Greenfield stabbing suspect arrested. Schools on lockdown.

BigEd

NES Member
Here's the story:

http://wwlp.com/2014/05/22/police-search-caused-greenfield-school-shelter-in-place-order/

Here's what happened:

I work for a general contractor in Greenfield. We are currently doing work at the Big-Y. Power went out there and I was dispatched to see what generator(s), lights, cords, etc was needed. Headed back to the shop and saw this...

badguy_1_zps059f6484.jpg

When I asked what was going on I was informed they are searching for a suspect who committed a violent crime.

Drove around and went into the office. Was told by one of the owners that she had seen someone run by her window and was hiding in the woods. The guy looked like he was on his phone in the treeline(?). When the owners husband drove out (he was leaving rite when this happened), the guy ducked back into the woods. The treeline has a small pond in it which is used to be part of the Green river (An Oxbow I was told) so making a run for it would be met with water and pricker bushes. He looked like he was trying to hide and we/they heard all of the police about 2 blocks away. So they called Greenfield PD. Less than 3 minutes went by when the 1st state Police car drove through, and the ladies in the office saw the man hide again. They yelled out to the officer that he was less than 20 feet from him. That's when I drove up....

View from garage at the shop.
badguy_2_zpsea5ab865.jpg

Went up on the roof with my boss, and another coworker.
badguy_3_zps88883baf.jpg

Greenfield police loaded shotguns, and sent in a K9 unit.
badguy_4_zps455caae5.jpg

Not less than a minute, heard yelling, barking.
badguy_5_zpsb1bb38c5.jpg

Two guys in one of our work trucks returning for lunch were very surprised...
badguy_6_zpse2541826.jpg

I should have put in WTF!
badguy_7_zps9e8000a0.jpg

Ground view again. Police were searching suspect.
badguy_8_zpsf0e34c2b.jpg

The Greenfield PD, and State Police did an excellent job at apprehending the suspect.

I later heard from neighbors that the suspect was a 20 year son who stabbed his father. His Father is at baystate in Springfield and expected to live. Will most likely hear more rumors as to why/how this happened.

Never a dull moment....

sad story.

given your impressive reconnaissance work, i can't decide if i would love or hate to have you as my neighbor. [smile]

Yeah, great job with the pictures. Better than MassLive!

That is what we could not figure out. The PD were on location, and nobody knew what was going on.
We looked online for info online but found nothing. Fireground 360 does not cover Police activity. I finally had to ask when I drove up.

The shop only has one road in and out. It's a steep 90 foot climb up the back embankment to the railroad tracks, WMECO owns the substation next door which is heavily wooded, and runs along the Green river and eventually leads out to the Mowhawk Trail. The left side of the property is also a hillside, with 3 houses abutting. And about 2 blocks from where the crime took place. The property is also posted no trespassing. It's rare but equipment has been vandalized, storage containers broken into, gas siphoned. But more recently it's been disposing of trash in our dumpster. We have cameras around the building for about a year now.

We see people walking dogs, and homeless who use the railroad from time to time. But someone running through with several cruisers in the area and the office ladies unable to find out information about what is happening put them on edge.

Did not see any news teams, reporters, or cameras, so I snapped some photos to hang up in the break room. I still have the ones I took of the kid who jumped off the French King bridge who lived! (With broken legs, and back)

That is what we could not figure out. The PD were on location, and nobody knew what was going on.
We looked online for info online but found nothing.

A lot of crime goes un-reported, including violent crimes. My town had an armed home invasion a about three years ago. Not something you would expect in this sleepy suburban town full of McMansions. The story was on MetroWestDailyNews.com for about an hour and then mysteriously disappeared. I spoke with a friend in my local PD who confirmed the home invasion.

So, why did the story go unreported by most traditional media outlets? Why did it get wiped from MW Daily News? Was the story supressed for some reason. I have no idea? I can tell you that local PDs are under a lot of pressure to not report crimes in their towns. Hurts home values.

My "Vacation home" (friends retirement home where I spend a few weekends per year" was the end of the line for a high speed chase.
VERY rural New Hampshire, two miles on dirt roads followed by an 1100 foot driveway up a steep hill with switchbacks. The house is built on a high spot and is surrounded by cliffs.
The chase ended with the bad guy ALMOST pulling a Thelma & Louise off the cliff.

I don't remember why the guy rabbited from the NHSP, but he almost ended his run in a smoldering pile on my buddys' property. That (and the OPs story) just goes to show you, it can happen anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom