Grip finish

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
In my collection I have a S&W model 1 second addition and a Colt Police cap and ball revolver. I'm just amazed at how the finish on the walnut? grips looks. Almost like brand new. What in hell did they finish them with? Jack .

Rules for the management and cleaning of the rifle musket, model 1863, for the use of soldiers : with descriptive plates : United States. War Dept : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Page 22 section 10
. Oil the stock well with sperm or linseed oil; let is stand a few hours, and then rub it with a woollen rag until the wood is perfectly dry. Repeat this from time to time, and it will produce a polish which moisture will not effect.”

Or good old shellac? Its been around a long time also.
The wood quality is more likely much better than what we see today

I had a very old single shot S&W target. The grips were magnificent as was the bluing. I was always told by my father who had gotten it from my grandfather they were finished in Tung Oil. BLO never dries to the same hard finish.

Rules for the management and cleaning of the rifle musket, model 1863, for the use of soldiers : with descriptive plates : United States. War Dept : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Page 22 section 10
. Oil the stock well with sperm or linseed oil; let is stand a few hours, and then rub it with a woollen rag until the wood is perfectly dry. Repeat this from time to time, and it will produce a polish which moisture will not effect.”

Haaa sperm

Page 22 section 10

I'm not mature enough to read these directions.

Back
Top Bottom