• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gray Squirrel season

Bron's Classsic firearms in Sturbridge had the saiga .410 in stock last time I was in there.
Using a 28 gauge would be fine I have used everything from 12,16,20, 410. The 12 actually is to bad this time of year with foilage on the trees but not much of a challenge as a smaller shottie.
You are right 12.99 a box is crazy I might look into setting up one of my reloaders for .410

Bron's Classsic firearms in Sturbridge had the saiga .410 in stock last time I was in there.
Using a 28 gauge would be fine I have used everything from 12,16,20, 410. The 12 actually is to bad this time of year with foilage on the trees but not much of a challenge as a smaller shottie.
You are right 12.99 a box is crazy I might look into setting up one of my reloaders for .410

Good call! I totally forgot about Bron's. I live about 15 minutes from there. He's got a wall of about 20 shotguns. I'm sure he's got some .410's in the mix.

Dick's Sporting Goods had a decent choice of .410's.

-Single shot H&R
-Mossberg 500E
-Stoeger O/U

Its worth a trip to your local DSG to see if they have any in stock.

I was talking to Dick at Nick's Sport Shop and he said he could order a Saiga in .410

That would be awesome for squirrel!!!

Hmmm... I'l'l have to check out the dicks near me and see what they have. I know Zero Hour near me sells Saiga's, but I don't think I want to buy it just for squirrel, lol. They are a little out of the price range I want to be in, but that would be nice!

The H&R fits the bill well. I took my new one out today and its easy to carry, shoulders nice, and has absolutely no recoil. For the $119.99 I paid for it NEW, it can't be beat.

It actually looks like a shotgun. The Mossberg .410 looked and felt like a toy.

If I were to get the O/U Stoeger, (which I believe has a 22lr 2nd barrel) whats the legality of using that while I'm hunting for squirrel in a location where I can't use a rifle? I would assume that is this state, it'd be a bad thing to do...

Quick question on squirrel hunting... I can't use a rifle due to my being in zone 11. I only have a 12 gauge. 410's seem hard to come by in stores. What about using a 28 gauge instead?

12 or 28GA would be fine. We use #4 shot or #6 minimum in a pinch.

Went out this afternoon didn't see one squirrel but kicked up a grouse and two does. It was still a good time and helps me relax after a long week.

Between us 3 this morning we flushed 3 grouse, saw a doe and a forkhorn, a red squirrel (non-shooter for us) and one grey moving too fast to get a shot at. Oh, and beaucoup moose sign. And yup, it was relaxing.

Its suprising after seeing squirrel around your house and how they let you get close with no fear of you how different they act out in the woods a bit. So often they will always stay on the back side of the tree.
I was in my climbing tree stand black powder deer hunting and I made the mistake of setting my climbing tree stand up in a tree that belonged to a red squirrel. He started in the trees beside me then ended in the same tree above me in a branch about 4 feet over my head. and squalking up a storm.
I could see the headlines " Hunter with 50 cal attacked by red squirrel". Tough little SOB.

I thought varmint hunting did not require a license? Such as nuisance animals like Ground Hog or Raccoon?

I think if you read the regs/abstracts (available on the mass wildlife website), the only creatures which do not require hunting licenses are frogs and maybe snapping turtles.

That would be what us in the fine furniture business call "flame birch". Sweet stock for a $120 gun!!

Here's some quick shots of the .410. Just took it out of the box & wrapper. Its got almost a tiger stripe look to it.

DSC01630.JPG

With 9 round Allen buttstock rifle ammunition carrier:

DSC016271.JPG

DSC01628.JPG

It bugs me BIGTIME that it carries 9 rounds and not an even #....[angry]

Has anyone eatten red squirrel I had a good shot at a couple today but did not take them other then being smaller then grays are they any good

Last edited:
So has anyone had any luck yet? I've only seen ONE squirrel in two seperate 3 hour hunting sessions. Didn't get a chance for a shot.

No nothing yet could have got a few red squirrels. Hope to get out thursday after I get off after hours on call they get a little cranky when there is a service call and I am out in the woods.

oooh id love to take my rifle out for some squirrels....need anything special for this? i have never been out before. any places in central ma to go?

Find an area with oak (especially white oak), hickory, or beech. They seem to be most active early in the morning or late in the day. Like most animals, they'll be active when the weather clears after a snow storm.

This time of year you can hear them from a distance either calling or moving in the canopy due to the rustling leaves. The leaves also block their vision, so you can stalk close and get them with a shotgun. If you move when they move, they're less likely to hear you. If you keep tree trunks between you and them, they're less likely to see you. If you spook them, quietly wait for them to forget about you and start moving again... won't be more than 20 mins or so. Stand or sit near a tree trunk so you're less obvious.

When the leaves are down it's harder to get close, so I switch to a .22 and take safe shots on the ground or against a tree trunk. Go to an area where you think there are squirrel; get comfortable, be still, and wait. If nothing's moving after 20 minutes try a different area. A stadium seat pad is nice when things are cold and/or wet.

Squirrel hunting is a waiting and listening game. You're listening for their calling, rustling, and the scratching of their nails on the bark. At the same time you're scanning for movement. Be still and quiet... like a hole in the woods.

It's easy to scout for areas where squirrel live after a fresh snow. You'll see their tracks and digging.

I know all of you know this, but to say it anyway, please do not shoot .22s up into the air.

Haven't gone this year, but had a good opening day last year:

squirrel.jpg

A few people have mentioned the cost of .410 ammo... I bought some Remington #6 promo loads for around 7-8 bucks at BassPro.

Those pics of the 3 squirrels were great. I'd like to see more pics of game taken here on NES. This thread is giving me the itch to go out and grab a .410. I know just the place to get them cheap too. Like others I'll have a problem finding shells. I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think of winter and hunting season.

Those pics of the 3 squirrels were great. I'd like to see more pics of game taken here on NES. This thread is giving me the itch to go out and grab a .410. I know just the place to get them cheap too. Like others I'll have a problem finding shells. I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think of winter and hunting season.

I havent gone out this year but here is a shot from last year.

CALOIDLJ-1.jpg

Not trying to crap up the thread but there aren't any, not one, squirrels in my yard. Usually have half a dozen munching acorns in my oak trees. I know we had a bad acorn harvest last year. I wonder if that's why there are so few here.

I did just that. I went out and bought a .410 just for small game like squirrel. I figured it'd be a good way to start hunting for the first time. I plan on trying for deer as well when the season opens.

We had a GREAT acorn crop this year!!!!!

I just shot a pesky gray yesterday, but didn't take a pic. He's off in the woods somewhere. 60+ foot shot with a high velocity Gamo pellet gun (1300 fps)

Back
Top Bottom