• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Green' arms giant's lead-free bullets

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
'Green' arms giant's lead-free bullets

A British arms giant is planning a new range of 'environmentally friendly' weapons - including lead-free bullets.

BAE Systems says it wants to design bullets without lead because it 'can harm the environment and pose a risk to people'.

The company also aims to make 'quieter' warheads to cut noise pollution and 'eco-friendly' rockets, reports The Sun.

Scientists are also working on bio-degradable explosives and grenades that produce less harmful smoke.

BAE director Dr Debbie Allen said: "Weapons are going to be used, and when they are we try to make them as safe to the user as possible to limit the collateral damage.

"We also try to impact as little as possible on the environment."

But Campaign Against Arms Trade spokesman Symon Hill said: "This is laughable. They make weapons to kill people. It's utterly ridiculous."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2000057.html?menu=news.quirkies

"We want kinder and gentler distruction." "We want to kill you without hurting your feelings or the feelings of the dear and the antelope at play."

"We want kinder and gentler distruction [sic] ." "We want to kill you without hurting your feelings or the feelings of the dear [sic] and the antelope at play."

There are no such quotes in the article.

Moreover, much of the ordnance produced is used in training, which is conducted primarily in the home nation. Thus, the absence of lead and other heavy metals would be very beneficial.

As it would also reduce exposure in the production of the ordnance, the factories and those who work in/live near them would also benefit.

Finally, I would expect a trickle-down effect as the same process is applied to civilian ammo production, as well as the eventual liquidation of surplus stocks on the civilian market.

Let's see if it actually works before denigrating an intelligent effort.

I was joking. I'm glad some got it.

I've learned on the many boards I paticipate in how easily the written word can be mis-interpreted. I try not to be offended.

I can also appreciate Scrivener's legal back ground and his making it clear that my quotes (spelling errors, wrong words and all) were not in the article.

Point and counter point. That's what debate is. We can still all be friends.

I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.
- Plutarch

As the amount of land for shooting ranges gets smaller and smaller, and surrounded by more residential areas, it is important to try to do something to reduce the amount of lead we are dumping into the ground.

Also, after we incinerate Saudi Arabia, we don't want to make it too toxic for our oil company workers to do their jobs.

Newsflash: lead is an inert metal in all but seriously acidic soil.

Newsflash: military bullets are encapsulated in copper, except for a spot at the base. Virtually all civilian bullets have little to no lead exposed.

Newsflash: There are literally millions of pounds of copper-jacketed lead bullets at the bottom of Lake Erie just off the shore of Camp Perry. The lake is still safe to swim, fish, and drink.

This is typical British stupidity.

Newsflash: lead is an inert metal in all but seriously acidic soil.

Newsflash: military bullets are encapsulated in copper, except for a spot at the base. Virtually all civilian bullets have little to no lead exposed.

Newsflash: There are literally millions of pounds of copper-jacketed lead bullets at the bottom of Lake Erie just off the shore of Camp Perry. The lake is still safe to swim, fish, and drink.

This is typical British stupidity.

newsflash: copper jacketed bullets turn into splatters of exposed lead when they hit something.

BAE Systems says it wants to design bullets without lead because it 'can harm the environment and pose a risk to people'

hilarious! kinda.... [thinking]

newsflash: copper jacketed bullets turn into splatters of exposed lead when they hit something.
So? Does the lead now become soluble automatically? I don't think so.

Be careful what you wish for. Ask duck hunters if the ammo they have to use now is as cheap AND effective as lead.

BAE Systems says it wants to design bullets without lead because it 'can harm the environment and pose a risk to people'

hilarious! kinda.... [thinking]

Lead can and does do each of those things. Try thinking about the issue for more than a nanosecond and you'll realize it includes exposures before and after firing a shot. [rolleyes]

Lead can and does do each of those things. Try thinking about the issue for more than a nanosecond and you'll realize it includes exposures before and after firing a shot. [rolleyes]

Missed my point by a mile. Granted, wasn't that funny anyway. I found it humourous in the context of actual combat; that one might be worried about lead exposure. -sort of last thing on your mind? Oh well.

That's BASF and yes Scriv I do remember Tom Slick and George and Gertie and Marigold.........[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] Oh and Baron Otto Matic

Don't forget the Baron's mechanic, Klutz!

OK, Ace - what was Tom Slick's themesong?

I'll give partial credit for the name of his car. [wink]

Tom Slick tom slick let me tell you why he's the best of all good guys
tom slick tom slick in the thunderbolt grease slapper when he's on your tail he won't fail because to him there's no such word as fail to tom slick tom slick
I thought the baron's henchman was clutcher and yes I hvae way to much time on my hands

Back
Top Bottom