• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
CJN-77: Please let us know how it works out. It would be great news if they are regularly giving out ALP. It seems like Natick licensing changes with the moon phase.

I applied in Natick on July 24th. The process took 45 mins and the Detective reviewed all my paperwork before the computer application started. On Aug 16th I got my Class A - No Restrictions in the mail. The license has an issue date of 8/13/08... 18 days after the application.

So it's a mix call on Natick being Green or not.

I applied in Natick on July 24th. The process took 45 mins and the Detective reviewed all my paperwork before the computer application started. On Aug 16th I got my Class A - No Restrictions in the mail. The license has an issue date of 8/13/08... 18 days after the application.

So it's a mix call on Natick being Green or not.
I spoke with a fellow who joined my club a few weeks ago. He applied in Natick around the same time and was told that they don't give out unrestricted LTCs. He got an LTC Class A restricted to "Sporting."

going on my ninth week post-app submission in Watertown. i'd like to remind them they're about 3 weeks past their legal deadline, since i know cops love having the law read to them, but i'm keeping it friendly. i'm curious to see what they put on the denial or reason for restriction, since i applied explicitly for an alp, and they won't (can't) write down their non-issuance policy.

going on my ninth week post-app submission in Watertown. i'd like to remind them they're about 3 weeks past their legal deadline, since i know cops love having the law read to them, but i'm keeping it friendly. i'm curious to see what they put on the denial or reason for restriction, since i applied explicitly for an alp, and they won't (can't) write down their non-issuance policy.

you shouldve moved to ARlington, THEN applied [wink]

Call if you haven't already. They had mine for days but never called to tell me it was in. It took a call from me asking about an update to find that out.
BTW Good luck with the ALP...[laugh]

finally got through to someone on the phone. application submitted july 3rd (2008, in case that becomes an issue...). today is the 9 week mark. 63 days after my application was submitted... on the phone he stated the chief wouldn't look at it before the 11th (next thursday) and that they would "enter it into the state computer" or something after that, which will take two weeks to turn into a license. if nothing else comes up, i'm looking at 12 weeks application to delivery. i wonder if they're trying to wait until my safety certificate is more than 6 months old :)

georgetown, MA

i put ALP on my app and recieved my class A in 3WKS! I walked in to the GPD thinking i would have to set an appointment. The officer took me in her office and did everything thing right then and there. I expected a 6 month wait. She said come back in 3 weeks and pic up you classA at the front desk. I almost sh!t myself. I couldnt believe she said 3 wks. It arrived just like she said. 3 wks

Just curious, is there a definite pattern to be found with red and black towns having a democrat for a police chief. If an overwhelming majority of red and black communities have democrat police chiefs, could you argue that the the obstructionism is politically motivated and therefore arbitrary and/or capricious.

Just curious, is there a definite pattern to be found with red and black towns having a democrat for a police chief. If an overwhelming majority of red and black communities have democrat police chiefs, could you argue that the the obstructionism is politically motivated and therefore arbitrary and/or capricious.

Personally, I have no idea if chiefs have any obligation to divulge political affiliation but in that map there is a definite socio-economic pattern (age, race, income) and I would suggest this is the best way to demonstrate that the regs are not arbitrary and capricious but biased and violative of any number of established civil rights precedents. Even if we see them as arbitrary and capricious because the ability to receive an ALP is not based on any sane, relevant criteria.

Edit: Hell, the whole crux of the souths argument against interference of the north in race issues was based on this idea of local control and what works there won't work here crap. The antis are employing the very same strategy of the Jim Crow south. Move everything to the local level in order to ensure lots of little battles which will receive scant attention instead of one large battle that will draw lots of attention. There they can influence local police chiefs and local CLEO hiring criteria while drawing little attention to themselves. It is the same thing the rigidly righteous are doing to bring "god back into our schools" with ID and creation theory. The hypocrisy on the part of liberals who hold themselves in such high regard is repugnant.

Last edited:
I am going to start a thread based on WayneWong and my posts. If this gets any attention it could start a big conversation that is not relevant to this thread directly.

Just wanted to share my experience in Pittsfield.

I dropped off my application for an LTC-A in early July. I was told (not unkindly) by the officer working the desk that day that the woman handling Firearms licensing was scheduling her appointments for Thursdays only, between the hours of 8am and 2pm.

As I run a restaurant for a living, it's tough to get out of work on short notice during those hours, and I had to wait until 7/29 for my face-to-face appointment; required based on my application for "LTC-A, All Lawful Purposes."

On my appointment day, I found Ms. Wheeler to be very friendly about the whole process. We printed, photographed (she even got a smile out of me!) and discussed the repairs being made to the PD's air conditioning system for a while. She then informed me that the gentleman who was serving as Chief (temporarily from an official, but likely not practical standpoint... good riddance, Riello!! [grin] ...and sorry, Falmouth. [sad]) wanted to personally interview each applicant who applied for "ALP" (now re-designated as "Unrestricted.") permits. She informed me that I was required to schedule a meeting with him on my own time, and at his convenience. She then informed me that she wasn't going anywhere for the next five minutes, and I was more than welcome to use the phone on her desk.

