• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Great results with a weird brass experience

The short story is I had 8 pieces (out of 100) of Hornady 6.5 CM once fired brass from factory ammunition that would not pass a case gauge test After full length resizing. I caught this before reloading them. I FL resized them twice more ( once Hornady die, once RCBS die) But they still would not go all the way into either of two different case gauges. I measured with calipers but found nothing out of spec.

I chambered these 8 cases in both my 6.5 CM rifles with firing pin assembly removed and they had no resistance. Based on that I loaded them but kept them segregated.

with no change in scope setting I shot the pictured 5 shot group. With an overall measure of .460 and a center to center measure of .2 inch it is smallest group I have shot with this rifle. Normally I would expect .5 to .6 inch with this rifle so the fact it was so small is likely a statistical anomal.

Any thoughts on why these pieces of brass would not fully resize? I’m baffled.

For those that want more details

off the eight shells that would not resize I sent the other three rounds downrange and hit 10” steel at 500 yards. So typical performance

Attachments

• 12FFEF34-EDAB-4016-8667-3284F035C99D.jpeg
    12FFEF34-EDAB-4016-8667-3284F035C99D.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
More info

After shooting the 8 pieces of brass, they still would not chamber in case gauge after another resizing.

This winter I processed 600 pieces of once fired brass that I had bought as new brass plus a couple hundred 2 or 3 times fired brass that started as factory ammo. All passed case gauge check.

The lot of brass in question that had the eight oddball pieces was 100 pieces of once fired Hornady factory ammo. Two boxes of hunting ELD X, and three boxes of 147 ELD match ammo. Two boxes of the match ammo I used in a PRS match so it is possible I got brass from someone else’s rifle returned to me. However I color code my brass and usually check it. I’d be surprised if of the forty pieces of brass I got back 8 of someone else, but it could have happened.

Last edited:
More info

After shooting the 8 pieces of brass, they still would not chamber in case gauge after another resizing.

This winter I processed 600 pieces of once fired brass that I had bought as new brass plus a couple hundred 2 or 3 times fired brass that started as factory ammo. All passed case gauge check.

The lot of brass in question that had the eight oddball pieces was 100 pieces of one fired Hornady factory ammo. Two boxes of hunting ELD X, and three boxes of 147 ELD match ammo. Two boxes of the match ammo I used in a PRS match so it is possible I got brass from someone else’s rifle returned to me. However I color code my brass and usually check it. I’d be surprised if of the forty pieces of brass I git back 8 of someone else, but it could have happened.
Need to push the neck back? Was that one of your measurements?

More springback would be my guess. I honestly don’t know how you could measure the susceptibility to springback since it may be a variation in wall thickness or the metallurgy of those particular pieces of brass.

I'm too busy being jealous of that group.

This.

I would say, provided hte pressure isn't spiking, you've got the bullerts better in place with those 8 cartridges. Fire formed. Length is just right. Ojive. Runout. All that. It's been too long since I used all that stuff. LOL

Sharpie the cases and see where they are getting stuck.
Most bottleneck dies don't size way down on the case. If that's where they hit then toss them or get a small base die

Yes but it came with a matching man bun, capri pants, and loafers without socks cuz 6.5
I'm a cyclist and a theater kid (not to mention my other proclivities). I'll shoot in a skirt and shave everything if it'll give me that group.
jennifer lawrence everything GIF

Yes but it came with a matching man bun, capri pants, and loafers without socks cuz 6.5
It’s been a few decades since I had enough hair on my head to do much of anything. But back in the day I was a pony tail guy. My wife tells grand kids that and they just laugh. I did wear loafers and sneaks without socks
Sharpie the cases and see where they are getting stuck.
Most bottleneck dies don't size way down on the case. If that's where they hit then toss them or get a small base die

I am going to reload them the way the are and shoot another group

I'm too busy being jealous of that group.
shoot enough groups and probabilities catch up where you shoot one where all the variables worked for you. If I can replicate it then we are talking but it’s highly unlikely.

No idea what the OP issue is, but f*ck it, those 8 cases shoot great, don't worry about it.

Also, my opinion is that Hornady brass is sh*t. But my opinion is also that people should do whatever works for them. The OP hits 10" at 500, and a really nice 5 shot group. Keep doing whatever you are doing.

well I remember a time before case gauges and the normal practice was if they fit your guns in that caliber (especially one) you were good to go. (this was with bolt action especially.) the idea being that fireforming them to one or two guns chamber would be optimal. your mileage may vary.

Isn't the point of a case guage to go / no-go cases? Trash the eight and move on with life.

Meh. So they don't fit your gauge. They seem to fit your chamber well and they certainly shoot. I've had 9mm that didn't gauge, but plunk tests fine.

Meh. So they don't fit your gauge. They seem to fit your chamber well and they certainly shoot. I've had 9mm that didn't gauge, but plunk tests fine.
This.
Case gauge isn’t identical to the OP’s rifle chamber. I never bothered with case gauges. I’d always just make a couple dummy rounds and run them through my rifles to see if they chamber. I’m not a long range PRS shooter though.

I don't case gauge bolt gun ammo. I full length resize in a bushing die and then mandrel the neck.

That said, I don't know anybody using Hornady brass and expecting repeatable results. I don't have any personal experience but I've never heard anyone who's used it say anything good.

That said, I don't know anybody using Hornady brass and expecting repeatable results. I don't have any personal experience but I've never heard anyone who's used it say anything good.
I've heard the same

This.
Case gauge isn’t identical to the OP’s rifle chamber. I never bothered with case gauges. I’d always just make a couple dummy rounds and run them through my rifles to see if they chamber. I’m not a long range PRS shooter though.
have your gunsmith make you a gauge from the reamer he used when he chambered the barrel.

No idea what the OP issue is, but f*ck it, those 8 cases shoot great, don't worry about it.

Also, my opinion is that Hornady brass is sh*t. But my opinion is also that people should do whatever works for them. The OP hits 10" at 500, and a really nice 5 shot group. Keep doing whatever you are doing.
I've heard the same
what I have generally HEARD is after the third firing Hornady brass starts having loose primer pockets and other issues that degrade accuracy.

My EXPERIENCE so far (limited to 6.5 CM) is through 3 reloadings is so far so good. we will see what happens. I am only loading them to duplicate factory speeds with 147 grain bullets, So not loading hot like some others. At the same time I have some Lapua brass ordered. 😊

have your gunsmith make you a gauge from the reamer he used when he chambered the barrel.
Unfortunately I am the “gunsmith” who assembled this rifle. It’s a criterion remage barrel, so I only had to headspace it but no reamer involved

Isn't the point of a case guage to go / no-go cases? Trash the eight and move on with life.

You would think, right?

But in my reloading process, usually upon returning from range I deprime brass and throw in tumbler to clean. So brass that is clean and lacking a primer is not necessarily ready to reload, and in spite of my best effort to keep good notes I once screwed up and reloaded 20 rounds that had not been resized.

So before starting to reload a batch of brass, I check a few cases with the case gauge that I really truly full length resized them, and the sizing die was set correctly.

As far as the eight oddball cases, they were immediately removed from my practice / match ammo. I am just screwing around with them (experimenting if you will) for giggles and maybe I learn something before tossing them

This.
I don't even own a case gauge.

The only gauge I own is a Wilson to measure shoulder bump.

Back
Top Bottom