• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved to Salem from NC going on a year ago. I got a Class A restricted for Sporting and Target. The problem is that I was informed that I would be able to CC when hiking. How does this state get away with charging law abiding citizens two hundred dollars for a "right" and still treat them as second class citizens. It's seems to be treated more as a privilage than a right in MA. Sorry had to vent. By the way it's nice to be part of this forum. A lot of knowledge floating around here.

Last edited:
my friend applied for Class A ALP in Natick...it was taking some time for him to hear back but apparently they were waiting for his birthday to arrive before they issued it to him as he was within a couple of weeks. So now he has a Class A no restrictions issued from Natick.

I would say that makes Natick GREEN

My third term renewal in Watertown, I was told they 'do not issue ALP, even to police officers.'

And a Somerville cop who used to work in watertown told me that they denied him too!

I just got my ALP Class A renewed in Waltham, but the story I'm hearing is that they'll renew ALP permits, but not issue new ones. I can't comment on this.

Everett may be green, I was issued first time Class A LTC no restrictions. I don't know of anyone eles from Everett who applied, To be fair, I had a friend with some pull, don't think I would have gotten it without him

Make Hudson either red or black; they do NOT issue ALP's at all. (I used to live there and I'm told it has not changed).

I got the call today !

I applied to up grade my (worthless) F.I.D. card to an LTC-A last month. I got the call from the licensing officer and picked up my LTC today.

Restrictions: NONE [banana] [smile] [banana]

I'm out in Templeton

You can mark Millbury as green as long as the current chief (Handfield) remains. When I moved into town and went to renew, I asked the chief about the "reason for issuance" which was something like sporting/target on the current one. He stated that he ONLY issued Class-A "Any Lawful purpose" to avoid any problems. (for him, OR us)
I've since gotten to know the chief and was involved in local politics. He knows I collect and compete and I'm sure he would give me a full auto license if I asked. I'm too afraid of the cost if I actually got a class-3 license.[smile]
Renewals are processed promptly and they were quick to implement the new style computer generated licenses.

mmm... I work in Lakeville... wonder if I could get them to upgrade my neutered LTC-A

Unless there's something not obvious in your post, the chances are precisely zero. For starters, working in a town doesn't provide a basis for applying there. You need to either live there or own/operate a business there. Second, CLEO's have pretty much decided that professional courtesy means never issuing an LTC to a resident of another town, even though the law allows it.

Ken

Weymouth should be RED.

I moved to Weymouth recently (from Quincy, Chief Crowley's domain). I got an LTC-A Restricted from Crowley and wanted to know if Weymouth had a procedure for upgrading or renewing early (with a bump to ALP, of course). I called and asked the PD and they told me that "unless you need a firearm for your job, then you'll get a restricted license."

I asked a few more questions like: is self defense a proper reason to apply for an ALP? To which he responded "Only if your job requires it, it's just the way it's always been done here."

So, in Weymouth you'll get a restricted license unless you need a gun for your job.

BJ- you should add Sharon

A friend of ours is in the process of renewing. He had to submit a Doctor's note along with his app and we're all holding our breath to see if he gets bumped down from his current ALP.

On the Dr's note alone that lets you know what sort of town Sharon is in. I'm sure LenS will have more info. I'm surprised it isn't listed already.

ETA: Actually, based on what Len might have to say it's possible that it's Sharon

Thumbs up for Hanson!

I have to say I am happy and proud that I live in Hanson. I went in to renew my ALP Class A LTC, 3.5 weeks ago. The only thing I had to fill out was the signature line of the (on the computer) renew application. They didnt ask for anything over and above the application itself. The Officer just asked the questions and clicked the mouse.

On a lark, I called today to inquire whether my permit had come in or not and was pleasantly surprised to hear that it had.
After reading all the posts about long lead times for these, I thought for sure it would be half way through October before I saw mine.

Not 30 minutes ago, I was handed my Class A with no restrictions wallet sized LTC.

Two thumbs up Hanson!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom