Grizzly Bear attack

Ok, this may be a stupid question but here goes anyway. Visitors to Yellowstone can't carry or protect themselves there ? I've never been there so I never knew this if that is true. Paul

Ok, this may be a stupid question but here goes anyway. Visitors to Yellowstone can't carry or protect themselves there ? I've never been there so I never knew this if that is true. Paul
You can: Can I Bring a Gun to Yellowstone?

but the rangers don't want you to use them, even to defend yourself:

Can I shoot my gun?​

In a word, no. The overarching permission that allows guns in Yellowstone doesn’t note the range of additional rules surrounding the presence of firearms in the park. The most important caveat is that visitors aren’t allowed to shoot them. Hunting is strictly forbidden in Yellowstone, as is target practice. And visitors should not use guns as self-defense against large wildlife, but rather carry bear spray and take other safety precautions.

One of my sons has been living in West Yellowstone for 3 years now and has been hiking and camping all over the area. He carries bear spray whenever he's hiking, and often carries a rifle when hiking outside the park. He's not had any close encounters, but has has heard them and seen them at a distance.

Alot of good the bear spray did for the subject of this thread. Not trying to be a smartazz about it but I want to go there before I die but I would not hike there without a 10mm or one of the large hunting / defence revolvers. Paul

No Firearms in the Ntl parks allowed I lived in Denali National park for 7 months and locked up my Guns
"As of February 22, 2010, a federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal and Alaska state law, to legally possess firearms within Denali National Park and Preserve."

thanks Editor Glad to see they changed that stupid law
I was out in Yellowstone right before they changed that law. I remember saying, you can't carry in here? That's stupid.
Right after that they changed the laws for NP's.

But they also have a park rule that says you are to stay 100 yards from bears at all times. Odds are they will try to jam you up with something for defending yourself, in the backcountry not so much maybe, but if your a roadside tourist, you can bet on it.

Not to say there aren't a buttload of stupid people that go there and think its Disney World and try to walk up to wild animals. I saw one guy pretty much go camera to nose with a bison while my son and I were sitting eating lunch at a picnic table by a big field. I told my son watch, if this guy gets stomped into a puddle, we are going to sit back, enjoy the sandwich, and let Darwin take its course.

I witnessed another lady go across the road into a culvert to get pics of a small Grizz. We pulled over on the other side of the road and she pulled up behind me. As we were taking pics from across the road, I told her to not go over there and she gave me a fXck you look and proceeded to go on the bear side of the road and over the guardrail. A Park Ranger pulled in behind her and holy shit, he jumped up and down her ass. His first words to her were "are you a dumb bitch?" "That's a freaking Grizzly Bear idiot." "Get your dumb ass over here!" He wrote her tags down and kicked her out of the park for the day. I loved every minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom