• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GSSF

I've been looking at the schedule for matches and I was wondering why there is nothing listed for the GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) matches in the northeast. They have some outdoor matches and there is also an indoor league where you shoot once a weekend for 3 months.

Another plus to these matches is the Glock armorer attends these matches a couple of times a year and will fix any part of your Glock that needs it for free. Where I live now the armorer also brings different models that you can shoot for free including ammo. You can win pistols and other prizes. The indoor league you only have to load 10 rounds a mag so even those in oppressed states would be able to participate.

So are there any theories as to why a range in VT, NH, or ME isn't holding any of these matches?

Maybe contact glock or the ranges and ask them. Most people here will only be able to guess as to why they don't do it

Harvard used to host them years ago, but between USPSA, cowboy, IDPA, and Steel Challenge, things are rather busy. Nothing wrong with the GSSF matches, but there's less interest in it than the other options.

Nashua held at least one GSSF match, but no longer does.

I wonder if since glock no longer bothers to pay to get on "the list" and doesnt sell in MA that they dropped all interest in marketing in the this state. just a thought

Hard for GSSF to feel welcome in Mass, bit difficult to acquire the hardware. No excuse for NH, VT, CT, ME though. They do have them in NY and NJ. I suppose if there is a big enough demand someone would make them happen.

Yep, back in the day you could actually WIN a nice new pistol at these matches.

Then you might be able to get them to send you a re-furb that had been in MA.

Then the silliness got to the point where Glock said "not worth it". Haven't seen a Glock match here in the NE for many years.

Back ~2004 was the last time I heard of a GSSF match in New England . . . think it was in NH.

They can't do them in MA as it is illegal for any NR to bring handguns into MA w/o a MA NR LTC, even for matches. Apparently Glock Legal Dept figured that out long before ANY of us did! They also can't award NEW guns to winners in MA.

Now the question is . . . does GSSF approach clubs to run the matches or do clubs approach GSSF? If the latter, I suggest a member of Pelham should approach the club BOD and then approach GSSF if there is interest in bringing the matches to the area. Can't hurt to try.

Every time that I see a Glock Rep or Employee, I give them s**t for not holding and sponsoring GSSF Matches in New England. The response is always the same....they don't care. I remember Chris Edwards (One of the big guys at GSSF) blaming me and other Mass residents for "Our" Attorney General. Glock feels no compulsion and shares no desire to come to Massachusetts for sure....and New England in General. I have had these conversations at SHOT Show, Glock Armorer Courses, trade shows, far away GSSF matches and with LE Reps.
The polite response from Glock, is that NE doesn't have gun laws or gun clubs which support their activities. They also state that GSSF is established in other states, and any NE locations are unlikely. I imagine GSSF might shut down New York shoots now?

As to the old days, Yes....Harvard and Nashua formerly had matches and they were well run. The GSSF Prize structure is rewarding and lucrative. Mass. Residents used to get Guns....Then Savings Bonds...then Checks.......and now(2013)....you might get a Lifetime Membership to GSSF. Yes, a membership to an organization that doesn't come to NE

Last edited:
Btw, I've got boxes of those Glock stickers....patches....key chains.....pens. Thanks for reminding me! I gotta throw all that SWAG away. What's the point. I'd throw the GSSF hat away too...but it keeps the Rain off my Head. And GSSF brings nuthin but Clouds and Rain to MASS.

Whoa now, send 'em this way, I'll pay shipping! On another note, does any shop in NH honor the GSSF discount?

Posted from my car phone.

I miss those matches. Met a lot of great people. Jim Scouten, Wally Rauch and Mitch Rosen come to mind. They even had a drawing for a new Glock just for us Range Officers. Chris Edwards said he would do everything possible to make sure the winner would get his/her gun. Glock did certify their guns for MA, but the AG declared the loaded chamber indicator as insufficient shortly thereafter. I think that was when Glock gave up on MA.
Nashua held the match the following year, but I believe the Fudds forced action shooting out of the club.

I really am surprised there isn't a GSSF match or three in NH or VT. I understand why Glock gave up on Ma. Woudl have been nice if they pushed back and said if they aren't safe enough for the general public then they aren't safe enough for the Police and stopped all sales. Never happen, but it would have been nice.

Last I remember was Nashua or maybe Pelham.

Most clubs have enough on their schedules to strain the limited help they have. I worked a couple GSSF matches and they were fun and I am not really a Glock person.

I think there is still a yearly in New Jersey and another in PA but not sure.

TY ... Pelham never hosted a GSSF Event. It had been suggested at Pelham Membership Meetings, but the topic was never explored further. The match does demand alot of volunteer support and set up, despite the apparent rewards ( Prizes, Armorer support, Club Awareness, etc.).

You still would think some Club in NH , VT or ME would host a match?

Just got a GSSF pistol certificate in the mail….would love a G20MOS but, well Mass.

I know, holy thread resurrection Batman.

Nice. I am looking to move into that area but man the house prices are up in the last year or two. Still….maybe in a year or two.

Nice. I am looking to move into that area but man the house prices are up in the last year or two. Still….maybe in a year or two.

I'm in Richmond Hill, about 15 minutes from Savannah city line, 30 minutes from actual city. I wouldn't expect house prices to go down any time soon. There's a lot of both commercial and residential development going on - that's jobs and housing.

Bad news for me is that a good part of that development is going on in an area that I drive through to get to my range. :(

Georgia is a large state, about seven times the size of MA; and as you would expect there's a lot of variety. I live in southern coastal Georgia, outside of Savannah. There's Old Savannah, with horse drawn carriages, squares and ghosts - and there's today's Savannah with SCAD, car dealerships and McDonalds.

We're close enough to I95, close enough to a decent airport, close enough to good medical facilities - but don't live next door to any of that.

Go far enough north, and you're in Atlanta. West and you can be in Columbus, on the Chattahoochee Riverwalk. Yeah, that's real - Chattahoochee RiverWalk

My son's best friend can't deal with noise - he's got PTSD, from as he says "I got blowed up". He's building a house in central western Georgia, up in the mountains - step one was to make a road so that he could clear the lot.

I like living down here. I moved here because we were done with Connecticut. Tired of the snow, (I don't do winter sports), fed up with the economy/taxes/fiscal mismanagement, and fed up with the ever infringing gun laws. Connecticut is a beautiful state, I lived there for years - and I miss the Fall riding season. I used to ride up into Vermont and New Hampshire regularly just to enjoy the foliage.

My wife and I put together lists. Must have, nice to have, won't tolerate. Based on those, we chose Richmond Hill.

The weather's a very serious consideration. We were done with winter, but Coastal Georgia's summer is just absolutely brutal. It's HOT and it's HUMID. I've been spending my summers in CT to avoid that; I had a residential camper in a campground up there for years. Sold it this past May, and I'm adapting.

As I said, it's a large state. We're coastal because we want to be able to go to the beach without it being an ordeal. The climate to the west is markedly different.

If you're looking at Georgia, definitely check out North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. Georgia's where we chose to live, but it might not be the best place for you to live. Depends upon what your needs/wants are.

Excellent write up. I will pass it along to Mrs USP to get her input. We are also considering Florida as in the next 5-10 years I will be retiring as well. Definitely we are looking at NC and SC as well. Honestly, not so much for Tennessee but that may change.

Back
Top Bottom