Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

Brookline, MA
Sporting / Employment 6 Yrs ago. I had an extensive justification and impeccable application. Was told by several around Boston area that I was “lucky” to get the sporting and employment.
Just renewed: Unrestricted. Again, impeccable application package.
Was told by PD that the number of LTCs in Brookline are way up. I don’t recall the number quoted but it was well above data in link/PDF. Seems consistent with the anecdotal stories I heard about liberals buying guns.
Sgt Chris Malinn, who runs the program for the chief, was professional and easy to work with. He didn’t make the policy, but implemented it efficiently. YMMV.
My sense is that Brookline has moved from deep dark red to darkish red. Green is too much to hope for and probably requires an alternate universe. Maybe yellow someday? Its a dream I like to have.

I'm curious to know if Brookline still does "downgrade after move in", or still tries to convince the old LO to downgrade. (For people without the dog and pony show on every app) Watertown used to do both but I think even they dropped that game. not a lot of data points for this as it's difficult to find gun owners who intentionally moved into one of the top 3 worst issuing authorities in the state.

Newton, MA.

Two first time applications processed in less than 40 days in the middle of covidiocy. Two letters of reference required that PD never bothered to call and verify. T&H restriction that supposedly can be lifted after one year on licensee's request or automatically(?) on renewal. 5 minute interview over the phone.

Two unrestricted licenses renewed in less than 40 days, easy peasy.

I came here to check on Plymouth, because I'll be moving there this year, but seeing as how it's not yet listed, Eastham is green. I got T&H back in like 2012 when I first applied, but after they got a new chief, I called asking for restrictions to be removed and they promptly did so. Renewed in 2018 with no problems, and only a couple weeks wait time. The wife applied for her first LTC in 2016 and, again, with very short lead time, no letters, and a joke of an "interview", was given an unrestricted license. I'd say that's green as green can get.

Newton, MA.

Two first time applications processed in less than 40 days in the middle of covidiocy. Two letters of reference required that PD never bothered to call and verify. T&H restriction that supposedly can be lifted after one year on licensee's request or automatically(?) on renewal. 5 minute interview over the phone.

Two unrestricted licenses renewed in less than 40 days, easy peasy.
Any issues with already licensed folks moving in from Boston? I already have T&H restriction. Just don’t want an issue with my Glock 19

Any issues with already licensed folks moving in from Boston? I already have T&H restriction. Just don’t want an issue with my Glock 19
You should be fine. The only way you’d have an issue is if they flat out denied you for some reason. Any LTC, regardless of restrictions, will let you keep a handgun in the home.

Not sure what issue you're concerned about. I can't envision a Newton PD raid to confiscate your Glock if your LTC is still active.

I got my unrestricted ltc in Hamilton last March, and it was a breeze. The licensing officer was great and didn’t require any letters or anything. I did have an FID at one point which was expired, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Somerset is still green, haven't heard anything to the contrary. My wife applied when I renewed, I got called in first for the renewal and in conversation I mentioned that my wife had applied and the LO called called her right then and there and told her to come on down.

Last edited:
East Bridgewater is green.

Got my LTC when I was 21 with zero issues. Unrestricted, quick turnaround and licensing officer made the process as quick as possible. They call as soon as it comes in and you pick it up at the front desk. Wife also got her unrestricted with no hassle. I’ve renewed a couple times now as has the wife with no issues. No references or letters required.

Melrose, Oct 2020 - took 44 days from application to LTC in hand. Smooth process. Don't remember if reference letters were *required*, but gave 2 anyways. Don't think PD called them. I'd call green easily.

Melrose, Oct 2020 - took 44 days from application to LTC in hand. Smooth process. Don't remember if reference letters were *required*, but gave 2 anyways. Don't think PD called them. I'd call green easily.
Based, Melrose is based. Excited to renew here.

Woburn is not great. Probably Red. Maybe Yellow depending on how you rank them. This is from summer 2020.

General - Told me they never give unrestricted to first time issuance. Said they would give me the least restrictive they allow for first timers, "Sporting". Said I could apply for unrestricted on my renewal.

Administrative - They were responsive, but wait time was about a month to get an appointment.

Suitability - They require reference letters which kinda sucked but I don't think is that uncommon. What is uncommon is they give you a multiple choice exam based on the Massachusetts gun laws. And the exam was actually somewhat difficult because it was a lot of obscure things that no one would have memorized unless you studied (To which court do you send your appeal of denial of firearms license, how many days do you have to do X, Y, Z, etc).

Despite their stupid test and rule about restrictions, one good thing I can say is that they were all polite and respectful.
I have family in Woburn, he was given LTC A Hunting and Target on first LTC, upon renewal he was issued unrestricted.

I'm curious to know if Brookline still does "downgrade after move in", or still tries to convince the old LO to downgrade. (For people without the dog and pony show on every app) Watertown used to do both but I think even they dropped that game. not a lot of data points for this as it's difficult to find gun owners who intentionally moved into one of the top 3 worst issuing authorities in the state.
Had a friend get a lawyer and sued brookline for unrestricted, he won and got ALP

Had a friend get a lawyer and sued brookline for unrestricted, he won and got ALP
That's new, most people aren't successful, of course we'll never hear what strategy was used unless Brookline made some large error that set themselves up to fail in court.

Dighton: I’d be willing to say bright green. LO’s are easy to get ahold of and very accommodating. Super friendly and pro 2A. There are a few green licenses and one of the guys has encouraged me to get a C&R license.

Medford was 30 days from application dropoff to LTC in hand for my renewal.
Nice!! I lived in Malden previously, I applied for hunting/target as I thought it would be the easiest to get... “we don’t issue hunting and target, Ill give you an unrestricted one, too many people get in trouble with hunting and Target.”

that was the best one next to Salisbury the SGT said “why do you want an FID card, its not high capacity, its the same background check..fill this out again and check LTC, on the last check unrestricted and ALP for the reason”. Lol

That's new, most people aren't successful, of course we'll never hear what strategy was used unless Brookline made some large error that set themselves up to fail in court.
He has lived in the same house for 60 years, his mother and grandmother also lived in the town, no criminal history, got his FID as soon as he was of age and his restricted LTC, renewal everytime was restricted until a few years ago when he hired a lawyer. He has another house he could have used as a primary address and been issued unrestricted but he is just so honest, he did it the right way and it worked in his favor, minus a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom