Guess what you shouldn’t have in your carry on luggage?

My friend Jim, from Salt Lake, called me Saturday from Dallas, he was there doing a job. He was going to a Dallas gun show, asked me if I need anything. Asked him to see if he could find rosewood grips for my S&W 629, round butt, that would make it into a square butt. He found them, reasonable price, under $50. He also bought, for himself, a magazine for his 9mm Daewoo.

Sunday he called to say” Guess what you shouldn’t have in your carry on luggage?
Grips and a magazine?
Right!!
Two airport security and three local police officers detained him two hours, missed his flight, and grilled him until they were satisfied it was an innocent mistake. Jim flies all the time, but was flying stand by so he didn’t want to check his luggage, it case it went to Salt Lake and he didn’t. Has happened in the past.

If he had checked them through, no problem, but even though they were not “major ‘components, with the NCAA alert he was cooked.

mark056 said:
Paranoia for all the wrong reasons. The TSA strikes again !

i agree with you about the TSA,not only are they paranoid,but lazy too.i work at the manchester airport (baggage handler)and i get to see how picky they are.and they have the hardest time putting the baggage on the conveyer belts(they just place it on the floor next to it)

i should question one of them tomorrow about this subject and to why they panic when none-major parts like your friend had.

(i'm sure then they'll get paranoid about me [rolleyes])

So the carry-on goes through the Xray machine and the operator sees gun parts, grips and a mag. Are you saying that it should have been ignored?
Looks to me that the TSA was doing their job.

What about the lazy xray operator that missed the parts that the other 2 or 3 passengers were carrying that completed the gun?

JonJ said:
So the carry-on goes through the Xray machine and the operator sees gun parts, grips and a mag. Are you saying that it should have been ignored?

Grips and a magazine. Sounds like they should have searched the bag and said "well, no gun." Have a nice flight.

What did they think he was going to do - throw the grips at someone?[rolleyes]

JonJ said:

While I agree with you Jon. I think that keeping him there and grilling him for two hours is a bit excessive. I don't think that it needed to be two TSAs and Three LEOs. I think that they could have spoke to him, I'm guessing that he's a MA resident. Showed him his LTC and they would have figured that he's just a gun owner and they had parts for a pistol at home.

After 30 min or so rummaging through a duffel bag, you would have seen that he had no other parts to complete a gun.

So I think that it's good that they stopped him and question him...it sounds more like they were board and this was a way to create some excitement.

Maybe I'm thinking of this the wrong way. But it just seems like a bit much.

Examining the LTC was not enough. That guy was run every which way through every computer database there was and was asked numerous questions over and over again. I'm sure that they don't have access to MA LTC records so they had to find the phone number and make the call to verify that. 2 hours sounds excessive but I'd be inclined to believe that it may have been less than that.

Simple moral of the story, don't try and take "things" we all know will raise suspicion. Especially when it's just been reported in every media outlet in the nation that airport security failed to find bomb making components.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1735314

Jon,

I think you have made a valid point, but at the same time have expressed a world view that I call "cop-think" which is react to anything slghtly out of the ordinary without common sense.

First, to the best of my knowledge magazines and grips are not banned carry-on items, it I am wrong about this, then please correct me.

Second, there were no other indicators that there were any other firearms components on the subject's person or carry-on baggage.

Third, I agree that once the person and the carry-on luggage were examined a little more closely, the person should have been allowed to go on his way.

Having a LTC is totally irrelevant since one does not need a LTC to posess those items.

Writing to you today from the world capital of "Cop-Think", the Massachusetts State Police General Headquarters...

Mark aka Liberal Pussy and Sheeple

Last edited:
mark056 said:
Jon,

I think you have made a valid point, but at the same time have expressed a world view that I call "cop-think" which is react to anything slightly out of the ordinary without common sense.
Sorry Mark. It's not "cop-think". I can think for myself, thank you. It is a matter of common sense. We (separating myself from the thin blue line) as gun owners have to be more aware. We know the world we live in.
If someone wants to "test" the TSA they should be ready to subject themselves to serious scrutiny.

mark056 said:
First, to the best of my knowledge magazines and grips are not banned carry-on items, it I am wrong about this, then please correct me.
No one has said that the items in question were banned. The mere presence of them raised a suspicion.
Last time I checked electronic parts were not banned items, if I'm wrong correct me on this but would I go to U-Do-It Electronics buy some components, wire, batteries and tape and put them in my carry-on before I fly down to Disney? No, that would be stupid.

mark056 said:
Second, there were no other indicators that there were any other firearms components on the subject's person or carry-on baggage.
Correct. But I'm willing to bet that the TSA checked to make sure the person didn't have any checked baggage and even investigated if he was traveling with anyone else. Which may have included checking surveillance tapes to see if he was associated with anyone. As I stated in another post, an associate(s) could have had the other "parts".

mark056 said:
Third, I agree that once the person and the carry-on luggage was examined a little more closely, the person should have been allowed to go on his way.
See above and he was allowed to go on his way.

mark056 said:
Having a LTC is totally irrelevant since one does not need a LTC to posess those items.
See above. Addressed in the comments about what isn't banned in carry-ons.

mark056 said:
Writing to you today from the world capital of "Cop-Think", the Massachusetts State Police General Headquarters...
Have you thought about getting another job where you wouldn't have to worry about secret microphones and hidden cameras?

mark056 said:
Mark aka Liberal Pussy and Sheeple
Do you think you could change that signature? It doesn't make you look like a Liberal Pussy or Sheeple. Brother to Brother, it makes you look like a 2 year old cry baby.

Jon,

You came up with some very cogent reasons and more than adequately rebutted my points.

Believe me, if I could exit from my current endeavors with grace and with a job that was commensurate in salary with what I make now, I'd be outta here in a New York minute (maybe even faster). The truth is, the old Army Pension won't quite cut it in Mass, so I have to work....but be advised that I do try to keep my options open. Like other folks who are compelled to live in Massachusetts, my choices are limited at this time.

Brother to brother, I appreciate your comment and concern. Actually I prefer to be thought of as a whiner rather than a crybaby. There are far too many, who react emotionally rather than come up with any real solutions, much less common sense. It rather amuses me that some would consider me a liberal pussy or a sheeple because I don't agree with the adminstrations policy on the war in Iraq, and don't get all warm and fuzzy about law enforcement and the people who fill the ranks (for the record I do carry a badge myself as a Worcester County Reserve Deputy Sheriff, but I find that people holding such appointments are held in even higher disdain than civilians who work for police agencies by the "real cops"). I am not feeling sorry for myself here, just an observation after working for the Job for eight years. In case you are wondering, I have an excellent record and am reasonably well thought of as an analyst by the people I work for. I use this board, like so many others as a catharsis for dealing with life, and I don't take it all that seriously. Like some talk radio programs, it amuses me, especially when people take things so seriously. Like most of you here, I can spout a lot of rhetoric but don't profess to have much in the way of real answers. So let's just continue having fun.....and please remember, with me it is never personal.

Mark aka Liberal Pussy, Sheeple and now Crybaby

JonJ said:

Yeah, meanwhile their eyes were strayed from the screen when
an investigator with a fake bomb passes freely through the
security checkpoint. Happened a lot 10 years ago, still happens
now.

I've also heard numerous stories (post 9/11) of people having accidentally
left pistols and such in purses and that their guns were not discovered by
the xray operators. Numerous cases existed where people could have
boarded a plane with a gun they werent supposed to have.

Lets not forget the activist types that smuggled knives and other weapons
on planes and left them sprinkled about the passenger compartment.

Anything other than -bomb- detection doesn't really do a whole lot
of good WRT aircraft security anyways.

-Mike

Having just flown from Las Vegas to Prov. RI I was caught with a magazine from an M1 carbine in my carry on and was in fact detained and questioned.

What I was told is that there are NO gunparts allowed on carry on luggage period, nothing, not a screw or clip nevermind a magazine.

There was a gun show the week before and they told me that there were a lot of FFL holders trying to take things back with them and they were the ones who were detained the longest because they should know better. I was detained about 30 to 45 minutes and was told to mail it back at the post office in McCarran airport.
At least I was able to keep the damn thing!

Of course I asked why and was told the same thing that someone could bring other parts on and assemble a gun. Also, the cop told me it's the federal law and we are just upholding it.

Since I started this thread; Jim knew he had screwed up. He was not upset! He flies all the time, had with him that day a large piece of electronic equipment that almost always causes questioning as a carry on (he does non destructive testing,NDT, ultasonic , X-ray, eddy currents). So here he was during a period hightened alert status, with a big strange electroic "thing" and firearm components. Better than the time when he was digging through his bag and found a live .40 S&W round at Houston International that had made it through Salt Lake.

Four of the five law enforcement people very polite, one was a jerk, but Jim kept his cool because he knew if he got pissy he would get a free ride downtown.

The only time Jim got miffed was in Portland Maine when the security trainee was so slow 15 people, Jim one of them, missed their flight. Air port security there basically said tough luck, should have been here earlier. Like 2.5 hours wasn't early enough.

This thread is interesting to me. As I posted elsewhere on this site, I am taking the family on vacation shortly and we will be flying. I am concerned about airport security and the possibility of having the family pulled out of line and detained. You see, my worries are centered around the fact that I'm doing a lot of reloading and shooting. I'm afraid that when the TSA goes and swabs our cases, there will be trace amounts of gun powder found. Do you think I'm just being a bit over worried or is this something I should be concerned with? It could happen............

I did the same w/a sks cleaning kit "parts". 1 allen wrench, 1 allen wrench container.SURRENDERED!!!! bastards!

Never, NEVER have a little foil packet of vitamin C drink cold remedy in your pocket after staying in a place that puts them out as a courtesy for their guests. Trust me on that.

Hamar said:
I'm afraid that when the TSA goes and swabs our cases, there will be trace amounts of gun powder found.

Went through this a couple weeks ago. Got pulled out and run through the sniffer machine at logan in the same clothes I'd been shooting in a couple hours before. Don't know what it found or who was reading it, but they did let me through. Seemed like I was in there longer than everybody else, but that was probably just in my head.

Back
Top Bottom