• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a minor point: There's no such thing as "transferring" your license from one town to another. When you move, you're required to notify the CLEOs in both locations as well as the Colonel of the State Police. Having done that, there's nothing else involved. The CLEO in the new city/town has absolutely nothing to do with your license; it's still from the original location, and that's the only one who can revoke it. When you come up for renewal, it's a whole new ballgame.

Ken

Franklin is green. Issuing officer returned my call and was very curteous and we even had some banter about what I might buy and what I already had (I was moving in from another state). Had my class A in a few weeks.

Marblehead Green.

Me - All legal Purposes Class A no hassle no nonsense , very friendly.-2004

My Cousin - Screwed up the app and checked Class B by accident , called police explained it - and they issues a Second license - Class A All legal Purposes without hassle or attitude..- 2006

Never heard of a denial here yet.

Somerville- took about 5 weeks...LTC/ALP no problems. got it today

Were you a renewal or a new license? The last few people I've heard
of from slummerville got neutered licenses, but if yours was a renewal its
possible they don't try to chinse down on the renewals.

-Mike

Mendon is Green (actually based on the last presidential election we're the "reddest" town in Central Massachusetts, which is the reason we're green about LTCs.)

Cohasset should probably be red. While (from what I've heard)the chief is pretty much not giving out any new ALPs (unless of course you are some really rich bigshot), he has been renewing old ALPs (like mine) without an issue and he has not appparently had a problem with Class A "Hunting and Target."

I also know several people in Quincy - I would think it could be the worst place in the state.

Were you a renewal or a new license? The last few people I've heard
of from slummerville got neutered licenses, but if yours was a renewal its
possible they don't try to chinse down on the renewals.

-Mike

I was a non-resident renewal. My license came back as LTC/ALP without any hassle.

I was a non-resident renewal. My license came back as LTC/ALP without any hassle.

You mean non resident, as in like a business type LTC? (eg, some towns
grant licenses to those who have a business interest in their city) or a -state-
nonresident license?

If you're talking about a STATE non resident LTC, that's why it's
issued ALP... becuase the state issues it and not Somerville PD. The
state is somewhat less rediculous in terms of putting restrictions on licenses
and the like, or at least thats what the trend is recently.

-Mike

You mean non resident, as in like a business type LTC? (eg, some towns
grant licenses to those who have a business interest in their city) or a -state-
nonresident license?

If you're talking about a STATE non resident LTC, that's why it's
issued ALP... becuase the state issues it and not Somerville PD. The
state is somewhat less rediculous in terms of putting restrictions on licenses
and the like, or at least thats what the trend is recently.

-Mike

Last year I was traveling to MA for work while living in OH so I picked up a non-resident LTC. I moved to Somerville a month or so ago so I went in to apply for a resident LTC. They said since I've had a LTC in the past (even though it was a non-resident), I was a renewal, not a first time.

Not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that I ended up with an ALP license though.

edit:
yes, I had a STATE non-resident temporary LTC/ALP, but now I have a resident LTC/ALP.

Last edited:
So, how would you fix this problem of wait times? There is a 40 (or is it 45) day period, but no penalty, right? Surely, there must be a realistic way to address this. Weigh in here: redo MA gun laws

Last year I was traveling to MA for work while living in OH so I picked up a non-resident LTC. I moved to Somerville a month or so ago so I went in to apply for a resident LTC. They said since I've had a LTC in the past (even though it was a non-resident), I was a renewal, not a first time.

Not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that I ended up with an ALP license though.

Yep it did. I was assured that they DO NOT give ALP to first-time applicants and that I would be "considered" for ALP when I renew.

I noticed that Hamilton is in red on the list, but I did not see any explanation or reference to a specific instance in the thread. Could someone elaborate for me, please?

I lived in Ware for 20 years. The current chief is pro-gun.

I now live in Easthampton (which isn't even on the list). When it was time renew my license I found the PD to be friendly and helpful.

Well Southbridge is green got my LTC Class A no restrictions in 14 days.

The thing looks like a drivers license except it being white and yippee I get another set pin number to remember. [rolleyes]

Ned Infromation About LTC in Westford

I applied for a Class "A" LTC in Westford 12/16/06 and have not heard anything as yet. I realize that they have 40 days to act on the application

But, I've seen in other posts that the issuing PD was supposed to take fingerprints within 7 days of application for the background check. As of now, I have not been contacted.

I've also seen differing posts with regard to "green", "red', and "black" ratings for Westford.

One showed Westford as being rated "green" for ALP and another post showed it as red. Which is accurate?

Anyone familiar with the conditions for LTC issuance in Westford and any advice much appreciated.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom