Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

I love it when someone says they get something "free" from the government, tells me they don't understand how it works.
No doubt the numbers work for you, different people place different values on government abuse, because we are talking abuse, not following the law. The law says no training requirement. The abuse is requiring that and having other additional conditions.
Who said anything about the government? My employer pays for the education. I love it when someone who abandons their family for a gun assumes, thats just stupidity.

Now I understand why some authorities want a mental health evaluation and why you had to move to own a gun.

Who said anything about the government? My employer pays for the education. I love it when someone who abandons their family for a gun assumes, thats just stupidity.

Now I understand why some authorities want a mental health evaluation and why you had to move to own a gun.
Abandon is fighting words. I'm not responsible for my cousins, uncles, and aunt, my kids are all grown up and can take care of themselves, I made sure of it. And my ex? She made her decision a long time ago. No one was abandoned.

So you've got a pretty good deal with your employer, good for you, most don't get that. You've got an easy life and a lot to lose if you take a stand, I can see why you'd prefer to protect that. Good luck and I hope the next round of laws in MA isn't too bad for you.

Abandon is fighting words. I'm not responsible for my cousins, uncles, and aunt, my kids are all grown up and can take care of themselves, I made sure of it. And my ex? She made her decision a long time ago. No one was abandoned.

So you've got a pretty good deal with your employer, good for you, most don't get that. You've got an easy life and a lot to lose if you take a stand, I can see why you'd prefer to protect that. Good luck and I hope the next round of laws in MA isn't too bad for you.
Best of luck.

here is another for you.
Should the applicant be licensed in Boston and move to another town before the LTC expires.. the person will need to notify Boston PD, the new location’s PD and the CHSB all by certified mail. When the LTC expires and the person renews in the new city/town.. he will have to submit a safety certificate to that PD also as they wont have one on file. Should the original certificate be over 5 years old, a new certificate will be required, thus another course. If the LTC holder doesn’t move, the original certificate on file will remain in effect.

i was licensed at 18 with a “lifetime” FID, I got my LTC before the safety certificates were required.. when I renewed, Boston made me get a certificate anyway.. I did. When I moved to the north shore, new certificate. Now that I expired 9 years ago and Im now going to start over in another town.. guess what I need... a new certificate. I was licensed in Mass, NH, Maine and FLA and I was also a certified instructor.. none of it matters that I was authorized to teach the class, Im now a student again.

Dude. Do you know that there's a lot of people here who know how this works already? Do you know you're full of shit?

You started off with some nonsense about how only a pre '98 LTC was sufficient to avoid a safety class now for an LTC, but then tried to pretend that's not what you said when actual law was cited.

There is no statutory requirement to submit even a copy of your safety cert when renewing an LTC or FID. None. Lots of people move to different towns and never have to submit a safety cert when renewing in the new town. Like me. I didn't have to.

There's also no statutory requirement that a safety course be less than five years old. A safety certificate is good forever by Mass. law. I know this because I waited a loooong time between when I took my safety class and actually applying, (I know... LAME LAME LAME!) but nobody even blinked at my eight year old certificate for a new LTC application.

I don't know where you're getting your information, but you should probably double and triple check that you actually understand what you're talking about, and that it's actually true, before flapping your fingers on The Internet.

The fact that YOU had some shitty experiences with shitty towns is absolutely not because of the law, it's is just anecdotal about YOU and the towns YOU live in.

Well Im not the only one who has had the problem.

Now, you can go f*** off. Don't bother replying, Im done with you.
That thread doesn't support your argument. Anecdotally and within law they do not. However, in Massholia the chief will try to rape you dry in some towns, and do what he likes in his fiefdom until someone sues.....

Well Im not the only one who has had the problem.

Now, you can go f*** off. Don't bother replying, Im done with you.

If only you had a ball and glove to take home.

Do you know what “statute” means? (It means “law”)

Do you understand that cops don’t always obey the law?

The link you provided supports what I said: by law, (statute) safety certificates do not expire.

There was never any doubt that lots of PDs require shit beyond what they’re legally allowed or required to. I honestly don’t understand why you keep conflating the two.

5m2s52.jpg

CHELMSFORD: Thirty-five days between application and receipt. That's pretty damn fast.
Whenever I hear about a fast LTC issue time the first thing I think is "who do you know".
I wasn't always cynical, they made me cynical.

here is another for you.
Should the applicant be licensed in Boston and move to another town before the LTC expires.. the person will need to notify Boston PD, the new location’s PD and the CHSB all by certified mail. When the LTC expires and the person renews in the new city/town.. he will have to submit a safety certificate to that PD also as they wont have one on file. Should the original certificate be over 5 years old, a new certificate will be required, thus another course. If the LTC holder doesn’t move, the original certificate on file will remain in effect.
Dude, this is just not true. I have never heard of anyone having to retake a safety course when they move. I have never heard of anyone having to do anything else other than the change of address form. I'm sure some police cheifs will be dicks and require some extra work, but definitely the minority.

Yea, whatever. Where I sit now, My kids get free college to a top 10 college... Im not going to give that up so I can move to NH, Id rather take a 100.00 class if I move again. 80,000 per year, per kid or 100.00 IF I move again... Ill pay the sales tax and the 100.00. Does NH charge you tax on your tin foil hat?

Can we not fill the thread with MA vs (insert less retarded state here) stuff? There's plenty of other places for that. You can even start an OT thread about it if you guys want. Jusr trying to keep the intel / noise ratio good here.

Admittedly this is partly my fault for not "servicing" the thread enough, ive got a reminder to do some updates and cleaning soon.

Thank Wu

Sad times when "barely within the law" (40 days) is considered really great.

I would be shocked if any more than about, 50% of the 351 cities and towns are issuing new applicant LTCs within 40 days. And I bet most of that portion are smaller towns. Covid BS didn't help but they can't keep leaning on that excuse.... of course at one point during all this, EOPS was definitely dragging ass, too.

Sent in my application June 2020 and received my unrestricted LTC in Dec 2020. To be fair the woman who is in charge of firearm permits only worked 2 4hr days a week during the pandemic. They were so behind that they didn't even ask for a letter of recommendation, didn't have to meet with the chief, and they took the picture that's on my drivers license and put that on my LTC id card

Sent in my application June 2020 and received my unrestricted LTC in Dec 2020. To be fair the woman who is in charge of firearm permits only worked 2 4hr days a week during the pandemic. They were so behind that they didn't even ask for a letter of recommendation, didn't have to meet with the chief, and they took the picture that's on my drivers license and put that on my LTC id card
Can you share what town this is?

Monson is still Green. Permits right now are taking a little longer to come in, but they are fairly easy going about applying, and they only issue unrestricted LTC's that I know of. When I renewed it took 30ish days to get my LTC in. My neighbor's kid just applied for his first time a couple months back it took about 60 days to get his license in. Right now the wait list for an appointment is a couple weeks long, but nothing crazy and it's due to covid, it's normally only a week or so out and the licensing officer is pretty easy going and always responds to emails.

You do realize that those things they didn't have time for are not required under the law and are just added by the chief to make people's life more difficult. How nice that they are so busy they don't have time to add infringements.

You do realize that those things they didn't have time for are not required under the law and are just added by the chief to make people's life more difficult. How nice that they are so busy they don't have time to add infringements.
Yeah...I hear ya.

Cambridge: Applied 4/2020, received restricted LTC November 2020. ~210 days. First time applicant, squeaky-clean record, shooting for a decade + but not an instructor, no prior military, etc.

Dropped off renewal at Andover today. Will report back. I’ve always had good experiences with them over there.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, moved from Weymouth to Attleboro. Sent papers to all 3 addresses end of June and have not heard back yet. Have LTCA from Weymouth

Hey Guys, moved from Weymouth to Attleboro. Sent papers to all 3 addresses end of June and have not heard back yet. Have LTCA from Weymouth
You won't hear back from anyone. Go into state portal and do a validation. Mass Gun Transaction Portal When you do the validation, it will show what address is in the system for you. That is it.

None of this matters for any of your activities. You did your notification by certified letter and have your receipts, right? When you buy from a FFL you will put your current address and supply your LTC (with old address) and your drivers license (with the correct address). You are supposed to write your new address on the back of your drivers license. Done. Over.

It was a long time ago when I had a MA ltc and moved. No one ever got back to me, I don't think they do.

Back
Top Bottom