Greed infecting Massachusetts deer season

What a crock.

The fact is that the MA deer population is growing ever larger and is far larger than optimal. Our local suburban rag covers our town and the neighboring town. Reading the police blotter, in each town there's an average of at least one car/deer collision a week.

We desperately need to reduce the number of deer.

The number of hunters is growing ever smaller.

The new law allows you to have two deer. It doesn't say a damn thing about how much time must elapse between killing them.

Other than the fact that most of my wife's hostas mysteriously dissappeared last year (and all the rose bushes the year before that), the large dog-like shadows that moved back and forth through our back yard all last winter (leaving hoof tracks), and the solid 8-point buck that a member took on the club grounds last week, I've seen absolutely no evidence of deer anywhere around here. I tend to discount the weekly reports in the police blotter of deer-car collisions as simply another version of alien spacecraft (or Elvis) sightings.

Ken

As a former Fish and Wildlife Management major (and remembering the lectures abotu deer) here is what one MUST do to control deer population:

First and formost, educate hunters that its ok to shoot a doe. We can kill all the bucks we want, but since a single doe actually on average drops 2 fawns each spring the numbers just grow exponentially from there.

Second, look at opening up rifle shooting in the western part of the state where there is not as much urban sprawl. This is not required but I refuse to hunt with a shotgun because even with a slug, I am not confident in the accuracy that I have with my rifle. Also, allow shooting from tree stands. This is a safety issue, but makes sense. If a hunter misses a deer with his shot, it will most likely imbed into the wood and not travel a few hundred yards til it hits something or loses energy. I know the arguements but if your climbing a tree with a loaded gun, do we really need your iq in the gene pool?

Third - Promote hunting as a positive thing. It doesn't even have to be pro-gun, just pro-hunting. Have pics of father's and son's in the woods with bows.

The hunting stigma around here is insane and I refuse to shy away from things I like to do, and this includes shooting. I am PROUD of my ability and don't act like its something dirty.

If we ourselves project that our sport is in someways wrong in how we shun away and not proudly declare we do it, why should the public change their view on it? I mean, they hide and deny to others what they do.

First and formost, educate hunters that its ok to shoot a doe.
Every hunter that I know will gladly shoot a doe, provided he's got a doe permit. Here in zone 10, you can get about as many doe permits as you want.

That isn't the problem.

The problem is 1) time and 2) hunting access. Allowing Sunday hunting would greatly increase #1. #2 is a tougher issue.

Skald,

Does MA actually stock 40,000 Pheasants annually like the site claims they do? I would be surprised if it was over 10K. In talking with other hunters from around the state, close to a dozen, I would guess the harvest was quite low.

I learned my stuff in Michigan. But I think it could have. Remember that pheasant can choose to run instead of burst up. I really don't think they stock 40k. If they did this state should have one of the top pheasant areas for success in the US. I would think its more like 4,000.

Skald said:
I learned my stuff in Michigan. But I think it could have. Remember that pheasant can choose to run instead of burst up. I really don't think they stock 40k. If they did this state should have one of the top pheasant areas for success in the US. I would think its more like 4,000.

I was thinking the same thing. They claim 40K each year. I have yet to see anywhere near the numbers. That 40k is also in a 6 week period. And oh ya, no hunting on Sundays. When I asked why they said and I quote "There hasn't been hunting on Sundays in decades" So at least they have a good reason for taking out half of the weekend hunting days during an already short season. [roll]

40,000 pheasants is a lot of birds. Now they could and not release them all at once too. Which I think they do. So even before the season starts you have birds dieing from starvation (not really adapting to finding food), Predators as well as disease. Also, with the space limits it makes most sense. You can easily raise 40,000+ fish in a small barn while 40,000 pheasant need a ton of space.

derek said:
And oh ya, no hunting on Sundays. When I asked why they said and I quote "There hasn't been hunting on Sundays in decades" So at least they have a good reason for taking out half of the weekend hunting days during an already short season. [roll]

Start with a cage containing five apes. In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, an ape will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the apes with cold water. After a while, another ape makes an attempt with the same result - all the apes are sprayed with cold water. Turn off the cold water. If, later, another ape tries to climb the stairs, the other apes will try to prevent it even though no water sprays them.

Now, remove one ape from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new ape sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other apes attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five apes and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm.

Again, replace a third original ape with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four apes that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest ape.

After replacing the fourth and fifth original apes, all the apes which have been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no ape ever again approaches the stairs. Why not? Because that's the way it's always been around here. Sounds familiar?

Ken

When we were stationed at Devens,we lived not to far from the Ayer Pheasant Farm. Don't know if it is still there,but when we'd walk by there there was a ton of bird.
Alot of what they stock here will usually fall prey to the coyotes. When Glenn and Alan were hunting they'd have no problems getting their limits.
I have even considered raising pheasants.

Back
Top Bottom