• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
185 days in peabody. gun officer would not return my calls so i went down to the station. what do ya know, its been sitting on his desk. class a no restictions.

Picked up the LTC today. Even though I was very clear that I was applying for "For All Lawful Purposes" and went into detail, it was issued for "Target and Hunting". But at least it is Class A High Capacity. I asked about it and the reply was "we really don't issue them for all lawful purposes".

You want to hear the funny thing.

The date of issue on the license is June 17th.

One has to wonder what the hell was going on from June 17th to August 28th...

So Medford remains red. [sad2]

kjs20 thanks for sharing your story, Peabody as generally been red in the past. Maybe they are starting to come around.

You want to hear the funny thing.

The date of issue on the license is June 17th.

One has to wonder what the hell was going on from June 17th to August 28th...

WOW, does that mean it was sitting there since June 17th?? Did you call to check on it at all?

I emailed the CHSB today and they told my that my license is "in process" but the are not permitted to tell me where in the process it is.

I would call Medford PD but don't want to come off pushy.

Got a nice surprise in the mail today

Received my LTC A in Milton today at one day under 7 weeks, which was quicker than the 8-10 weeks the lieutenant quoted.
Positives:
The application process couldn't have been any easier, clear requirements, had any messages I left returned promptly, the interview was very friendly/professional, and they mailed the license to me.

The only negatives, which,sadly, keep Milton a Red town:
  • Despite my request for ALP, got a Target & Hunting restriction. This seems to be the norm at least for the first LTC. I think I've read that renewals are ALP.
  • Required 3 letters of recommendation. I personally didn't have a problem with providing these, but it is an additional hurdle.

Thanks for the update SeanT. I've had a similar experience so far, and have my appointment with the LO for my first license in Milton this week. I'm expecting a restricted license (just based on other folks' issuance, not any personal reasons), but am keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Question -

MA license is good for 6 years but mine expires on my birthday.... So it really ends up being like 5.5 years. Is everyone's like this?

Question -

MA license is good for 6 years but mine expires on my birthday.... So it really ends up being like 5.5 years. Is everyone's like this?

This is normal.

The license is supposed to expire on the fifth birthday after its issuance, so most people's first licenses will be valid for five years and change.

When you go to renew, if your licensing authority is nice to you, they will issue the new license right on your birthday, which would make it valid for exactly six years. If they couldn't be bothered, though, and your date of issuance is even one day before your birthday, your license will expire in five years and one day.

My Check was finally deposited after about a month(8/04 - 9/02). Hopefully my LTC-A will be coming next week sometime. I hope =/

Question -

Yes, you usually get ripped off a little....at least on the first license... unless you talk to your IA about applying in time for your birthday, etc. On a renewal they can usually just set it up so that the new license goes active the day the old one expires, so you won't get ripped off when you renew.

This problem was worse when the license was 4 yrs instead of six.

-Mike

Does anyone have any experiences with the new police chief in Easton? Thanks!

If the new chief has been in office since about 6 -8 mos. ago, you shouldn't have any problems if you can get the reccomendation letters that they require- just ask your friends, neighbors, boss, etc.. A friend of a friend got theirs with no restrictions around the beginning of the year. Good Luck

Danvers is Green .. No issues other than wanting to know what the real reason to carry was... Did not like the reason for all lawful purpose.... so I told them the truth. Protection ...no problem was issued a month later.....( prior posting) These are the facts and I am sticking to them...I have absolutly no reason to think Danvers is anything other han GREEN... Wife just took the training course passed went and applied...listed it was for protection and was granted her Class A unrestricted....so call it what you willTo me it,s green.

Chalk up another (+) for Boxford. Chief is a great guy and a big believer in the 2nd Amendment. Got my Class A - All Lawful Purposes.

Shrewsbury seems very green to me. Wife and I had our "interviews" yesterday and the Sgt was super friendly and a really great guy. He laughed at the whole paragraph we wrote (found on here and thru Mike-Mike) and said we could have just written "protection". [rofl] I told him we wanted to not talk ourselves out of getting it and he admitted some people had done that before. I guess he said the Chief had rejected a few applications based on people handing in handwritten letters of rec. on a half sheet of notebook paper with a ripped edge also.

Will update once I get it, but he said 4-6 weeks and we should get our ALP LTC-A, so I'm pretty confident that is what will happen.

Milton is decidedly RED.
My wife and I went for our interviews this morning. The process was painless and the LO was incredibly nice, but he said that the chief's policy was that all first time issuances are given "Target and Hunting". Renewals, however, are then given ALP.

Since we are friends with the LO, I knew he was giving us the straight truth. I even went above and beyond the needs for Milton (3 letters of reference) and wrote a letter directly to the chief, citing MGL 140/131/(d), and using bits and pieces from this board. He thought it was a good letter, but once again he said all 1st timers get restricted. I tried a few other tactics, but it was really no use. I don't fault the LO, since it seems he is bound by the chief's policy. Like I said, since he is a friend, I didn't want to push my luck.
We were told we should expect our licenses in the mail in about 6-8 weeks.
I'll let you know if anything changes, or if I get a pleasant surprise (not holding my breath).

Milton is decidedly RED.

Sorry to hear that you and your wife can't get licensed to carry in Milton.

Milton. . . . Milton. . . . Milton. . . . Something tells me that our scumbag governor and his depressed wife would have no trouble getting licensed to carry in Milton if they wanted to. . . .

If the new chief has been in office since about 6 -8 mos. ago, you shouldn't have any problems if you can get the reccomendation letters that they require- just ask your friends, neighbors, boss, etc.. A friend of a friend got theirs with no restrictions around the beginning of the year. Good Luck

That's interesting - it doesn't say anything about letters of recommendation online. I think the chief just started in July.

I am going to re-apply in Danvers for my Class A. I saw a post in this thread somewhere about Danvers getting a new police chief. Is this true? I am writing a letter to go along with my application and want to make sure I get the correct person. I did some looking online and see the Chief Oulette is still there. I am glad to see people are having positive experiences in Danvers.

Shrewsbury seems very green to me. Wife and I had our "interviews" yesterday and the Sgt was super friendly and a really great guy. He laughed at the whole paragraph we wrote (found on here and thru Mike-Mike) and said we could have just written "protection". [rofl]

What is this paragraph you speak of, and where can I find it?

What is this paragraph you speak of, and where can I find it?

Hmmm... I thought it was in here under the MA laws section, but I'm not finding it. I'll have to grab the piece of paper I have tonight and type it up. I'm not sure whether it comes from Mike-Mike or from Mass Firearms School.

Ironically, I wrote up the full paragraph and the LEO who entered the info wrote ALP. [rofl]

Ironically, I wrote up the full paragraph and the LEO who entered the info wrote ALP. [rofl]
Yes, I think the "right" approach is to feel out your local LEO (i.e. call and ask) before you either hit them with your constitutional case or provide too little in the way of support...

Best to go in prepared...

Mine didn't want to be lectured, fully intended to issue unrestricted barring any issues (per our prior conversaion) but neither was ALP sufficient...

My wife and I just completed an 8 hour pistol certification course on Saturday and now have our certificates to obtain our LTC. We live in Methuen Ma and I have already seen it is a red code for LTC Class A conceal carry. We will be filling out our applications ASAP I'm just waiting on a letter from my employer verifying I carry large sums of cash for deposits and I also start work at very early pre sunrise hours in some very unsavory neighborhoods in Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, Lowell, Lawrence etc. My question is this.

Will this letter help me to obtain a conceal carry? I am on the north side of 40 yrs old and have one dui from the mid 80's. Clean record prior to and after that. Any ideas?

Thanks

......Will this letter help me to obtain a conceal carry? I am on the north side of 40 yrs old and have one dui from the mid 80's. Clean record prior to and after that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Considering the DUI, I'd suggest consulting an appropriate lawyer or GOAL instead of some guys from the internet. Cross-X on here is a firearms lawyer and damn good guy. Send him a PM

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=278

My wife and I just completed an 8 hour pistol certification course on Saturday and now have our certificates to obtain our LTC. We live in Methuen Ma and I have already seen it is a red code for LTC Class A conceal carry. We will be filling out our applications ASAP I'm just waiting on a letter from my employer verifying I carry large sums of cash for deposits and I also start work at very early pre sunrise hours in some very unsavory neighborhoods in Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan, Lowell, Lawrence etc. My question is this.

Will this letter help me to obtain a conceal carry? I am on the north side of 40 yrs old and have one dui from the mid 80's. Clean record prior to and after that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Don't know if anyone's PM'd you about this or if you've contacted anyone, but if the DUI was before May of '94, then it won't count against you - unless of course the chief decides not to follow the law. After '94 it's a total disqualifier.

Here is the paragraph:

Because I desire to possess a firearm for personal protection and to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes.

Sorry to hear that you and your wife can't get licensed to carry in Milton.

Milton. . . . Milton. . . . Milton. . . . Something tells me that our scumbag governor and his depressed wife would have no trouble getting licensed to carry in Milton if they wanted to. . . .

I'll go out on a limb and say Devals unregistered sex offender brother in law could get an unrestricted LTC-A Just a hunch.

link

Here is the paragraph:

Because I desire to possess a firearm for personal protection and to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes.

Thanks very much!

Gloucester is definitely green, I a call that my LTC-A was ready to be picked up a 8 days after I applied. I'm guessing that part of the reason for the quick turnaround is that I didn't have to turn in the actual application, when I met with the LO she filled in the application directly online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom