• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Grapple load firewood sources and prices? SNH

Caveman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Didn’t see any threads newer than 2014 so figured a new thread was ok to check if anybody had any good sources for grapple loads in southern NH.

I’m in Wilton/Lyndeborough area. Trying to start planning ahead for the next couple seasons.

Where do you all get your log length and what did you see for rates? I got a fresh quote for $1050 for 7 cord from the guys I used last year. Last year the logs were gigantic with a couple that were starting to rot so they were a loss. Wanted to check around to see who others are using.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardwick gets the best quality stuff. Any local tree guys may be cheaper but quality is hit or miss.

who did you use last year?

Last edited:

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
$1050 sounds steep for 7 cords. Most that I've seen are in the 7-8 8-9 cord average usually for $100 a cord based on the low number cord estimate they give.

Theres a company in Andover Ma that sells 8-9 cord loads of huge stuff 24-48" DBH for $350 delivered.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I payed $700 for 7 cords, 3 years ago. Now getting quotes around $1000 for this, in SE of MA

Caveman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hardwick gets the best quality stuff. Any local tree guys may be cheaper but quality is hit or miss.

Last year I used Accurate Tree Service out of Hooksett. I’d use them again. But wanted to check who others are using in the area to compare. Can log length loads cross state lines?

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so how about the other way around? NH to MA?
Can’t cross state lines unless it’s kiln dried, due to all the bugs. Not so much in mass but in NH and ME, timber is big business. Can’t risk f***ing up a whole industry over some skin flints!!

Souhegan valley tree may be able to hook you up depending on what they just cut. I have friends that are loggers but they mostly sell to the mills and/or the wood is spoken for before it’s even logged!

Last edited:

Caveman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That’s what I thought about the only Kiln dried allowed to cross the border. Thanks I’ll give Souhegan a call. I called a few places last year and was quoted the same roughly $1k price. Only Accurate would deliver relatively early in the year. One was scheduling June deliveries in Dec/Jan. Another place never got back to me.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I heard hardwick went up to 1200 per load of first cut (the fat and straight parts only) hardwood for an 11 cord truck load.

MA prices are skewed because they can’t ship across state lines and there is barely any demand for timber commercially in mass. Many are lucky to get rid of it at all. There is a big demand here in NH, so prices are higher. Economics 101.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting conundrum: I know of some NH places that you cannot get to unless you drive through ME. I suppose I could be busted for interstate transportation of cord wood, but it's only a mile or so...
o_O

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting conundrum: I know of some NH places that you cannot get to unless you drive through ME. I suppose I could be busted for interstate transportation of cord wood, but it's only a mile or so...
o_O
The entire town of Chatham is cut off and only accessible through Maine, except for some possible Jeep trails in the summer.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

I got some cut/split stuff from a guy 10-15 yrs ago. A buddy of mine told me to call him. So I did. Left a check with my wife and the guy even drove it around the back of my house.

Half of it was rotted. Just light-as-a-feather rotted. Not real happy. Didn't use that tree guy again. Didn't follow advice of buddy ever again. LOL

I payed $700 for 7 cords, 3 years ago. Now getting quotes around $1000 for this, in SE of MA
Hmmm. That's odd. If I had to bet, I'd say energy prices were HIGHER 3 years ago than today.

I would also think you'll get a better deal across the board if you order in March of a pretty mild winter. So far so good here. By March, some of these guys might be hungry enough to cut prices. Gives you a full year of seasoning, too.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some cut/split stuff from a guy 10-15 yrs ago. A buddy of mine told me to call him. So I did. Left a check with my wife and the guy even drove it around the back of my house.

Half of it was rotted. Just light-as-a-feather rotted. Not real happy. Didn't use that tree guy again. Didn't follow advice of buddy ever again. LOL

Hmmm. That's odd. If I had to bet, I'd say energy prices were HIGHER 3 years ago than today.

I would also think you'll get a better deal across the board if you order in March of a pretty mild winter. So far so good here. By March, some of these guys might be hungry enough to cut prices. Gives you a full year of seasoning, too.
From hardwick??? I would be surprised

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Oh no. Just some dude that a buddy of mine said to call. "I'm getting some. You should get some too." He was pure-D wrong. The wood was crap. Friend said his wood was great with a "yeah I made out" attitude which told me either he doesn't give 2 craps about me OR he has no idea what good and bad wood is. LOL

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Just some dude that a buddy of mine said to call. "I'm getting some. You should get some too." He was pure-D wrong. The wood was crap. Friend said his wood was great with a "yeah I made out" attitude which told me either he doesn't give 2 craps about me OR he has no idea what good and bad wood is. LOL
Ok, I didn’t quite read you right the first time😎.

Tree guys can be hit or miss in terms of quality, they cut what people want gone, not selecting the good stuff like logging. Sorry you got boned, but that guy must have been psyched to get rid of that crap wood!! It all burns though, unless you have an EPA stove.

Top Bottom