1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moderator, Jun 29, 2006.

1. crispnipz

crispnipz

For 5-6 years your current PD will still "own" your new LTC so Woburn won't have a say but according to the scorecard, Woburn seems pretty restrictive these days, even for renewals.

2. Boston4567

Boston4567 NES Member

Part in bold isn't accurate. The issuing PD owns the license until renewal. If he got his LTC 5 1/2 years ago, issuing PD only owns it for another 6 months.

3. AFriendlyTransplant

AFriendlyTransplant

Still waiting on the arrival of my LTC from Fitchburg PD. It's been 2 months since my interview and 3 weeks since it's been approved which happened on the 23rd of October. Hoping it'll be here any day now, the FRB said as such. Doubt there's much I can do to expedite the activation/mailing process is there? This must be the part where people potentially get left waiting for weeks at a time e.g. me. No bueno. That being said, I leave for Thanksgiving in a few days and I will hopefully come back to it waiting for me in the mail. So I'm not going to worry about it for the next two weeks.

4. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

I don't know where people get their information. I've lived in Woburn forever and i'm on my third chief. I've never been, or known anyone, who has been jammed over their ltc. i'm sure there's the exception though.
    you just do a change of address, right? as far as I know nothing will change. if you roll into town with restrictions and want them changed, I would say no, ain't gonna happen until renewal. I don't know everyone in the city with a ltc. but I have never heard anyone getting restrictions removed mid stream. my experience is you need to wait until the next renewal and apply to have an unrestricted ltc then. but one could try! so, falcon, i'd say you have unrestricted now, you should get one again when the time comes. unless you come up on the radar, like 10 arrests between now and renewal time, then.....anyones guess.

a little greencobra story...I walked into the station in woburn one day to find out how to apply for a fully automatic license (green card). Maureen told me she didn't know, no one applied since she started there, she needed to talk to the chief and she'd call me back at home. I'm saying to myself "yeah, right...never hear from you again." I walked into the house and 10 minutes later Maureen calls with what I needed. new license so new application and a letter to the chief. and oh yeah she says, you're expected to have a c&r ffl. I brought the app and the letter down the next day. Maureen called the house before the end of the day to tell me I was all set, the chief approved the application. I was told to wait until I came in for my renewal, a couple of weeks away, she'd collect the 100 bucks for the green card then and both would be issued at the same time. which they were, so both have the same valid and expiration dates. at no time did I feel jammed up or swimming against the tide. everyone seemed to bend over backwards to help me and get it done.

anyone who has a question regarding the Woburn process, call Maureen Garrity at the station. you can find her number on the Woburn pd web site. usually she's busy and you'll get voice mail. she will call you back, most times within the hour. and Maureen is a civilian worker, not a cop. my experience is she knows and does her job.

kalash and MAJoe like this.
  5. crispnipz

crispnipz

I get my information from the LTC data released every year by Comm2A, which for 2017 shows 69% of new LTCs issued by Woburn were restricted.

6. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

well...on paper it certainly doesn't look good. i'm gonna have to wonder down and just ask.
    there are stats on that chart that i'm not understanding. like in Weston. 84% of the 45 new applicants were restricted while it looks like all 83 renewals were issued unrestricted. i wonder what percentage of those renewals were unrestricted to begin with and what percentage were restricted and changed. and if the change is automatic upon renewal or the applicant needs to request a change.

7. crispnipz

crispnipz

Different towns have different rules. My shitbox town, the one just south of yours, will almost always issue restricted the first time and lift restrictions (if requested) on renewal. To our immediate east, Malden never issues with restrictions. Boston seems to usually issue restricted and even seems to maintain the restriction upon renewal in many cases. Somerville will usually issue restricted if it's your first LTC and you've been a resident for less than a year, but will usually lift the restriction after a year. Several other towns follow a similar practice.

Gould v. Morgan, if SCOTUS takes it, will put this nonsense to bed. The chief isn't my daddy, he isn't Ben Franklin. It's my gun, I should be able to carry it.

kalash likes this.
  8. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

And that's the biggest problem, besides the license itself, it changes from town to town. It should be clear and state wide. Everyone should be able to read the law and know what they will get before ever applying. If you're going to have a licensing system, which is a separate issue, at least make it fair.

crispnipz likes this.
  9. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

10. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

mothybee, CAR and TJL like this.
  11. Dench

Dench

I've had a 1 year old restricted license voided and a new one given to me unrestricted when I moved. It's not hard provided the people who handle it A: know what they are doing and B: arent losers.

Admin likes this.
  12. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

Well that is the issue. The percentage of what you just described is lower than Liz Warren's native American blood.

