• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ground blind

After watching you tube and reading some so far I'm leaning towards Barronett 250 Ground Pounder. Basing this on weight, and ease of set up. Have to hike in a little, and although I know it's sacrilege, can't leave it there.

Big guy, and probably cant carry gun, blind, day pack full of unneeded crap, and any type of stool, so sitting/kneeling on the ground. What say you? Any advice from experience? Thanks!!!

We’ve used a barronet grounder 350 for past 5 years showing no signs of wear. I use it to bow hunt turkey also used it for deer. I’m guessing the 250 would be lighter easier to carry in.

Get a hot seat skip the ground blind and other unnecessary stuff sit on a rock or stump stay still and pay attention.
Have killed plenty of deer that way.

This. I would rather have a full, uninterrupted field of vision/fire.

Do ground blinds do anything to keep your scent somewhat contained? I always figured that no matter what you do to try to mask it, the wind is going to determine whether or not you get busted more than anything else.

Brian send me a message if you’d be down to meet up at any point during shotgun/ML season. I prefer to walk rather than sit, and if you have any areas that may be productive with a two-guy strategy (rare but I’ve done it to push out a buck) I’m in. ;)

Ive always felt being quiet, still, comfortable is the key. If I am uncomfortable, I move or don't stay on watch as long. I can't be comfortable sitting on the ground for extended periods.

What worked for me for years is a folding seat that straps on a tree. I can put it at a height that is good for my tall legs and banged up knees. I clean leaves away from feet area so I can move my feet, knees a bit and still be quiet. If tree doesn't have any brush near bottom I will put enough there to just break up my outline. Im a fan of blaze camo, which if UV killer treated deer can't really see.

I have several times taken deer when I saw a few go buy just out of range, for whatever reason they had changed pattern (usually open day thing). Quickly move seat, and later taken a deer.

This is shotgun hunting thicker woods.

If I have to choose between a blind, or a comfortable seat, I chose the seat.

This. I would rather have a full, uninterrupted field of vision/fire.

Do ground blinds do anything to keep your scent somewhat contained? I always figured that no matter what you do to try to mask it, the wind is going to determine whether or not you get busted more than anything else.

Brian send me a message if you’d be down to meet up at any point during shotgun/ML season. I prefer to walk rather than sit, and if you have any areas that may be productive with a two-guy strategy (rare but I’ve done it to push out a buck) I’m in. ;)

Here's the deal, if you pull the ground blind out of your garage and put it in the woods, it actually increases foreign scent 24/7 for a good while til the woods scent gets in it. Meaning, leave the blind in the woods at least a week if you can so deer get used to it. Most guys don't want to do this...but you kind of have to.

I've gotten some close shots and kills from a ground blind that I've left out for a season. Times when the deer would either have seen me by then or at least been doing the head bob enough for me to not be able to move. Once they are used to it, it's not a big deal. It probably helps mask smell, but not entirely, if the wind is wrong, forget it. But plunk it down the for a day and hunt out of it, they are going to smell it and at the very least look at it weirdly, like someone putting a brand new smelly couch in your living room.

That said, If I have a gun in my hands, and if deer are running, etc (like opening day of shotgun), I think i'd rather have the field of fire and opportunity to move rather than the extra protection of a treestand or ground blind. Where your essentially "stuck in place".

Back
Top Bottom