• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gray Squirrel season

I cleaned up the Gamo pellet gun and went downstairs. When my dog saw me carrying the pellet rifle she started crying . . . she knows what the pellet rifle means. In the past I would shoot the squirrels out of trees and she would retrieve them. No luck yet. I will post pics when I bag one.

Went to the Squannacook River WMA on Saturday. Didn't see any squirrel, but we did see a chipmunk and deer tracks. A lot of evergreens and maples there, but a few nut/acorn bearing trees around.

Went to the Squannacook River WMA on Saturday. Didn't see any squirrel, but we did see a chipmunk and deer tracks. A lot of evergreens and maples there, but a few nut/acorn bearing trees around.

careful for that river, veerrryy dirty water [thinking]

Didn't see any squirrel, but we did see a chipmunk and deer tracks.
This is what I have been experiencing as well. I've gone out at dawn, which is when they are supposedly most active, practiced my still/stalk hunting for a couple hours and nothing...
Maybe it is just my inexperience as I've never hunted before. I suspect a squirrel would be more adept at avoiding me than I would be at finding him. I'll just keep at it I guess, last time I went out I did hear some critters eating/cutting in the trees as I walked in. But this was too close to the houses in the area to attempt a shot so I didn't spend any time trying to see if they were greys.

In Mass.

The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck.

Crow season is also open (Fri, Sat & Mon only), and Snapping Turtle is open all year.

Very nice Sparkey!

At least you're having some luck. The only thing I've caught is a cold. I was planning on going hunting today, but over the course of the day I felt worse and worse. I'm sitting here with blocked sinuses, ears and throat aching, and the chills.

That would be what us in the fine furniture business call "flame birch". Sweet stock for a $120 gun!!

And aren't these made in Gardner? Isn't Gardner a big furniture town? Nice looking gun! I like the ammo holder as well. Bet it makes for quick follow up shots.

I havent gone out this year but here is a shot from last year.

CALOIDLJ-1.jpg

Got any details on that gun? Nice photo.

I did just that. I went out and bought a .410 just for small game like squirrel. I figured it'd be a good way to start hunting for the first time. I plan on trying for deer as well when the season opens.

With the .410? Nice!

In Mass.

The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck.

Crow season is also open (Fri, Sat & Mon only), and Snapping Turtle is open all year.

Now you got me wondering. I need to go see if there is a game season calendar here on NES. Anyone know?

Last edited:
And aren't these made in Gardner? Isn't Gardner a big furniture town? Nice looking gun! I like the ammo holder as well. Bet it makes for quick follow up shots.

Got any details on that gun? Nice photo.

With the .410? Nice!

Now you got me wondering. I need to go see if there is a game season calendar here on NES. Anyone know?

will this help? its not a calendar but it is from the abstracts.

Crow Jul. 1 - Apr. 10, 2010

Pheasant Oct. 17 - Nov. 28

Quail Oct. 17 - Nov. 28

Ruffed Grouse Oct. 17 - Nov. 28

Turkey (Fall) Zones 1 - 9; 13: Oct. 26 - Oct. 31
Zones 10,11,12 not listed (no fall hunt?)

Black Bear Nov. 2 - Nov. 21

Cottontail Rabbit Zones 1 - 12 Oct. 17 - Feb. 27, 2010
Zones 13 & 14 Nov. 16 - Feb. 27, 2010

Jackrabbit Nov. 16 - Dec. 31

Snowshoe Hare Zones 1 - 4 Oct. 17 - Feb. 27, 2010
Zones 5 - 12 Oct. 17 - Feb. 5, 2010
Zones 13 & 14 Nov. 16 - Feb. 5 , 2010

Coyote Oct. 17 - Mar. 8, 2010

Deer (archery) Oct. 12 - Nov. 21
Deer (shotgun) Zones 1 - 11,13,14 Nov. 30 - Dec. 12
Zone 12 - Nov. 30 - Dec. 5
Deer (primitive firearms) Dec. 14 - Dec. 31

Fox (red or gray) Nov. 2 - Feb. 27, 2010

Gray Squirrel Zones 1 - 9 Sep. 14 - Jan. 2 , 2010
Zones 10 -14 Oct. 17 - Jan. 2 , 2010

Opossum Oct. 1 - Jan. 30, 2010

Raccoon Oct. 1 - Jan. 30, 2010

Bullfrog & Green frog Jul. 16 - Sep. 30

Snapping Turtle Jan. 1 - Dec. 31

NOTE for ease i put the rabbits and squirrels together they are not that way in the abstracts. also i only listed the dates still in effect for this year.

you can read them for yourself Here

I went out on opening day after work, didn't get a shot. They were around. So much cover with the leaves, I heard one munching away dropping hickory nut shells, but I couldn't find him.
I had been waiting to stake out a beech I found too late last year, but no action.

Got out one saturday since then, saw two that I couldn't get shots at. I hunt with a 17HMR. I used a shotgun a few times out last year, had one that I shot run into a hole to die where I couldn't get at him. That was my last time out with the shotgun.

Last year was my first season at it, most I took home in one day was 3.

I guess its time to take mine for a walk!

+1!

I can't wait to get out this year (taking the class now...should have my lic by the end of the month).

What load would you recommend for a 12ga? That's all I have, and just picked up another one so I don't think I can swing a new .410 too.

Quick question on squirrel hunting... I can't use a rifle due to my being in zone 11. I only have a 12 gauge. 410's seem hard to come by in stores. What about using a 28 gauge instead?

You can use any legal hunting firearm - doesn't have to be 410 - 12, 16, 20, 28 will all fit the bill. Get the lightest loads you can find - #8 or lighter if possible

I prefer the .22 for the challenge - often a 22 revolver or a rifle with CB's to keep it a close game.

Keep it fun and enjoy the season.

hunt safely

You can use any legal hunting firearm - doesn't have to be 410 - 12, 16, 20, 28 will all fit the bill. Get the lightest loads you can find - #8 or lighter if possible

I prefer the .22 for the challenge - often a 22 revolver or a rifle with CB's to keep it a close game.

Keep it fun and enjoy the season.

hunt safely

Even a good air rifle. Nice and quiet so it doesn't scare any away.

I know its not gray, I never see them when I'm prepared.

Taken with Gamo 640 pellet rifle
IMG00215.jpg

Back
Top Bottom