Great morning

bdb

NES Member
I had high hopes for this AM. Weather was cold, the rut is kicking in and I had a good stand on a property that is trying to reduce the deer population.

Got up at 4, was on stand at 5:20. First deer appeared at 7 and 3 archery bucks were down by 7:30.

Around 7 I saw what looked like a year and a half old doe coming in. Found out after the fact it was a chubby button buck. Slight quarrying away 15 yards, entered high behind left shoulder and an exit is low right shoulder, it sprinted 50 yards and fell. 15 mins later the 8pt came in behind me but out of range and was headed away. I gave him a few soft grunts to catch his attention and then I heard another one coming in from a different direction. I looked up and the forky (almost a 5pt but only 1/2" extra point) came trotting in and stopped. Shot him at 12 yards. 10 mins later the 8 point circled back and walked right up my left side at 15 yards and I punched him too. Never even stood up, all 3 were left shots (I'm a righty) into a good lane. They all fell within 50 yards of the shot and I gathered them up for the photo and started to work.

Great morning but then started a whole lot of gutting, dragging skinning and getting them on ice. I donated the forky to the organization that owns the property and does an annual cookout. My 11 year old daughter and I will butcher the other two this week.

Anyway, I had a hell of a day but am wiped out and ready for bed. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• deer2.jpg
    deer2.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 175
nice shootin! especially shooting with your nondominant side. you will enjoy the fruits of your labor for months to come. and very nice to dress them with your daughter and teach her that skill. +1 dad

Thanks! The shots were all on deer to my left side and as a righty they are perfect setups without having to twist around or move much and give away my position :)

Didn’t know you could shoot three in one day in mass.
You can’t unless your are in Zone 13 and 14. Anywhere else in Ma is a 2 possession daily limit. If Zone 13 and 14 then daily limit is 4. As many tags as you have you can fill annually. I’ll assume he didn’t arrow these three in Ma unless on the Cape Islands or in a different state altogether.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for this AM. Weather was cold, the rut is kicking in and I had a good stand on a property that is trying to reduce the deer population.

Got up at 4, was on stand at 5:20. First deer appeared at 7 and 3 archery bucks were down by 7:30.

Around 7 I saw what looked like a year and a half old doe coming in. Found out after the fact it was a chubby button buck. Slight quarrying away 15 yards, entered high behind left shoulder and an exit is low right shoulder, it sprinted 50 yards and fell. 15 mins later the 8pt came in behind me but out of range and was headed away. I gave him a few soft grunts to catch his attention and then I heard another one coming in from a different direction. I looked up and the forky (almost a 5pt but only 1/2" extra point) came trotting in and stopped. Shot him at 12 yards. 10 mins later the 8 point circled back and walked right up my left side at 15 yards and I punched him too. Never even stood up, all 3 were left shots (I'm a righty) into a good lane. They all fell within 50 yards of the shot and I gathered them up for the photo and started to work.

Great morning but then started a whole lot of gutting, dragging skinning and getting them on ice. I donated the forky to the organization that owns the property and does an annual cookout. My 11 year old daughter and I will butcher the other two this week.

Anyway, I had a hell of a day but am wiped out and ready for bed. Here's a couple of pics.
Congrats!

Is this in mass?

If it is.....Not to be a dick......but Did you check the first 2 before you continued hunting. Your allowed 2 unchecked deer in your possession unless hunting the islands zones 13 and 14.

You can check then in online.

Last edited:
You can’t unless your are in Zone 13 and 14. Anywhere else in Ma is a 2 possession daily limit. If Zone 13 and 14 then daily limit is 4. As many tags as you have you can fill annually. I’ll assume he didn’t arrow these three in Ma unless on the Cape Islands or in a different state altogether.
Not 100% accurate. You absolutely can shoot 3 or more deer in one day in mass..... It's not a two deer per day posession limit......Your allowed 2 unchecked deer in your possession. If you take two deer early......you can check those....then continue to hunt.

I'm assuming the op is hunting zones 13 or 14.

if not I assume he did an online check of the first 2 with his smart phone before he continued hunting and got the third. Given his self proclaimed 30 minutes to down 3 deer (says deer appeared at 7am and 3 down by 7:30) I have suspicions.......I really hope this was zones 13 or 14.....or another state.

However ....if he did all three one after the other online....the system will show the times he checked them in.......and I'd recommend he delete this thread......especially given the photos of his truck and himself.

Op....I'm not assuming anything was done wrong here......just providing some advice to help a fellow hunters out.

Congrats on the successful day!!!

Last edited:
Didn’t know you could shoot three in one day in mass.
If you check the first 2 yes. The reg is two unchecked deer in posession.......so you can check two......and if there is daylight left continue to hunt.

Zones 13-14 you there is a 4 unchecked deer limit.

Last edited:
From the regs:
DAILY BAG: The daily bag limit is determined by the number of valid tags or permits a hunter possesses and whether or not the hunter has checked/reported any deer. No hunter may have more than
2 unreported deer in possession at any time, with the exception of Zones 13 and 14, where no hunter may have more than 4
unreported deer in possession at any time. All deer must be checked/reported within 48 hours of being killed.

From the regs:
DAILY BAG: The daily bag limit is determined by the number of valid tags or permits a hunter possesses and whether or not the hunter has checked/reported any deer. No hunter may have more than
2 unreported deer in possession at any time, with the exception of Zones 13 and 14, where no hunter may have more than 4
unreported deer in possession at any time. All deer must be checked/reported within 48 hours of being killed.
Correct. So you can report the two.......now you have zero unreported deer in posession and can continue to hunt if you have tags left

I know the regs my friend.

Correct. So you can report the two.......now you have zero unreported deer in posession and can continue to hunt if you have tags left

I know the regs my friend.
I was only posting that for others who may happen upon this thread. I know you know your stuff.

Yes MA. First one dropped within sight and I registered it online while sitting in the tree giving it time even though it was down. The other two were registered online once I recovered them. I never had more than 2 in possession that weren't registered. It's good to know about the "2 unregistered" in posession. Never something I have considered much since it's so easy to register on line right from the tree.

Yes MA. First one dropped within sight and I registered it online while sitting in the tree giving it time even though it was down. The other two were registered online once I recovered them. I never had more than 2 in possession that weren't registered. It's good to know about the "2 unregistered" in posession. Never something I have considered much since it's so easy to register on line right from the tree.
Nice job.

Again ......wasn't assuming anything .....just trying to help you out in case you were not aware of the reg.

Thanks everyone. It is a good reminder Wacko as in the heat of things it's easy to miss a small detail like this. At least MA has the online registration. NH is more a PITA since you have to take it out and register it before hunting again.

Thanks everyone. It is a good reminder Wacko as in the heat of things it's easy to miss a small detail like this. At least MA has the online registration. NH is more a PITA since you have to take it out and register it before hunting again.
First week of shotgun season is live check in mass as well.

Used to be all of shotgun season was live check.

Have to account for that.

Was just trying to look out for a fellow hunter. That post could have got you in a bit of hot water.

Was just trying to look out for a fellow hunter. That post could have got you in a bit of hot water.

Appreciate that! Like gun laws here, even with the best intentions you can still run afoul of a reg if you aren't careful!

Good shooting!

If you want to lower the population shoot the does and let the bucks grow. Every doe you shoot is 2-3 less deer per year after.

Good shooting!

If you want to lower the population shoot the does and let the bucks grow. Every doe you shoot is 2-3 less deer per year after.

OK, I gotta know - who wants LESS deer????? I've seen a grand total of a SINGLE buck in 25 years at my house. Plenty of deer. One buck 10 years ago. Although a neighbor up the street took a nice pic of one a week or two ago.

At least in my AO, the coyotes take enough that dough-harvest is just going to lead to herd decline.

But seriously - is there anyone in the Northeast that is thinking, "Wow, we've got too many deer here!"???? I mean besides the Islands. Because they're plumb crazy. "We got too many deer, but don't shoot them. They are too cute." Well. . . .. F off then!

OK, I gotta know - who wants LESS deer????? I've seen a grand total of a SINGLE buck in 25 years at my house. Plenty of deer. One buck 10 years ago. Although a neighbor up the street took a nice pic of one a week or two ago.

At least in my AO, the coyotes take enough that dough-harvest is just going to lead to herd decline.

But seriously - is there anyone in the Northeast that is thinking, "Wow, we've got too many deer here!"???? I mean besides the Islands. Because they're plumb crazy. "We got too many deer, but don't shoot them. They are too cute." Well. . . .. F off then!
I’ve seen tons of deer. Just on cameras only. They’re smart. In one week on one camera 4 different bucks were picked up within a 36 hour timeframe so they are definitely out there in large numbers. I’m central Ma and there are copious forests and marshes. The marshes nobody traverses except the most hard nosed buck hunters.

There are places I hunt in CT that are supposedly 60 deer per square mile. While I don't agree with the numbers anymore...when I first started hunting there, I did.
There were a metric shxt ton of deer, and I could have killed 4 a day with the bow. I still can kill 2 a day probably in a good day.

In MA, other than the Islands, i think there is no overpopulation. There may seem to be a lot of deer in the east, but there arent a lot of woods, so little herds bop around between woodlots.

Most other states south and west of us have way the heck more deer than we will ever have per square mile. People in this state don't know what its like to have deer, if your not seeing them daily, you really don't have that many deer.

I’ve seen tons of deer. Just on cameras only. They’re smart. In one week on one camera 4 different bucks were picked up within a 36 hour timeframe so they are definitely out there in large numbers. I’m central Ma and there are copious forests and marshes. The marshes nobody traverses except the most hard nosed buck hunters.

Right now bucks are cruising........you should be seeing a few on camera if your in a decent spot. If they are there during the day, that's a spot to hunt.

Let me know how that same camera is in September.......doubt your seeing crap. That's how it is in MA, its OK during the rut, any other time its rough. Contrast that to my CT cams....I'll see lots of deer year round, that's when you know you have a good herd.

Back
Top Bottom