Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody renewed in Belmont lately? Are they taking photographs, or using your RMV license photo?

I'm applying for my first renewal. Dropped off my application, got the MIRCS receipt in the mail a few days later. Unlike my first-time application for a license 5.5-ish years ago, there was no insert with the receipt indicating I was supposed to set up any kind of appointment.

Waited the 7 business days referenced on their website, then called and left a message on the LO's voice mail to make an appointment to come in. Haven't gotten a call back and it's been nearly a week, which has me a little worried.

I know a lot of departments are changing up their procedures to deal with COVID risk. This being my first renewal, I'm not sure what the "usual process" in Belmont entails, and I just want to make sure that my application isn't going to get rejected because I didn't do everything that was needed.

My Son that I moved here from Tx, is going to be going for his LTC from North Brookfield. Does anyone one here have any experience with the NBPD License process ? Paul.

I carried for years in many states which had no reciprocity with Mass on a Mass LTC and a NH non res
You had a Mass LTC correct and those states offer reciprocity with Mass.
It's other way around that's an issue, where Mass does not extend reciprocity to licensed carriers of other states.

Applied in Watertown. They will issue target and hunting for first time applicants and will issue unrestricted upon renewal. This is straight from the Sgt who called to interview me. I believe with the new Chief, this town is moving much more towards green than in the past.
Btw Total time from Application to pick up of LTC was 6 weeks. Which is impressive in my book.
When did you apply??

Middleton has gotten better. Wife just got her unrestricted LTC in a reasonable time frame.

Just want to update for anybody who lives in Quincy, I submit the application on Aug 31st, then get finger scan on 29th Sep. Yesterday, my LTC, class A, was delivered to mailbox 14th Dec. Totally 106 days of waiting.

Got my renewed Belmont LTC in the mail last week. "Restrictions: None", same as the old one. Got it 40 days after the receipt was issued. No appointment was required. Looks like they used my RMV driver license photo. Thumbs up for Belmont for making this process as painless and speedy as possible, especially during COVID.

What is the consensus now on when you should start the renewal process? I'm due in August 2021, live in Weymouth.

"The system" will start accepting renewal applications six months out, so that's when you should start thinking about it if you want to be absolutely safe, especially if you live in one of these places where the process usually takes a while. There are lots of new shooters these days so the PD is likely swamped. Some PDs have modified their process because of COVID so try to get details on the current process. Some towns are kinda bad about updating their websites, so if anything doesn't look right or is confusing, call or email the licensing officer.

Theoretically getting the receipt for your renewal application from the PD puts you in a grace period and keeps you legal while the license is in process but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on that if I could avoid it.

My household has a couple new license holders in Raynham Ma. Both were processed in about four weeks from interview date, very smooth process. One was done in Mar-Apr 2020 and the other was Sept-Oct 2020. I’m not sure if the master list is still being updated but I wanted to share those experiences.

I have a friend that will be renewing for the first time in Mattapoisett(They moved there). I know Mattapoisett is a green town but do they require a letter to the chief for new renewals. I know the website says renewal applicants that have a LTC previously issued by Mattapoisett do not need to a letter. However, it’s doesn’t specify if that’s the case for people that moved there.

Last edited:
I have a friend that will be renewing for the first time in Mattapoisett(They moved there). I know Mattapoisett is a green town but do they require a letter to the chief for new renewals. I know the website says renewal applicants that have a LTC previously issued by Mattapoisett do not need to a letter. However, it’s doesn’t specify if that’s the case for people that moved there.
I suggest calling the PD and asking them on a weekday.

Aren't you a cop or at least a cop apologist?
I was told this story by a longtime friend/activist:

A Boston cop who lived in a notorious South Shore town (policy was pretty much no unrestricted LTCs) was told by that licensing officer that he would only get a restricted LTC. Said officer explained that if that was the case, any officer from that town found carrying in Boston would be given a very hard time. Said LO backed down.

The take-away is that in a-hole towns, the thin blue line can be extremely thin . . . with no accommodation to those that aren't connected in that town.

Hindrance to getting Mass LTC...would it be beneficial to mention I have Utah LTC or will that make him wary.
This is one of the questions on the MA application. You need to enter when, where, and permit # for any other permits you’ve held/currently hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom