• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Group buys and Pay Pal and those like Pay Pal

I don't use PayPal. Been on lots of buys both group and private (on NES) without an issue from the buyer to date. I clearly state my intention and follow thru with it when the seller agrees.

If any seller would only accept PayPal then I would tell them on the spot that my side of the deal is off.

PAY-PAL is easy,and safe I use it all the time even for guns,and gun parts.Like EBAY is anti gun,you should see how many gun parts get sold on EBAY,and get paid threw pay-pal.

Paypal is great, just remember to always use the Friends & Family option so they don't make any money off the transactions.

That is awesome that they just steel your money if you reference Isis and that they are so technically advanced they just look for keywords talking about terrorism. I would assume the terrorists are not referencing money for Isis or terror so anything referencing those things is pretty much guaranteed to be legit in reality.

Be aware that use of friends & family or "gift" may blow any chance of a chargeback based on a dispute with the merchant.

try to not use pay pal whenever possible but it's not to say i wouldn't if no other option. i just think all the fees suck.

Paypal is great, just remember to always use the Friends & Family option so they don't make any money off the transactions.

Yes, just remember you're not protected if you pay a stranger using this option, he can not ship the goods, saying you just gave him a money gift.

- - - Updated - - -

Be aware that use of friends & family or "gift" may blow any chance of a chargeback based on a dispute with the merchant.

you beat me again, wtf, lol.

paypal and ebay are protectionist political groups that serve as a middleman. so obviously I prefer not to give them any $.

it's really not that hard to purchase directly from a vendor, and we all know the vendor prefers it.

I found that the gift option only works if you give PayPal access to your bank account . . . something I'll never do!!!!!!!

I've been hit with fraudulent charges on PP in the past and they never ever responded to my query about them. Since I only use a CC with PP, the CC company took care of the fraud. If it was my bank account, I probably would have been drained dry with no recourse. I don't trust them, after the last incident I ONLY use PP when there is no other way to pay and then I use my Citi card only . . . the Virtual Card which is a one-use only number with a $ limit and time limit.

I found that the gift option only works if you give PayPal access to your bank account . . . something I'll never do!!!!!!!

I've been hit with fraudulent charges on PP in the past and they never ever responded to my query about them. Since I only use a CC with PP, the CC company took care of the fraud. If it was my bank account, I probably would have been drained dry with no recourse. I don't trust them, after the last incident I ONLY use PP when there is no other way to pay and then I use my Citi card only . . . the Virtual Card which is a one-use only number with a $ limit and time limit.

Not sure this is true, Len, cause normally what happens is you get a charge, and once a month Paypal asks you to pay it, and you can choose CC or bank account. I have never had a charge directly taken from my bank account out of the blue.

I sell stuff on Ebay and once a person received it and then 2 weeks later claimed they never ordered it. Paypal sided with me, the seller. Only issue I've ever had.

Not sure this is true, Len, cause normally what happens is you get a charge, and once a month Paypal asks you to pay it, and you can choose CC or bank account. I have never had a charge directly taken from my bank account out of the blue.

I sell stuff on Ebay and once a person received it and then 2 weeks later claimed they never ordered it. Paypal sided with me, the seller. Only issue I've ever had.

I've been using PP since 2008 and have never had any problems. I have rarely sold anything through PP and the one or two issues I had as a buyer PP resolved quickly and to my 100% satisfaction. I must be lucky I guess

I just don't trust them with my bank info. I'm very picky on who I give access to my bank account. I know (from discussions with bank managers) that once you give permission to xyz company to hit your bank account, the bank can NOT stop them from changing amounts or any other controls . . . they tell you to deal with a merchant.

I've been using PP since 2008 and have never had any problems. I have rarely sold anything through PP and the one or two issues I had as a buyer PP resolved quickly and to my 100% satisfaction. I must be lucky I guess

My last PP fraud deal was multiple hits from Skype in Singapore. I've never used Skype and never been to the Far East. So I was puzzled how it happened and queried PP with absolutely no response. That built further mistrust.

Thus I'll never use them to accept payment for anything and have only bought from Fleabay but never sold anything there. I know that Fleabay put a rule in place that all payments had to go thru PP, not sure if that is still true or not but no desire to deal with them at that level.

-------------------------

I just logged in for the first time in a very long time. I opened my PP account in 2002. They re-did the website since the last time I was on their site. Now they are asking for my SSN . . . yeah right!!

Last edited:
"Thus I'll never use them to accept payment for anything and have only bought from Fleabay but never sold anything there. I know that Fleabay put a rule in place that all payments had to go thru PP, not sure if that is still true or not but no desire to deal with them at that level."

That's because Ebay had their finger in the Paypal pie. Not sure if it still does, though worth looking into now that I think about.

You can use the gift option with a cc as well but they charge you a small percentage. If you have funds in your Paypal account or a linked bank account they do it with no fee.

"Thus I'll never use them to accept payment for anything and have only bought from Fleabay but never sold anything there. I know that Fleabay put a rule in place that all payments had to go thru PP, not sure if that is still true or not but no desire to deal with them at that level."

That's because Ebay had their finger in the Paypal pie. Not sure if it still does, though worth looking into now that I think about.

They're the same company, though I think Ebay just spun off Paypal.

Paypal and Ebay are notorious for ignoring complaints. But I sell stuff on Ebay (anything around the house that we don't need), and there's not really a good alternative, although people are starting to use Amazon marketplace. I haven't tried that yet.

when I was buying all my trains items...I set up and used a paypal account. But then I started getting all these e-mails about an issue with my account. so I notified paypal and cancelled my account.

I have had the same experience. a few years ago I was doing a lot of selling both for myself and others. I cycled 10's of thousands of dollars through my Paypal account with no issues. The only thing that pissed me off was when they changed the default payment type to PayPal credit without my permission. With the very few buyer issues I had they sided with me 100% of the time because I had all my documentation in order.

I have had the same experience. a few years ago I was doing a lot of selling both for myself and others. I cycled 10's of thousands of dollars through my Paypal account with no issues. The only thing that pissed me off was when they changed the default payment type to PayPal credit without my permission. With the very few buyer issues I had they sided with me 100% of the time because I had all my documentation in order.

Just be careful, many of these sites push you in the direction they want you to go but it's easy to avoid by just double checking before you click. It's good exercise to be aware and keeps the mind sharp

HA! Before Ebay many years ago we waited patiently for "The Want-Advertiser". It came out weekly and I couldn't wait to get a fresh copy every week. It was the ONLY way to find things for car enthusiasts or antique and collectibles buyers.
I have absolutely no luck with Craigslist, buying or selling.

I won't buy on ebay, if the seller doesn't accept Paypal. Well....if it's something I really, really absolutely, positively, have to have...

Back
Top Bottom