GSG-522: Fun range toy.

I picked one up from GunBroker two weeks ago and finally had some time to play with it yesterday at the range. Its a 2nd Gen I guess? It still has the HK foregrip, but has the little nubbies on the lower grip.

It is a really fun rifle. Its hard to call it a rifle though. Its very light and I finally have something I can bolt all my leftover junk onto. Since it shoots 22LR, I'm imagining its what a suppressed 9mm would sound like. I normally shoot 308, so the recoil from 22LR felt like a pellet gun.

I've seen online where someone had built a speed loader for the mags, and I think I'm going to do this same thing with the CCI 22LR pack I bought. The little rounds are so fiddly, its a PITA to load them.

This is my first 22, so I'm not sure if the 3 FTF's I got were common. I stripped and cleaned the rifle once I picked it up from the FFL and didnt see anything worn. The guy who sold it maybe ran a few hundred rounds through it. Mostly lead rounds I'm guessing since there was a lot of fouling at the end of the barrel.

I ran 90 rounds just to play and rough sight in the little red dot I had. Cant comment on accuracy yet, but I wouldnt see using this any further than 25-50 yards. Its a simple design, lots of cross compatibility with HK parts and also with airsoft stuff as well since its a rimfire.

If you are looking for something to run a whole lot of rounds through, a trainer, or a range toy I suggest getting one.

Last edited:

I agree the [thread=245913]GSG-522[/thread] is a fun 22, has even less practical use than a 10/22 but still... fun.

It's funny, the "rifle" version is light for a rifle, while the "pistol" version is heavy for a pistol and unbalanced. I'm thinking about SBR'ing the pistol, should help with the balance.

Last edited:
a little unrelated but i have the sw 15-22. i was very shocked the first time I shot it out to 200 yards and it was still accurate. i bet youll be shocked at how effective that little 22lr rifle is at longer distances

This is my first 22, so I'm not sure if the 3 FTF's I got were common. I stripped and cleaned the rifle once I picked it up from the FFL and didnt see anything worn. The guy who sold it maybe ran a few hundred rounds through it. Mostly lead rounds I'm guessing since there was a lot of fouling at the end of the barrel.
Some GSG-5 guns suffer from light strikes, can help to clean out the bolt assembly and check lubrication of the firing pin. Cheap lead 22LR leaves a lot of "grit" in the action.

I had some feed problems initially, but isolated the issue to a couple of 10-round magazines that had been hacked to restore them to standard capacity.

They're wicked fun little guns, and always get a reaction at the range.

I like that you can "dress them up" differently, depending on mood.

Like a MP5A3

sf9eyo.jpg

or like an MP5K

19a2pl.jpg

Right now mine's living as an MP5K, but, either way, they're cheap fun.

Google "GSG-5 screw upgrade." It's well worth it.

Gsg makes pretty good products.
I have there 1911 22 conversion kit.
I believe they make the sig 1911 22 or sig def uses there slide for the 22.

I've been wanting the stg clone but figure the hk clones are the closest I'll ever get.

Any internal pics of the hk ones?
Few people on another forum talked about stuffing a 9mm tube gun in side of there .

Mine was a total lemon... FTF, FTE and a round going off out of battery... If it makes it 6 rounds without a failure of some kind it's a miracle.

It sits in the back of my safe for life now. I can't even sell it, I'd feel like a jerk.

It's good to hear that other people are having fun with theirs. But I'll be sticking with 10/22's and S&W 15-22's from now on. No more GSG for me.

Mine was a total lemon... FTF, FTE and a round going off out of battery... If it makes it 6 rounds without a failure of some kind it's a miracle.

It sits in the back of my safe for life now. I can't even sell it, I'd feel like a jerk.

It's good to hear that other people are having fun with theirs. But I'll be sticking with 10/22's and S&W 15-22's from now on. No more GSG for me.

I'll take it off your hands .

Cool pics, Scott. Are these SBRs though set up like that?

They're wicked fun little guns, and always get a reaction at the range.

I like that you can "dress them up" differently, depending on mood.

Like a MP5A3

sf9eyo.jpg

or like an MP5K

19a2pl.jpg

Right now mine's living as an MP5K, but, either way, they're cheap fun.

Google "GSG-5 screw upgrade." It's well worth it.

Cool pics, Scott. Are these SBRs though set up like that?

Yup.

Started life as a Gen 2 GSG-5. After I got my Form 1 back, I bought a GSG-5P 9" pistol barrel (they were all of $40 back then; not sure what they are now), and it's a 15 minute swap to pull the rifle barrel and put the pistol barrel in.

I ran it as a MP5A3 for a while, and then I found someone selling a brand-new GSG-5PK barrel, and you could still get a "front end" kit from ATI. Swapped out the barrel and front end, bought the folding stock, and Voila! It's an MP5K.

It's the ultimate Mr. Potato Head MP5.

Has anyone done the HK selector mod on theirs? Seems like it was popular back in like 2009 but most of the links/photos in the DIYs are dead now. I have the selector, just not too sure on what exactly needs to be drilled in the trigger pack, and ground on the selector. I put the Evike airsoft SEF lower on mine and SBR'd it a few years ago.

Yup.

Started life as a Gen 2 GSG-5. After I got my Form 1 back, I bought a GSG-5P 9" pistol barrel (they were all of $40 back then; not sure what they are now), and it's a 15 minute swap to pull the rifle barrel and put the pistol barrel in.

I ran it as a MP5A3 for a while, and then I found someone selling a brand-new GSG-5PK barrel, and you could still get a "front end" kit from ATI. Swapped out the barrel and front end, bought the folding stock, and Voila! It's an MP5K.

It's the ultimate Mr. Potato Head MP5.

That's awesome, you must get a lot of looks at the range.

Awesome gun. I was having some issues with FTF in my 522 until I went to CCI HV copper plated. Went through a 300 rd box of CCI HV with not one FTF. I read on some of the other threads that it can be picky with ammo

I dont see how difficult for a company to build a version in 9mm and the long barrel with a shroud.

Whats the benefit of the screw upgrade? Cant I just use some loctite?

Last edited:
I dont see how difficult for a company to build a version in 9mm and the long barrel with a shroud.

The factory screws on the receiver, and especially the bolt carrier are cheap, pot metal, with a funky not-really-Phillips-screw heads. They strip easily. The replacement screws are real steel, with allen heads. Worth the time (short) and cost (little).

Hk will sue you or want a big chunk of the profit.
But as a private person . You can make a cheap mp5 clone.
Buy a metal air soft gun and stick a tube gun in side of it .

Bump, just wanted to ask again if anyone did the HK selector mod. ScottS -- I think I saw you posting in some ARF threads from years ago on it, did you end up doing it?

Bump, just wanted to ask again if anyone did the HK selector mod. ScottS -- I think I saw you posting in some ARF threads from years ago on it, did you end up doing it?

Yes, that was me on ARFCOM, but I never found a good way to do it without massive cutting on the safety selector. The methods I saw were pretty major surgery, and I wimped out.

I have the SEF lower, but never completed the HK mod.

Back
Top Bottom