Reptile

NES Member
Great new water bottle filtration system

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/index.html
$230

Article here:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354735,00.html

"There's a reason they call it the "Lifesaver."

On the outside, it looks like an ordinary sports bottle. On the inside, there's a miracle: an extremely advanced filtration system that makes murky water filled with deadly viruses and bacteria completely clean in just seconds.

The Lifesaver removes 99.999 percent of water-borne pathogens and reduces heavy metals like lead, meaning even the filthiest water can be cleaned — immediately.

It will be a boon to soldiers in the field, so it's winning accolades from the military.

It also stands to revolutionize humanitarian aid. It could be the first weapon in the fight against disease after a natural disaster, like the one in Myanmar this week.

I attended the Lifesaver’s launch at DSEi London, the world’s largest arms fair. Its inventor provided a pool of dirty pond water as a test subject, and I drank some after it was filtered. Not only did it look pure once it passed through the Lifesaver, it tasted pure, too......."

Echo....I think once the price comes down it will be a nice tool for survival. I still have my 1994 PUR Scout 2000 PUR Hiker and my more recently purchased MSR that serve me well. I have not tried the UV wands and the self contained water bottle systems, but likely will once they become more cost effective.

The thing that I think would kill these water bottle filters, is the lack of a pre filter.
I was thinking the same thing and then I saw this:

"Pre-filter disc / scavenging sponge LIFESAVER bottle is supplied with a pre-filter disc. This protects the membranes from objects such as gravel, sand, sticks and mud, prolonging the life of the LIFESAVER cartridge. Your pre-filter disc may also be used as a sponge. Use it to soak up water from those hard to reach areas like cracks in rocks or shallow puddles."

I also noticed that one filter cartridge will handle 1056 US gallons of water before replacement. The cartridges are $29 bucks a pop. I had expected them to be a lot more expensive or have a shorter life span. I like the fact that it uses no chemicals to clean the water. I think the downside is the way it's filled. I like to keep my clean water receptacles away from unfiltered water to avoid accidental contamination. This design necessitates that you dump dirty water into the base of your clean water receptacle. I could imagine situations where you could easily spill the unfiltered water down the side and contaminate the "chew-proof replaceable drinking teat", though it does look like it's protected beneath a water tight seal. Still, in my experience it doesn't take much unfiltered water to make you sick. I also wonder about durability.

If it comes down $100, I'll buy one!

I also noticed that one filter cartridge will handle 1056 US gallons of water before replacement. The cartridges are $29 bucks a pop. I had expected them to be a lot more expensive

They are. The carbon inserts are only $30, the filter cartridge itself is $150 for the model 4000UF and $200 for the model 6000UF

Back
Top Bottom