• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockland is very green.Called for my appointment next day got a call back my appointment was 3 days away.Just finished my paperwork Officer told me expect a phonecall in 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For those of you claiming your town is green right after applying, please check back in after you actually get your license to clarify if you got unrestricted. An easy application and friendly officer is not the same as being green.

If I move into the state with a bunch of guns and apply within a couple weeks of arrival, what happens if they drag out the licensing process for months? Do I become an instant felon or am I protected by virtue of having applied?

If I move into the state with a bunch of guns and apply within a couple weeks of arrival, what happens if they drag out the licensing process for months? Do I become an instant felon or am I protected by virtue of having applied?

Yes.

(I kid. LenS or Rob Boudrie will probably be along to give an accurate answer shortly. Try searching, too. This has been covered numerous times)

Here is another question. I've read a lot about the way chiefs sometimes treat first-time applicants differently and are more likely to put restrictions on them. Does this apply as much if you are coming into Massachusetts with a concealed carry license from the state you just left? I can provide a licensing history in Michigan, Florida and Maine. I also have certificates of completion for the Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight, the Florida concealed carry course, the Michigan concealed carry course and I am an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and Pistol Instructor. I would assume that helps? Also, are any of those training credentials good or do I still need to take the basic pistol class yet again in Mass?

Here is another question. I've read a lot about the way chiefs sometimes treat first-time applicants differently and are more likely to put restrictions on them. Does this apply as much if you are coming into Massachusetts with a concealed carry license from the state you just left? I can provide a licensing history in Michigan, Florida and Maine. I also have certificates of completion for the Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight, the Florida concealed carry course, the Michigan concealed carry course and I am an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and Pistol Instructor. I would assume that helps? Also, are any of those training credentials good or do I still need to take the basic pistol class yet again in Mass?

That will depend on the town. Some, i.e Brookline, won't care...you'll be restricted. Others always issue no restrictions. Others will be somewhere in between, looking at you and your circumstances.

I am limiting my housing search to towns that are listed as green to improve my odds. Right now, I'm looking at Arlington, Melrose, Wakefield, Wilmington, North Reading, Lynnfield, Swampscott and Marblehead. I still need my wife to give me CPR occassionally when I look at the cost of housing. I cannot believe I am seriously considering spending $3000+ on rent (gasp, choke). I found a possible rental in Stoneham that is very close to the Melrose commuter rail and only a few miles from the Oak Grove T station. The location is fantastic and the house is nice, I just got a little concerned when I saw that the chief wants a letter justifying my application.

I am limiting my housing search to towns that are listed as green to improve my odds. Right now, I'm looking at Arlington, Melrose, Wakefield, Wilmington, North Reading, Lynnfield, Swampscott and Marblehead. I still need my wife to give me CPR occassionally when I look at the cost of housing. I cannot believe I am seriously considering spending $3000+ on rent (gasp, choke). I found a possible rental in Stoneham that is very close to the Melrose commuter rail and only a few miles from the Oak Grove T station. The location is fantastic and the house is nice, I just got a little concerned when I saw that the chief wants a letter justifying my application.

The letter per se is not that relevant - most MA towns require it.

It all depends on the town policy towards its residents - your licensing history and training will be completely irrelevant in Waltham, for example (and yes, I know you are not looking at Waltham, but that's where I learned my lesson in the value of experience and training).

Hopefully all the info on NES will help you choose a town that treats its residents with some respect - good luck, you'll need it.

Being a NRA Instructor in many towns that usually restrict a LTC will usually result in no restrictions, assuming that you make that part of your discussion/letter.

MGL is very unforgiving, there is no exception for MIL or anyone else moving into MA. You must take a course approved by MSP and provide that credential in order to get your first LTC in MA.

For those of you claiming your town is green right after applying, please check back in after you actually get your license to clarify if you got unrestricted. An easy application and friendly officer is not the same as being green.

So many forget this point...

I have an LTC ALP from a green town that comes up for renewal in November of 2015. I have since moved to a BLACK town. before I moved I called and spoke to the licensing officer and he stated As long as you haven't done anything that would change it you should maintain your status. in anticipation of this being an issue I am looking for suggestions. If it matters I moved to Canton Ma.

As regards to my post earlier believe Rob Boudrie also stated as far as Rockland goes all LTC A's are given with no restriction and only 5% are given class B.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have an LTC ALP from a green town that comes up for renewal in November of 2015. I have since moved to a BLACK town. before I moved I called and spoke to the licensing officer and he stated As long as you haven't done anything that would change it you should maintain your status. in anticipation of this being an issue I am looking for suggestions. If it matters I moved to Canton Ma.
You should be good to go in Canton if nothing has changed. The " training wheels" mentality only exists for first time applicants.

Being a NRA Instructor in many towns that usually restrict a LTC will usually result in no restrictions, assuming that you make that part of your discussion/letter.

MGL is very unforgiving, there is no exception for MIL or anyone else moving into MA. You must take a course approved by MSP and provide that credential in order to get your first LTC in MA.

Bold part not applicable to Waltham...

Canton started me off with a B for a year, then an A w/ restrictions. Coming up on renewal next year, but hopefully I won't be a resident of this town to much longer.

As a mentioned a few months back, I renewed in Canton in December. They informed me the new "policy" was all permits "no restrictions" and indeed, my new permit came restriction free. Previously, for at least 30 years, the policy was all licenses were restricted.

Now I've lobbied the Police Chief and the Canton Selectmen for 30 years on the absurdity and liability risks over the restriction policies only to be consistently ignored or dismissed. They always acted like no one else saw it as a problem. I have no idea why they have changed their policy. Any Cantonites have any info why they did?

Just had 2 students get their LTCs 4 weeks and 2 days from date off application in Lowell both restricted. The licensing officer told them outright that only people who carry large amounts of money get unrestricted LTCs in Lowell.

Mike

Just had 2 students get their LTCs 4 weeks and 2 days from date off application in Lowell both restricted. The licensing officer told them outright that only people who carry large amounts of money get unrestricted LTCs in Lowell.

Mike

The Lowell COP is a douchebag. He was promoted from within and that department does not believe lowly citizens should be carrying guns. Good thing they only have the ability to restrict the people who live in their town and not everyone who comes into it. Before I say more I will end here.

BTW, I never go to Lowell without carrying in your scum bag city!

Mike

I'm one of those students and let me just correct you a little, they said business owners who carry large sums of cash not just anyone carrying lots of cash. The other group that are allowed unrestricted according to the officer is law enforcement officers. Everyone else gets restricted.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I wanted to give an update for the town of North Reading.

My brother applied for his class A. It took him almost two months to meet with the licencing officer. Once he got his appointment the officer informed him that the new chief (as of two years ago I believe) does not issue any unrestricted class A's. He can get a class A for target and hunting only. The licencing officer did not necessarily agree with the chief on this matter but hes rejecting every unrestricted.

Thanks

Hello All,

I wanted to give an update for the town of North Reading.

My brother applied for his class A. It took him almost two months to meet with the licencing officer. Once he got his appointment the officer informed him that the new chief (as of two years ago I believe) does not issue any unrestricted class A's. He can get a class A for target and hunting only. The licencing officer did not necessarily agree with the chief on this matter but hes rejecting every unrestricted.

Thanks

Wow. Thanks for the update. That was one of the towns I was considering moving to.

Does anyone know Bridgewater's current status? Are they still Black? I am looking to buy a house soon and move out of my red town and into a town that will give me an unrestricted license come renewal time (I have had my LTC for about two and a half years now). I certainly do not want to renew and get myself downgraded to a class B.

What about Raynham? Anyone know how they are with LTCs?

Thanks for any info!

Does anyone know Bridgewater's current status? Are they still Black? I am looking to buy a house soon and move out of my red town and into a town that will give me an unrestricted license come renewal time (I have had my LTC for about two and a half years now). I certainly do not want to renew and get myself downgraded to a class B.

Thanks for any info!

I know a few people I'm raynham that had no problem. How about east bridgewater there green?

Thanks for any info!

Bridgewater is fine. They're issuing unrestricted LTCs these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom