• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Groundblinds?

Chris M.

NES Member
I'm thinking of buying one. Do people have good luck with them?

A couple places I sit are kindof exposed. I've built natural blinds with decent results but I'm wondering if the groundblind would be better since I probably move around/fidget too much, and it might be comfortable for one of the kids if they come and sit with me for an afternoon.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

I've been thinking about these as well. Something faster to put up, lighter, quieter than a climber. My concerns with them is that Mr Buck will come walking by and be like "hey, whats that new blob of cammo there?" But the more I talk to those who use them say this just isn't the case.

I have a ground blind (cheap but fits two)......you guys that use them for deer seasont do you put orange tape above it?

I've been thinking about these as well. Something faster to put up, lighter, quieter than a climber. My concerns with them is that Mr Buck will come walking by and be like "hey, whats that new blob of cammo there?" But the more I talk to those who use them say this just isn't the case.
Never hunted deer out of a ground blind but I hunt geese out of a layout blind ( Same concept ) . As with a layout blind you have to break up the boxy outline by weaving grasses and other natural vegetation in the stubble straps sewn onto the blind . I would break up the outline of a deer type ground blind with branches and other natural vegetation .

Build your own preseason. It's cheaper and you can create your own shooting lines. For a half hours worth of work, it'll save you the cash and I believe will work just as effectively.

I have a ground blind (cheap but fits two)......you guys that use them for deer seasont do you put orange tape above it?

I Never put orange tape on it..have used in field situations, work nice and better than sitting in blowing cold wind for hours.

Sent from the blind

I have one but I don't like it. I'm sure that's more of a byproduct of the blind itself. It's a bitch to put up and even more to take down. But I have it to use when we have weather. Even still - I was in the stand today with a tree umbrella as opposed to the blind. Mine is also no less bulky or heavy than my climber.

I have one but I don't like it. I'm sure that's more of a byproduct of the blind itself. It's a bitch to put up and even more to take down. But I have it to use when we have weather. Even still - I was in the stand today with a tree umbrella as opposed to the blind. Mine is also no less bulky or heavy than my climber.

What kind do you have? I have a Primos and it is can be put and taken down while in my chair in about 10 minutes. Not the easiest for me but it you can stand it would take less than a few minutes to have up or down.

Did not use it at all this year since I cannot fit my track chair in it.

i've hunted deer from a ground blind once... ONCE. I found my vision extremely compromised, not only from being covered but also from just being on the ground. Deer walk through the woods so stealthy and are so skittish as it is, the last thing i ever want to experience again is deer appearing before me almost out of no where. Use the money to get another treestand and if you have kids get a 2 person treestand. Part of hunting is learning to be motionless so teach the kids early. You also get a tremendous advantage of being able to hear and see deer coming from a distance.

Well some people cannot use tree stands, some do not want to. If it gets them out hunting I do not see a problem with it, especially if they want to try and get a young one out. If you do not like them, do not use them.

Well some people cannot use tree stands, some do not want to. If it gets them out hunting I do not see a problem with it, especially if they want to try and get a young one out. If you do not like them, do not use them.

Well put. I would gladly use one if I ever get out hunting again.

I friggen hate them. Talk about being disconnected from nature.

Depends on your preference. Sometimes I build them when I am stalking hunting to hide. Really not much different from a pop up blind. In the open fields its pretty tough not to have one unless you dress up like a bail of hay. Even in the woods ive used them where stands were just not usable. You use what you can to give yourself coverage just like you wear camo use scent killer, calls etc

Sent from the blind

Depends on your preference. Sometimes I build them when I am stalking hunting to hide. Really not much different from a pop up blind. In the open fields its pretty tough not to have one unless you dress up like a bail of hay. Even in the woods ive used them where stands were just not usable. You use what you can to give yourself coverage just like you wear camo use scent killer, calls etc

Sent from the blind

Building a blind is fine. At least your out, you have a 360* view of the woods and you know what's going on around you. Not just sitting in a dark tent with the front window pulled down and all others closed. You can't see shit and if you hear something you'll never know what it is.

Why would only have the front windows down? I used to have them all down except maybe one.

Why would only have the front windows down? I used to have them all down except maybe one.

With your shooting window open, no other light can get in. Hence you are still invisible and a non threat. When you start opening windows and letting light in, you can now be seen from outside the blind, and deer will act skittish or not walk past you.

With your shooting window open, no other light can get in. Hence you are still invisible and a non threat. When you start opening windows and letting light in, you can now be seen from outside the blind, and deer will act skittish or not walk past you.

You are talking about taking the "whole" window out. I never did that as I left the screens in so they could not see movement and I could still shot through the screen.

Bass Pro has one on Sale for $60. Windows on all four sides, with one creating a door
in case you stake down the blind.

Malodave

Building a blind is fine. At least your out, you have a 360* view of the woods and you know what's going on around you. Not just sitting in a dark tent with the front window pulled down and all others closed. You can't see shit and if you hear something you'll never know what it is.

Ahhh I see, youre thinking of an old school cheap shit blind. My blind has 360 degrees of viewing and the windows are shoot thru for bow shotgun or rifle. Most good blinds today are shoot thru and have excellent full view. You add a 360 hunters stool and you're doing very well.

Sent from the blind

Ahhh I see, youre thinking of an old school cheap shit blind. My blind has 360 degrees of viewing and the windows are shoot thru for bow shotgun or rifle. Most good blinds today are shoot thru and have excellent full view. You add a 360 hunters stool and you're doing very well.

Sent from the blind

Not really... This is my blind as it was getting brushed in last July.
If you open all the windows, keeping up the shoot through mesh, you are just as visible as you would be sitting on a stool in the woods. The idea is to keep the light out. Then and only then, you can't be seen inside. Also the further back you sit the better, but that just makes vision shittier than it normally would be.

I have to respectfully disagree, with the screens up on mine deer are not going to see me. Had a few no more than 10 feet to 20 yards away and I was not spotted. Did they notice the blind, of coarse but not into it. That is why they have the print on the out side of the screen part.

I have to respectfully disagree, with the screens up on mine deer are not going to see me. Had a few no more than 10 feet to 20 yards away and I was not spotted. Did they notice the blind, of coarse but not into it. That is why they have the print on the out side of the screen part.

Same here. Turkey or deer have never been spooked when ive used my blind. I always have the windows all open but the print camo on the screen and the design of the blind keep me hidden.

Sent from the blind

I used one this year. My 5 year old gets way too cold and jittery in a ladder stand. I used it just to get him out. I didn't like it for field of vision. Practiced shooting the bow out of it, and shooting is compromised. Never saw a deer in the blind this year.

May try it during shotgun or muzzle with the kid. Have a couple of fields I am thinking of.

The nice thing about it is, it gets my son out with me and he likes it.

Now I will agree wih boxerjake that they limit vision even with all windows open. Once you get out of the blind it seems the world opens up.

They have there place and are nice to use sometimes even though I had not used mine this year. I did have it setup in probably June justso the deer would get used to it.

The older I get the better I like hunting from a blind. I can no longer hike much and tree stands are really out. Blinds keep the wind off and one can hunt in relative comfort in inclement weather. Turkey have no clue nor do bears. Deer can be skittish sometimes but I have never figured out just why. I mostly archery hunt and find them invaluable for that.

Back
Top Bottom