I called the Chief's office, and his secretary put me on hold for a brief time. She came back on, and called me upstairs. I met Chief Wynn, and was impressed immediately. He made it very clear that he was not like the former Chief, and actually DOES believe in the right of the citizenry to defend itself. He also told me that he wanted to get a little insight into my character and principles before issuing the license.

We had a good, honest conversation. He went into the legality of self defense in our Lovely Commonwealth, the emotions that one may have during high pressure situations, and the very clearly defined line that separates policemen from non-policemen when it comes to actually firing a weapon in a public place. (in other words: don't be a cowboy, because unless you're 1000000% sure, you're probably going to kill someone innocent, wind up in jail for a real long time, or get dropped by the actual police, who just see a threat.)

At the conclusion of our interview, he informed me that he's been carrying himself for as long as he could remember, damn near 24hrs a day. He also said that it wasn't a choice he felt was right for everyone, but that his job wasn't to make the choice, only to be sure that the wrong people weren't allowed to make such choices. He then told me that he saw no reason not to issue me an Unrestricted LTC-A, and we shook hands.

I was impressed, to tell the truth. I googled the man (Chief Michael Wynn... in case anyone else gets a hankering to do the same)after our interview, and found out that he's written a book, and both attended and taught classes on firearms safety, tactics, and theory. I actually sleep a little better at night knowing this fellow is in charge of the local PD.

Fast forward forty-two days, and my card arrived in the mail today. Restrictions: None.

[smile]

My 24 year old son is in process of applying for LTC. The process in our town is to go down to PD and put name/phone number on sign up sheet and LO will call to make an appointment. So my son has put his name on sign up sheet at least 3 times over past few months, but LO hasn't called. I've heard the LO is a busy guy, handles all town lisc. issues, gun permits, taxi, etc... I'm concerned that if my son continues to put name on sign up sheet he'll be considered "pestering". I recently got my LTC A "Target and Hunting" earlier this summer from same town and LO w/o too much hassle. Could LO be concerned about 2 permit holders in 1 house? Maybe he's really busy, but we can't tell cause no return on phone calls. I bumped into a town officer early last week who is an acquaintance of ours and he said he'd expedite and talk to LO, no response yet from LO.

Color watertown a little redder. After all of that nonsense and seventy days passing between my application and issuance, after demonstrating that i am a small business owner transporting valuable equipment, irreplaceable media, and cash deposits in excess of $500, they ignored the explicitly stated "ALP" and issued me a target only. Not even target and sporting/hunting...

Thank you Watertown PD for showing me that I am a second class citizen undeserved of equal protection under the law.

Color watertown a little redder. After all of that nonsense and seventy days passing between my application and issuance, after demonstrating that i am a small business owner transporting valuable equipment, irreplaceable media, and cash deposits in excess of $500, they ignored the explicitly stated "ALP" and issued me a target only. Not even target and sporting/hunting...

Thank you Watertown PD for showing me that I am a second class citizen undeserved of equal protection under the law.

watertown wont ever issue ALP unfortunately

Apparently the "new" chief doesn't believe folks need to be allowed to carry without proving a need. It looks like we may be going from green to red.[angry]

So who's wrong? Old chief or new chief? Which one has the faulty logic? They can't both be right in regard to their policies. Take my area. Who's right? Plainville or Wrentham. Two similar communities. One red. One green. One of them is doing a disservice to their community.

It's proof that the law is ridiculous.

Since most people seem to agree that Watertown is the worst offender, I wish GOAL would take that clown on first. Embarrass the sh*t out of that tool, then get the rest of the MCOPA derelicts in line. GOAL stopped going after one at a time, I understand.
Too bad.

"An unjust law is no law at all" - St Augustine

Last edited:
It's time for a revolution. I keep hearing GOAL is working on some kind of class action. I'm willing to chip in. I can't afford to do it on my own, but this tyranny needs to be stopped before it's all over.[angry]

Seconded. The licensing detective basically explained I was free to take them to court but that they wouldn't reconsider the restrictions, then marched some legal jargon out to imply I had a snowflakes chance with a judge.

I had absolutely no problem getting a "A" LTC with no restrictions in Orange. I have some military background which probably didn't hurt. Also a good friend of mine had no problems either, with no military background whatsoever. Thank you Chief!

Ayer had about 300 licenses issued in 2007 out of 18 and over population of 5 to 6 thousand. If 10% of those licensees showed up at a board of selectmen meeting, maybe the BoS could bring the chief in line. It's been done before. It could happen a hell of a lot quicker than a court case.

News from an applicant in Walpole.

It took 4 months to get a Restricted A; 2 months passed between him filing the app and the PD deigning to take his prints (which it is required to take w/i 7 days) and grant him an interview.

This applicant owns his own business, is often paid in cash and works in areas where he has to pay someone to watch his truck and tools while he works (Dorchester, Mattapan, etc.).

The LO's lofty dismissal of basing a request on carrying cash as part of owning a business:

Everyone tells me that.

Don't forget the demand for multiple "letters of recommendation," etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom