• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gray Squirrel season

Sparkey

NES Member
Squirrel season started today anybody go out or going out? I hope to get out later in the week if its not rainy.

I haven't went out for squirrel since I was 16. I'd love to go but I live in the pines and we only have a couple red squirrels and one gray that I've seen. I'm sure we have a few more but I can't kill them if that's all we have.

All the places I hunted them when I was a kid are condos now.

You can find me in the woods with a .410 or .22 every spare minute I have throughout gray squirrel season. Not only for population control, but coyote bait as well.

oooh id love to take my rifle out for some squirrels....need anything special for this? i have never been out before. any places in central ma to go?

where is a good place (WMA) near Greater Boston? Come to think of it, most of the places I am familiar with are mostly pines as well...

Do you need to wear orange while hunting grey squirrel?

I might go out this evening after work...

EDIT: I asked a co-worker, and he believes you don't need to wear orange when hunting squirrel.

Last edited:
Hunter Orange -No person shall hunt during the pheasant or quail season on public shooting grounds or WMAs where pheasant or quail are stocked without wearing a “hunter orange” cap or hat except while night-hunting for raccoons or opossums, or while hunting waterfowl from a blind or boat.
During the period when it is legal to hunt deer with a shotgun,all hunters,except water fowl hunters hunting within a blind or from a boat, must wear, in a conspicuous manner on chest, back, and head, a minimum of 500 square inches of “hunter orange” clothing or material. During the muzzleloader season deer hunters only must comply with the hunter orange requirement.

From the 2009 Mass regs. So, basically no, not at this time because its not deer season or pheasant or quail season yet.

Last edited:
Excellent. Thank you very much.

I scanned through the regs real quick (at work...) and must have missed that.

finished_chicken.JPG

I never knew we had a season for this. What do they taste like?

I dunno about any "seasons"... The damn squirrels seem to die around here all the time. One of my new neighbors inquired about it a while ago. He was curious why, since we live in the woods, aren't there any squirrels around......

hahahaha

oooh id love to take my rifle out for some squirrels....need anything special for this? i have never been out before. any places in central ma to go?

No nothing special other then a hunting lic. and if you are using a 22 make sure you have a good back stop. I prefer a .410 I always worried about using a rifle and having a stray bullet. I would check out any wma's near you they like beech trees and oaks just walk for a while then sit for a while its a lot of fun and beat doing work around the house anyday.

I'll be picking up a .410 soon. I'd rather not use a .22 rifle.

I went out today and didn't see a single squirrel. Whenever I'm trying to sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday they always seem to be around making noise...

Had planned to go tomorrow, but life interrupted. Hopefully Friday, Saturday or Monday. Not as fun as snowshoes, but still a great time.

Recurve with blunts, anyone :)

I picked up a new NEF/H&R Pardner single shot in .410 w/ a fixed full choke. I'm taking it out tomorrow after work. Hopefully I have some luck.

Cape Cod

Are there any squirrel hunters on the cape that would be interested in getting together to go?
I haven't done that in years. I'm sure there are a lot of good places to go.

Viper22
I picked up a new NEF/H&R Pardner single shot in .410 w/ a fixed full choke. I'm taking it out tomorrow after work. Hopefully I have some luck

I got one earlier this week too. Love those guns cheap and will last for ever plus they are nice and light to carry beats my 870 for squirrel. If you don't mind where did you get yours and what did you pay?

Last edited:
I got it at DSG in West Springfield for $119.99....It was the last .410 H&R they had in stock.

I shopped around all evening. Stopped at R&R in Belchertown, they had one used for $135. AAA guns had a Mossberg 500E(.410) for $259.

I almost got a Stoeger o/u at DSG for $359, but I opted for the H&R for $119.

I got mine at tombstone in Brookfield for $124 but had to go to DSG in millbury for shells as Tombstone only had some # 9 shot I ended up with 2 boxes of remington # 6 game loads. I have not taken the gun to the club yet to pattern it but I might just skip that and take it out with me friday.

I got mine at tombstone in Brookfield for $124 but had to go to DSG in millbury for shells as Tombstone only had some # 9 shot I ended up with 2 boxes of remington # 6 game loads. I have not taken the gun to the club yet to pattern it but I might just skip that and take it out with me friday.

I picked up 5 boxes of the 20 count remington #6 game loads as well...I'm going out tomorrow after work. I'm not going to bother checking the pattern until maybe Saturday.

.410 gameloads aren't too cheap either. They were $12.99/box of 20. I thought it was expensive for a bastard child of a shotgun shell.

Last edited:
Here's some quick shots of the .410. Just took it out of the box & wrapper. Its got almost a tiger stripe look to it.

DSC01630.JPG

With 9 round Allen buttstock rifle ammunition carrier:

DSC016271.JPG

DSC01628.JPG

It bugs me BIGTIME that it carries 9 rounds and not an even #....[angry]

Quick question on squirrel hunting... I can't use a rifle due to my being in zone 11. I only have a 12 gauge. 410's seem hard to come by in stores. What about using a 28 gauge instead?

Quick question on squirrel hunting... I can't use a rifle due to my being in zone 11. I only have a 12 gauge. 410's seem hard to come by in stores. What about using a 28 gauge instead?

Dick's Sporting Goods had a decent choice of .410's.

-Single shot H&R
-Mossberg 500E
-Stoeger O/U

Its worth a trip to your local DSG to see if they have any in stock.

I was talking to Dick at Nick's Sport Shop and he said he could order a Saiga in .410

That would be awesome for squirrel!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom