Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Right, between Manchester, NH. (not some other Massachusetts town or city)

And yet:

Note at the top of page 9:

"In accordance with § 95.01, The City of the Town of Watertown Massachusetts, Code of Ordinances,"

And on this:

on page 5:

"...the Town Council of the City of the Town of Watertown..."

and on page 7:

"The Town Council of the City known as the Town of Watertown..."

So, clearly Watertown government thinks it's the city of the town of Watertown.

There's quite a few "cities" that are called "town of xxxx" in Massachusetts, which are all "the city of the town of ..."

But really, my point is that if someone says, "Manchester" in the context of "Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town", if you're an idiot or being deliberately obtuse if you think they mean "Manchester, NH."
This is just too easy. [troll] [troll]
Milktree, you win.

MG2112

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Mailed my application, paperwork, USPS MO to licensing officer for WEYMOUTH. New Chief took over 01 April. Word on the street is that Chief Fuller
hands out full LTC, no restrictions. Lets hope so. Sucks living in a red town. I will post updates.

babygorilla

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mailed my application, paperwork, USPS MO to licensing officer for WEYMOUTH. New Chief took over 01 April. Word on the street is that Chief Fuller
hands out full LTC, no restrictions. Lets hope so. Sucks living in a red town. I will post updates.
Weymouth was one of the named towns sued over the arbitrary restrictions and denials. Their policies changed a bit and the lawsuit was dropped. They still ask for stupid things (3 letters) but they now issue with no restrictions.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was Issued a Class A restricted LTC in Boston back in 2015. I bought a house at the end of 2019 in Canton (oops) and moved mid March. I sent all the change of address forms in and apparently missed the renewal form in the envelope to Canton, it got misplaced in the move. My LTC expired last week (4/7) and the renewal went in the mail too late. With my LTC expired and living in a "black" town, will I have issues renewing now? Also, what do I do about my current firearms I have in the house?

I searched around but couldn't find any definitive answers, so sorry if this has been addressed before. Thanks

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I was Issued a Class A restricted LTC in Boston back in 2015. I bought a house at the end of 2019 in Canton (oops) and moved mid March. I sent all the change of address forms in and apparently missed the renewal form in the envelope to Canton, it got misplaced in the move. My LTC expired last week (4/7) and the renewal went in the mail too late. With my LTC expired and living in a "black" town, will I have issues renewing now? Also, what do I do about my current firearms I have in the house?

I searched around but couldn't find any definitive answers, so sorry if this has been addressed before. Thanks
First off, Canton isn't "black", they changed their policy a number of years ago. Secondly do nothing with your firearms. Per MGL, you still have a 90 day grace period but can't buy/sell anything. Best recommendation is lock them up and keep them that way until you get your new LTC. It might be next year before you get it since gun rights will only grudgingly be restored by the state after everything else is and the backlog will be horrendous at both the local and state levels.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have missed it. Many pages here. But when all of this is over looking to go down to the Woburn PD to start the process. Anyone have any experience with Woburn and giving out restricted/unrestricted?

07Mustang

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Middleton update. As soon as I saw they would accept renewals by mail I jumped on it. My current LTC expires 10/27/2020. restrictions none issued by a different town.

Dateline
March 20, 2020 mailed application with supporting documents via USPS
certified return receipt requested.
March 23, 2020 PD signed that they received application.
April 1, 2020 check to Town of Middleton clears my bank.
April 13, 2020 New LTC arrived in mail, photo from DMV, date of issue
10/27/2020, expiration date 10/27/2026. Restrictions none.

roman_s

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per MGL, you still have a 90 day grace period but can't buy/sell anything. Best recommendation is lock them up and keep them that way until you get your new LTC.
I had a similar case last year, but in Cambridge. Applied for renewal after the expiration of the LTC. Was told by CPD grace period applies only if the license is renewed prior to expiration.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I had a similar case last year, but in Cambridge. Applied for renewal after the expiration of the LTC. Was told by CPD grace period applies only if the license is renewed prior to expiration.
Wrong. Like most PDs they are clueless on MA gun laws . . . or they are malicious and intentionally lie to put forward their own agenda (unwashed shouldn't own/carry guns). BTW, Swatgig (lawyer) is the one who threw me the cite for this grace period.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone dealt with Clinton MA recently? Was issues a Class A with restriction from Ashalnd and moved to Clinton a couple years ago. I just renewed with Clinton and i am really hoping the restriction is lifted. 😔

crispnipz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone dealt with Clinton MA recently? Was issues a Class A with restriction from Ashalnd and moved to Clinton a couple years ago. I just renewed with Clinton and i am really hoping the restriction is lifted. 😔
From the Comm2A scorecard it looks like Clinton issues no restrictions on first-time nor on renewals. I would imagine that as long as you checked the box that says "Unrestricted" on the renewal application, you will probably get one without restrictions.

bandaid bandit

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Peabody actually mailed me the renewal receipt from MIRCS in a reasonable time frame of 8 days. Figure a day for it to go through the postal system to me, and the detective that handles licensing was off the day my renewal slip and check arrived. Now to see if I keep the unrestricted, or call comm2a for advice on which lawyer to pick......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone recommend renewing early in the town you know gives no restrictions prior to move? Not early by years but say 8-9 months?

souper

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peabody actually mailed me the renewal receipt from MIRCS in a reasonable time frame of 8 days. Figure a day for it to go through the postal system to me, and the detective that handles licensing was off the day my renewal slip and check arrived. Now to see if I keep the unrestricted, or call comm2a for advice on which lawyer to pick......
I renewed mine a couple years ago, no problem. I would be surprised if they went back to their old way, considering their history with Comm2A.

Top Bottom