MuzzleDiscipline likes this.
  13. AFriendlyTransplant

AFriendlyTransplant

Arrived back from Thanksgiving break today to find no LTC in the mail. Been a full month since it was approved, and more than 60 days since the initial appointment. At this point I know I'll get the same answer from the FRB saying it's been approved. Would it do me any good to call the detective or whoever at the station about its status? Or would they sooner tell me to kick rocks? Yeesh, beginning to get fed up. I can feel my skills wasting away by the day.

14. Boston4567

Boston4567 NES Member

Have you not asked the local PD? It's probably sitting at the station waiting to be picked up.

15. AFriendlyTransplant

AFriendlyTransplant

Called the FRB this morning, they said it's active. I'll head over to the PD to be sure they haven't bamboozled me and need me to pick it up haha. But if I just have to wait for it to come in the mail that's fine too since I know it's up and running. Disregard my complaints now, thanks!

16. Boston4567

Boston4567 NES Member

Most PDs don't mail them. They sit on someone's desk at the station till they find the time to call you to pick it up.

17. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Same here.

I can go make the same thing by not providing numbers and try to sell it as truth. Plus, the Comm2A analysis gives a better idea of just "how red/green" a town is. simple red/green list lends it too much personal bias by the person who makes the list. COmm2A data is straight from the state and sorted for us by Comm2A.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Len-2A Training likes this.
  18. AFriendlyTransplant

AFriendlyTransplant

I can finally stop complaining. Took 79 days from interview to being in my hand. No restrictions either. Definitely not what I'm used to, but I'm glad it's finally here. So in summary for anyone who sees this post: Fitchburg, 79 days from start to finish, No Restrictions. Thanks all.

19. buketduder

buketduder NES Member

I have to say i heard so many horror stories about getting a LTC in Mass I was expecting the worst when I moved here. My experience was fine though..

Northampton...22 days. said they only issue for ALP. .no questions... friendly

20. kalash

kalash

Most municipalities won't dick you around and will issue unrestricted. There's only a few that give you crap. Honestly, I think I have more of a problem with MA having all sorts of restrictions on what I can buy (AWB, mag cap limits, EOPS, etc) than our licensing.

Boston4567 likes this.
  21. old goat

old goat

Florida has a license officer who dispatches for North Adams, where you meet him. We have no police department we're so small. Very helpful gentleman when wife and I transferred and renewed our ALPs. Many hunters here. I'd call it definitely green.

kalash likes this.
  22. taino.pr

taino.pr

I just got my card in the mail.will pick up license monday.im in springfield wich is red.im a 40 yr old small business owner who lives and works mostly local.any chance ill get unrestricted?a restricted license would be of no practical use whatsoever.

23. Sdexcalibur

Sdexcalibur

Newbedford = green, doesn’t require a letter to the Chief anymore. All licenses are “no restriction” ALP now.

MAJoe likes this.
  24. Sdexcalibur

Sdexcalibur

About how long should I wait after the local police sept process before I call to check on the status?

25. Bearcatbirddog

Bearcatbirddog Dealer NES Member

In a situation where a PD asks for a written, signed statement on why you want a LTC unrestricted and they say for all lawful purposes is not an acceptable answer and you do not have a work related reason what have people been going with these days? I am trying to assist a friend on his first time LtC in a town within 128 belt (not Boston, Brookline) and part of the application process requires such written statement. I’m just trying to help him so he doesn’t settle for an sports/target restriction cause based on the comm2a spreadsheet the town does appear to have a reputation for issuing restricted LtCs. Thanks - Dave

26. MuzzleDiscipline

MuzzleDiscipline NES Life Member NES Member

Search the site with the jurisdiction name and likely you will find some specific information. There is really no reason not to directly ask the licensing officer what the chief needs to see to issue unrestricted.

27. milktree

milktree NES Member

something like this (but write it yourself):

"For personal protection inside and outside the home, hunting, organized competition, recreational shooting, and collecting."

Elaborate on the above as appropriate, but don't talk about "because crime", that can make you look paranoid. Don't lie about anything. (duh.)

Are they expecting a two page paper, or just some reasons?

28. Bearcatbirddog

Bearcatbirddog Dealer NES Member

Thanks guys, I did a search thru this thread and saw the town mentioned but nothing real specific to the topic of the reasons on a written statement. considering the comm2a scorecard for the town in question (Winchester) it doesn’t necessarily look great so I figured I’d throw it out there and see if anyone has any specific experience.

29. Todd_M_S

Todd_M_S

Monroe, MA = Green, Green, Green
    No references, no letters, no reasons why.....
    My local approving authority told me everyone in town gets LTC-A Unrestricted, period. And he wont bother issuing an FID unless your under 21.
    As of 2 years ago he was still typing them out on the old paper forms, and laminated them with clear contact paper (cut with scissors) while you wait.

Cipher likes this.
  30. kalash

kalash

I thought Monroe apps had to go through North Adams or something?