Grubs?

Around here its crows. Early early in the morning they dig up, tear up your lawn and they’re gone before anybody sees them.
From my experience turkeys just scratch and vacuum not dig up.

RC

Milky spore does wonders on Japanese Beetle Grubs. This is a good time to apply. Remember to hit any planting beds you have. Gurbs love to hang out in them as well.

My firearm related solution (since this is a gun forum) is to pepper the lawn from a 2nd floor window with #4 shot from a 12ga. If applied evenly, this should execute any grubs in your soil. If any survive, reapply with #2 shot for more penetration.

You'll contaminate the soil with lead doing that. I just load my shells with the grub granules and shoot it in. This way I get good penetration of the poison before I water it in.

You'll contaminate the soil with lead doing that. I just load my shells with the grub granules and shoot it in. This way I get good penetration of the poison before I water it in.
Brilliant!
If someone would make Airsoft BBs out of weed-n-feed I'd let my son do all the shooting he wants. (His "biodegradable" BBs still litter my lawn years latet.)

So...speaking of thatching and aeration, anyone have advice on tools/rollers/etc.? I’m on an acre, so I can just walk around on spikes, but I don’t know if it’s effective. Thanks in advance.

An acre of lawn with those shoes?? Did you plan on walking 50 miles like a Geisha??? That's a LOT of lawn to aerate.

I'll say this: I have a professional lawn service do all my treating and cleanups and such. Benefits of working my ass off for 30 years. They aerate and such. To be honest? I did my own lawn care for 20 years. I never aerated once. Not once. Never dethached. Well, maybe once when my neighbor rented the machine. But it wasn't needed. I watered. I left my clippings with a mulching mower. I fertilized and various-chemicaled. Never needed aeration and such.

What I WILL tell you is that a good part of aeration is overseeding. You aerate and then overseed then vibrate it in. Gets that seed down in them holes. Only if you really need overseeding.

Last aeration thing - I have a new company this year (and last, but didn't notice this) for lawn care. They RAKED UP the plugs. Something you always see on golf courses but never on residential lawns. I didn't even know they aerated until I looked under a tree where the grass is a bit thinner. (I've got pretty strong grass this year - like crazy.). Not sure if it helped or hurt. My soil is awesome so it's not a big deal either way.

The milky spore control seems to have some issues as well if you're up north.. https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource002814_Rep4169.pdf
Biological Control - There are a number of predators and parasitoids that attack white grubs, but unfortunately their effectiveness for control is unknown. There are also two biological control agents that are available: milky spore and parasitic nematodes. The biological agent that causes milky spore disease only controls the Japanese beetle. Be warned that research findings indicate that the milky spore bacterium is not effective in northern New England because spring soils are too cold. The parasitic nematode can suppress white grub populations, but requires moist soil conditions and also has shown minimum survival in New Hampshire soils because of the extreme temperature fluctuations.

Think you are probably OK based on new lawn and what they did. Don’t think you could have enough thatch to worry about. Would put down some nitrogen fertilizer in a couple weeks and some prodamine in early November and next spring to keep weeds from propagating.

Thanks so much for your guidance. Any specific NPK ratio or specific product you’d recommend?

Thanks so much for your guidance. Any specific NPK ratio or specific product you’d recommend?

You want to use something like 18-0-6. Not slow release. Very little/no phosphates/phosphorous. Scotts winter turf builder is 32-0-10 would work. Put down 1 lb of N per 1000sqft/month until frost hits. This probably means only one application this year. Next year, can start blitzing with N mid August and likelly get three applications down.

If you can't find something similar at the big box stores, you can buy from:

https://www.siteone.com/ (find the nearest location to you with the store locator function.)
or
Lawn & Garden Care Products | DIY Lawn Pest Control - DoMyOwn.com (Lot's of questions/comments answered by their in house pro's by product - herbicides, pre-emergents and fertilizers. Prices are decent. Bought a bottle of Tenacity herbicide/pre-em from them for 50% of what Siteone or Amazon was asking for it.)

Next spring have a soil test done and follow the suggestions provided with the test results by the testing company.

This winter when it's cold and crappy outside, guns are cleaned, safe is organized and no brass left to reload, read the posts here: The Lawn Forum - Index page Lot's of good practical info (just like NES.) My wife refers to the site as the 'lawn nerds'. There are people that walk their lawn with with small cup Round Up and a tiny paint brush to treat/paint the weeds they find. That's hardcore.

I put some of this down tonight.. Supposed to rain later which will soak it in. Supposedly will kill these things within 24 hrs. I'll report back on Wednesday.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVA...-10-lb-Ready-to-Use-Insect-Killer-Bag/3353712

It for sure will work. Needs about a 1/2" of water to wash it in. Am nearby in Wrentham, not sure there was enough rain overnight to wash it deep enough. You may see some of the grubs come to the surface -- but if you don't, possible skunks and crows may 'disappear' the evidence before you can verify. Common practice is to drop a second application 4-5 days later to be sure to kill the current crop of grubs.

Just wait. You'll get 1/2" and more of rain in the next couple of days. Last long weekend of the warmer weather and it's gonna rain most of it. :(

This is all they have at Lowe’s today and I have a two hour window to apply. Was hoping for Dylox but I have to put something down before the rain. Ugh
FC645C68-B3BA-406F-8399-999A3AA9FB64.jpeg

This is all they have at Lowe’s today and I have a two hour window to apply. Was hoping for Dylox but I have to put something down before the rain. Ugh
View attachment 306917

hey.. did you read this... How to choose and when to apply grub control products for your lawn

Products that will NOT kill grubs
  • Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer for Lawns - Granular
    gamma-cyhalothrin 0.05%
    This product will not kill grubs at any rate. This product was tested by MSU for grub control in 2006 and gave identical results as the untreated plots.

hopefully you didn't open it yet and can return it... where you located in SEMA exactly?

Thanks. Too late now. Was at the Lowe's in Plainville looking for the grub stuff you posted above, they didn't have any. Time was extremely limited so bought the one I thought (but wasn't sure) would work and threw it down quick. Thankfully it wasn't expensive.

yeah.. it was on a pallet in the garden area, and not with the rest inside. I had to ask as their app showed they had 35 of them in stock.

There were several of these upper deckers on my lawn. Anyone know what critter? Skunk? Racoon? Possum? Thanks.

View attachment 306684
Those are definitely skunk. I’ve been trying for weeks to catch my vandal! Finally observed him the other night coming out from under my front stairs. Grub X-Ed the sh** out of my lawn the other day, and that skunk gave up the ghost yesterday!! Problem solved.... for this year anyways, lol

I just let the grubs win a few years ago and then the skunks just came in my yard and ate all the bastards. I have a few bare patches in the yard that have been there forever but I don't think the grubs
ever came back. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom