• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide Killed by Griz x2

""I tried to throw the gun to Mark, it didn't make it to him, landed on the ground. Somehow, the grizzly let me go and charged Mark again and that's when I made the decision to just run for my life," Chubon said."

I guess that validates the "run faster" argument.

His story doesn’t add up, the first version I read it was only one bear attacking, now it’s both and the bear knocked the gun out of his hand so he retrieved it and then decided to throw it to the guide? I know rational thought exits when you have two grizzly’s coming at you but there are just a lot of things that don’t make sense.

I think a 9mm would have only angered the bears further— but I certainly would have tried anyway.

Black bears are one thing. Grizzlies and browns. Rifles, shotguns or pistols in 460 smith preferred. Even though I’d need wrist surgery afterwards for the pistol.

Black bears are one thing. Grizzlies and browns. Rifles, shotguns or pistols in 460 smith preferred. Even though I’d need wrist surgery afterwards for the pistol.
If you carry a handgun be sure file off the front sight. That way it won't hurt as bad when the grizzly shoves the gun up your ass. Jack.

According to son Mark in Homer AK, the locals carry nothing smaller than .338 win mag or .375 h&h. Jack.

I hear the same. A guy I know who works oilfields and occasionally hunts brown bears uses a .338 Win Mag. Says that guides prefer bolt guns and that the Marlin 'Guide Gun' is a cool gun but not what AK guides use.

Regarding handguns- Dad used to fish for salmon and hunt for caribou and elk in AK. He and his friends didn't need a guide but the bush pilot service required them to carry .44 mag or bigger back up at all times.

Back
Top Bottom