Greg Derr's post

smokey-seven

NES Member
His work is always top of the line, but I have a question that has gone unanswered.

The oiler in this picture, what the hell does that go to? I know it's military, have had some but cannot recall what they are.

DPGwD3r.jpg

I cant say its military or not.
Greg is pro photographer. He had all kinda of cool props.
I will bet a donut the oiler fits the time period.

Now if anyone can ID oilers, I occasionally give this one a rub waiting for a mini genie

View: https://imgur.com/a/6lqXLrs

Last edited:
At a quick search I thought I saw it but this isn't it. I had checked Liberty tree collectors to see what they had but it's not there.
m45oil.t.JPG

Greg

I asked in his thread on that gun, he responded with a like to my question, but no answer.

Real close but no cigar. there are circular areas on both sides of Derr's pic and not on the Swiss one.
Sorry. I got the oilers on a package of stuff. I did not know what the manufacturer was. But do now. Thanks to qqac.

qqac said:
Greg Derr said:
Sorry. I got the oilers on a package of stuff. I did not know what the manufacturer was. But do now. Thanks to qqac.

Thanks qqac, I appreciate the find. Mr. Derr, I also appreciate the candor.

I KNOW that these were military oilers as I have found them among many an old soldiers materials and have had a number of these, which I passed along to people that needed a quality oiler.

I remain uninformed as to exactly where these were supplied. Winchester-Remington 1905-1907 is an interesting date. UMC-Remington was a few years later and these multiple companies went through a variety of company changes.

I gratefully appreciate the responses and remain woefully in lack of remembrances as to exactly to what they were issued.

I cant say its military or not.
Greg is pro photographer. He had all kinda of cool props.
I will bet a donut the oiler fits the time period.

Now if anyone can ID oilers, I occasionally give this one a rub waiting for a mini genie

View: https://imgur.com/a/6lqXLrs

So found mine, i sent off a pic to my oldest relative.
Came back quick response. Thats your great uncle lenny 's fishing real oiler. I have his reals and rods and his old net. Your dad/mom had the lures and fly tying gear.
Vintage Pocket Gun / Fishing Reel Oiler Made in USA | eBay
i googled vintage pocket oilers and handy oilers

Yeah, I suspect oilers for small machine parts of any particular time look like other oilers of the time no matter what small machines they were intended to oil.

Many came from sewing machine manufacturers who in turn made the WWI rifles. Search for 'sewing machine needle oilers' verbiage.

231422254853.jpg

il_570xN.718389129_dym4.jpg

I KNOW that these were military oilers as I have found them among many an old soldiers materials and have had a number of these, which I passed along to people that needed a quality oiler.

I remain uninformed as to exactly where these were supplied. Winchester-Remington 1905-1907 is an interesting date. UMC-Remington was a few years later and these multiple companies went through a variety of company changes.

I gratefully appreciate the responses and remain woefully in lack of remembrances as to exactly to what they were issued.

These may have been commonly found amond the kits of old soldiers, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were standard GI. I think soldiers have always supplemented their personal gear with civilian items, like having a boresnake or Oakley goggles now, back in the day they had Zippo lighters and, before that, these oilers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom