• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Grouse in Mass...?

I think I saw one yesterday morning in Groveland... Flew in front of the truck as I was driving early morning before sunrise..Looked different from a hen pheasant..

Definitely around. I saw one up close in my backyard (greater worcester area). She blended in perfectly with the ground cover this time of year, if she wasn't moving around I never would have seen her and I was only 10 feet away.

You should both play the lottery then. The cape is the only place that has any actual numbers of grouse around in mass that I'm aware of. Some western zones have some pockets due to habitat creation.

If I ever see one when I'm hunting rabbit or squirrel I'll leave it alone even though they have a legal season.

The pooch put one up last year while we were hunting pheasant at the Southampton WMA. It flew so low I didn't dare take a shot right over the dog. Just as glad we didn't take the shot, as they're struggling to hang on. I'd like to see F&W spend some money creating the kind of habitat that the grouse need. They spend a lot of our license money buying real estate and then creating habitat for turtles and sparrows.

Would be great to have an established population around. I typically go up to Maine for grouse, however haven't been able to for the past few seasons. Problem is at least around here, is there isn't a ton of good habitat.

I have hunted the Groveland and Georgetown for about the past 40 years. Last grouse I flushed was about 25 years ago in the Georgetown Rowley state forest. Not saying it wasn't a grouse, but it was much more likely a hen pheasant. Especially if you were anywhere near an area that is stocked with pheasants.

Would be great to have an established population around. I typically go up to Maine for grouse, however haven't been able to for the past few seasons. Problem is at least around here, is there isn't a ton of good habitat.
Maine has great habitat with the logging that continues up there. They also have great populations of grouse.

The cape is the only place that has any actual numbers of grouse around in mass that I'm aware of. Some western zones have some pockets due to habitat creation.

I hunted central MA for 20 years. We always took a Grouse at least once every other hunt. We worked deep cover and had good dogs. All around the Quabbin holds grouse. I have not been hunting for about 5 years, but they are still there as reported to me.

I hunted central MA for 20 years. We always took a Grouse at least once every other hunt. We worked deep cover and had good dogs. All around the Quabbin holds grouse. I have not been hunting for about 5 years, but they are still there as reported to me.
That's one of the western mass pockets.

Go to North Central Maine and drive the logging roads. In the morning as the sun hits the dirt roads we see grouse sitting in the road constantly. They are everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom