

One of my friends dropped the same day in Winchester MA, had a license in his hands in 3 weeks and 3 days from dropping his license - before I even had an interview! LTC Class A no restrictions!

I'm in Reading also but I lived in Melrose when I got my LTC, Class A with no restrictions. I'm hoping Reading will renew mine with no problem. I have a few years to go.

Fitchburg is currently issuing Class A with the Sporting Only restriction.

I have to renew in the first quarter of next year. Hopefully I don't lose my ALP.

I turned in my paperwork to the Dedham PD last week. Filled out the mandatory paperwork, met with a clerk/admin type, reviewed paperwork, fingerprints & picture, payed $100.00, and have appointment with Chief in approx. 2 weeks. Was told the whole process takes 4-6 weeks.

I'm looking to move to Walpole from a black town. I already have my LTC-A with hunting/sporting restrictions. How difficult is it to get one in Walpole with no restrictions?

I'm looking to move to Walpole from a black town. I already have my LTC-A with hunting/sporting restrictions. How difficult is it to get one in Walpole with no restrictions?

If you currently have a restricted LTC-A then you would be considered in the red. Many people have had issues in the past getting an unrestricted LTC from Walpole, also a red town.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
I'm in Reading also but I lived in Melrose when I got my LTC, Class A with no restrictions. I'm hoping Reading will renew mine with no problem. I have a few years to go.
[/FONT]

Fingers crossed for you, let us know how you make out in a few years when you get through it!

Townsend, 2 days per week (Tuesday evenings, Thursday morning) for open walk-in applications. Print, photo and application same day. Class-A, no restrictions, just over 6 weeks.

Forgot to post here. I got my license on Wednesday in the mail. A little over two weeks. Though, as I stated earlier, I got a restricted license.

]
That's really good to hear. I've had a few students from Rowley in the last few months.

Do you know if they're still requiring applicants to get a sign-off from town departments saying they don't owe the town any money?

Yup, here's a copy. They still have a 508 area code on the form so this is pre-90's.

Rowley License Permit Form.png

The new Chief in Pittsfield does issue unrestricted licenses. All of my students who have applied in the last year or more did receive an LTC-A unrestricted.

I don't have mine yet but I just met with the issuing officer this morning. She didn't give me any trouble with my unrestricted LTC-A application. Now it's just a waiting game.

The new Chief in Pittsfield does issue unrestricted licenses. All of my students who have applied in the last year or more did receive an LTC-A unrestricted.

Awesome! Thanks!

I don't have mine yet but I just met with the issuing officer this morning. She didn't give me any trouble with my unrestricted LTC-A application. Now it's just a waiting game.

Time to update the map.

I applied for my first LTC in Randolph and I was talking to the officer in charge of firearms licensing and he says that he usually gives out restricted LTC-A when someone doesn't have alot of firearm traning/handling. I just wanted to post for other's information. FYI I did get a unrestricted LTC because I do have significant training with firearms.

Im going to be moving from Cape to Boston by summer time and am looking for a good town to move to because I don't want to have issues when renewing my LTC. Currently I have an unrestricted class A and want to keep it unrestricted.My license is good till the end of 2015 but I'm just thinking ahead..Any suggestions>>>>

Just an update from New Bedford. Finally had my appointment to submit my application & interview this morning (after waiting since Oct 26th). Licensing officer was all business and asked very few questions. He informed me that the Chief does not 'usually' issue unrestricted licenses to first time applicants, and tried to get me to change my application to LTC-A - "Sporting". I told him that I'd rather not change my application, and that I was hopeful that the Chief would take into account the fact that I've held licenses and owned guns without incident in Missouri since the 80's, and am Treasurer for a non-profit org and a PAC, and though I am a first time applicant here in MA I do have a perfectly clean record of responsibile gun ownership for many years.

He basically told me that I'm welcome to make an appointment with the Chief and plead my case, but that I should expect to be restricted to "Sporting" for my first New Bedford issued license. According to the note taped on his desk, the "Sporting" restriction would allow target & hunting, and "to/from and during outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, skiing, etc.", or in his words "walking the dog". I don't like the fact that their definition of when carry is allowed under the "Sporting" restriction is so vague.

I'm on the fence about whether or not to make an appointment with the Chief and fight for unrestricted, or just wait and see what he does given the letter to him that I submitted with my application. Right now I'm not too optimistic....

Why not make an appt and plead your case?

It's too late after it is issued with restrictions! [It can be done but more hassle and less likely for them to bother doing so.]

Why not make an appt and plead your case?

It's too late after it is issued with restrictions! [It can be done but more hassle and less likely for them to bother doing so.]

Thanks for the advice. I will call this afternoon and ask for an appointment. Sucks that I should have to lose more wages & time over this, as it should really be a non-issue. IMO, if the NB CoP is ever inclined to grant unrestricted LTC-A's to any first time applicant, I should fit that category very nicely. [thinking]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom