• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Green heads, 4th of July and a Sandbar at Cranes Beach...

Ok, I might be heading up to Sandy Point Sand bar on the opposite side of Cranes Beach by boat this Fourth of July. I wouldn’t even drive through Ipswich or Plum Island during July because of the green heads, so my question is...are the green heads bad at that sand bar on the opposite side of Cranes beach at Sandy point or is it just the same as being on Cranes beach? If it’s the same I’m out! 😂😂😂🦟

Omg Ipswich greenheads suck!!!!

I used to do tree work part time years ago when I was 17. We had to dump the chip truck on a farm in ispwich. July.....90 degrees.....had to drive the truck down a 1/2 mile dirt road to the dump area.....widows up sweating our balls off cuz the damn greenheads were swarming. We'd do Rock paper scissors to decide who got out to open the tailgate!!!!! Gawd damn I hate those f***ing things.

I get a few at the lake in the heat of the summer. Not a lot. I'll just be on the boat fishing a reed bed and all of a sudden a 747 is attacking my ankle. Pull back 20' and they are non-existent.

Had a boat on the north river in Marshfield. We'd fish the river for stripers and come back with a couple fish and a hundred dead greenheads.

My buddy kept his boat on the Parker River. My God they were terrible. Learned not to slap them as it didn't kill the f***ers. Got to hit and roll them.

Meh, I’ve been there 50-years now boating ... greenheads 1st show up around the 4th and are never an issue. At that time of year they are slow and you can feel them land on you, if anything. Any breeze and you won’t even see them.

FWIW in those years we've tried EVERYTHING and finally found that the Repel brand eucalyptus/lemon (still smells like sh#t ... and nothing like lemons or euco, LOL!) DEET-free bug stuff actually works! But, I sure wouldn’t want to “donate blood the hard way“ out there in the following weeks!

Midges at dusk? OMG ... clouds of them! But luckily, that Repel stuff keeps them away amazingly! Kid friendly (no chemicals) it is too.

whacko, when the loser got out to open the tailgate, would you lock the door and watch him pathetically clawing at the truck window in the ensuing carnage?

CCI shot shells and you're good to go.

One day at a beach in Gloucester, a green head gnawed throught the dead skin armor on my foot in seconds, it drew blood ffS.

I work 2 miles inland from the Rowley Marsh. If the wind is blowing out we don't get them, if it's blowing in we get some.
Usually it's the 3rd week in July that's unbearable, between the mouth of the Annisquam to the mouth of the Merrimack.
Within one mile of the Marsh. I grew up in Mosquito country, I don't even feel them, but Greenheads actually take a bite.

Yup, it’s sucks when one gets in the pilot house while navigating the Annisquam. I’ll have my wife trying to kill the little f***er who always seem to find my ankles! Gotta wait for the next full moon high tide to drown them all.

whacko, when the loser got out to open the tailgate, would you lock the door and watch him pathetically clawing at the truck window in the ensuing carnage?
I chose to assert my 5th amendment privelage.

Back
Top Bottom